• Article regarding the Chester Branch

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by gravelyfan

Just a quick drive-by report on the Route 10 area from Monday, July 5:

All old material (ties & rail) seems to have been removed in this area, at least from the Holland Switch west to the other side of Route 10 (except for within the Main Street and Route 10 grade crossings). New ties were laid out on the roadbed west/south of Route 10.
  by cjvrr

I took some photos last week, but had trouble downloading them. I will take more later this week.

Old track between Kuiken and Holland (except for rail crossings) has been removed. New ballast has been laid, new tie south of Route 10 and rail positioned for installation. We hope to start that later this week. Still some OTM deliveries needed before susbtantial amounts of new rail can be installed.

Brush cutting along 80-90% of the line has been completed and most has been chipped. Clearing to FRA standards at some crossings still needs to take place.
  by cjvrr

Sorry I don't have any photos, but new rail installation started south of Route 10 today (7/9/10). Most of the materials necessary for the project are now on site so production work has begin. Still waiting on shop drawings for turnouts to be approved as well as the precast panels for the crossings. Painting of the Berkshire Valley Road bridge to occur later this month or August. Brush clearing to FRA standards has occurred at most crossings and tree cutting along the line has been completed.
  by cjvrr

I posted some photos taken July 16th at the link below.

New rail has been installed from Main Street south to the Kuiken turnout. The area near Horseshoe Lake is being skipped at this time (long story) but it will be done prior to project completion.

From Main Street north the main has been installed up to the new turnout for the passing siding. North of the turnout location new ties have been placed for the main and siding, fastening to occur next week.

Turnout deliveries are still a few weeks away.

Work will progress north of Holland next week with track removal and re-installation based upon Holland's delivery schedule.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... 712&Page=2
  by blockline4180

Wow, good stuff Chris!! Thanks for posting!
  by cjvrr

During the last two weeks old rail and track structure was removed from just north of the Holland turnout to a point 1,500 north. As of Friday 500' of new track was complete, the other 1,000 had the line rail installed and the gauge rail was being moved over for spiking this week. That 1,500 of track will be in service by this Friday, August 6th.

After the next delivery to Holland the contractor will be up to the County Concrete property for the next section of track rebuild.
  by cjvrr

As scheduled the contractor will begin work within the County Concrete facility on August 9th. New crossings will be installed within their site.
  by Mike77E9

Saw this article in Yesterday's Star Ledger. As I know this is operated by the M&E, I thought I would post it here: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... y_rai.html

First few 'fair use' paragraphs below:
A 140-year-old active freight line in Morris County is being rebuilt for the future.
The Chester Branch railroad, a four-mile short line in Roxbury chartered in 1867, is undergoing a major overhaul believed to be its first total rehabilitation.
The $5 million project, funded with federal stimulus money, involves a complete removal of ancient rotted ties and obsolete tracks and installation of a stone ballast drainage bed and modern heavy-duty tracks and ties on the line owned by Morris County.
  by airman00

Nice to see an old rail line still active AND being fixed up to boot! This is not the NJ I know. (usually old lines are ripped up)

Anyway though I notice an old railroad crossing sign, and that it will be replaced. What happens then to that old sign? Does it get junked, because that would be a shame, I'd love to have it. So there's still hope for railroads yet. :-)
  by SemperFidelis

Henderson Manufacturing would like to increase their use of rail for inbound movements (tank cars) but the line was in pretty poor shape. Henderson is at the very end of rail.

Not for nothing, the grade crossing on Route 46 needed some work last time I crossed.
  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:Henderson Manufacturing would like to increase their use of rail for inbound movements (tank cars) but the line was in pretty poor shape. Henderson is at the very end of rail.

Not for nothing, the grade crossing on Route 46 needed some work last time I crossed.

Hmm, would Henderson be interested once the rehab is complete??
  by SemperFidelis

Interested in what?
  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:Interested in what?

Interested in using Rail service!
  by cjvrr

Group,

Please see the other thread listed below. I am the County's project manager for the reconstruction. The linked thread gives a lot of background information and updates about the project.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 27&t=61446

In short, the line currently serves Holland Manufacturing on a weekly basis this is approximately 3-1/2 miles south of Lake Junction (connection to NS). About a mile and half south of Lake Junction it also branches off to serve the County owned High Bridge Branch which also has a few customers. Mr Holland owned the line, but it has fallen into major disrepair. The County had the ability to get Federal funding to rehab the line and once that funding was locked in Mr. Holland transfered ownership to the County.

Additional Kuiken Lumber, which is south of Holland Manufacturing (and south of Route 10) has completed a very large warehouse / retail facility with a new rail siding. They anticipate beginning to receive lumber via rail toward the end of this year.

I post updates to the linked thread every few weeks so other railfans can follow the progress.