• Article on New Yards Post-Sandy

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

Linden's a yard. But is Garwood now technically a yard? Granted, an industrial track, running track or siding can act as a yard in effect.
  by BigDell

The new facilities are in Linden and Garwood
Linden. The old GM plant? That's now a NJT yard? Were those CR or Amtrak tracks originally? How does that work? Agree with Nick re Garwood. Too bad the old CNJ Cranford yard doesn't still exist, that'd be a proper yard.
  by Thomas

But, wouldn't these new yards also increase congestion on the NEC?
  by Ken W2KB

Thomas wrote:But, wouldn't these new yards also increase congestion on the NEC?
No. The new yards as I understand it will only be used to store trains during massive storms ala Sandy or perhaps for long-term storage like in Garwood. So years can and likely will go by without any movements to and from these yards.
  by nick11a

BigDell wrote:
The new facilities are in Linden and Garwood
Linden. The old GM plant? That's now a NJT yard? Were those CR or Amtrak tracks originally? How does that work? Agree with Nick re Garwood. Too bad the old CNJ Cranford yard doesn't still exist, that'd be a proper yard.
It would seem that NJT has procured Linden Yard or gained usage rights from Conrail.
  by mrsam

Haven't been through that area recently, but doesn't the Linden yard have the catenary strung up on only two of its tracks? Also, as I recall, the cat wire trails off a short distance into the yard, on both of the wired tracks -- no more than a few hundred feet in, and only comes back a few hundred feet before the other end.

The Linden yard has a lot of tracks, and they appear to be in pretty good shape, as I recall, but electric equipment might have some difficulty moving around, in there; but it can certainly accomodate a lot of the coast line diesel equipment, at least.
  by steemtrayn

Electric equipment for emergency storage would probably be towed in with the pans down.
  by kilroy

Stiles Street Yard in Linden is ex-Conrail, exx-PC, nee-PRR. It hasn't been used in several years. For a while it was being used as overflow storage for Port Reading.

I believe there is one track fully wired (first track closest to the NEC) and another couple that have partial electrification. I'd have to actually look and count tonight or tomorrow morning while going by to tell you for sure though.
  by 25Hz

In a pinch they could use a retired pair of locos to power wires for this yard. ;)

Yes, i am kidding.
  by kilroy

Got a chance to take a good look this morning and the two tracks closest to the NEC are wired their full elngth. The next two tracks are wired for a few yards after the switch. Due to the length of the tracks, they would need to be switched by diesels or you would need to shove 30+ cars in at a time.
  by 25Hz

Those tracks have been wired for as long as i can remember, and i believe are the last remnant of conrail's electric freight operations inherited from PC. I think a diesel switcher worked the yard in its heyday.

In any case, i'm really glad this resource is being utilized vs some huge expensive project being pushed for flood-proofing the yards. Better to move all your stuff & let the yard flood than put all your eggs in one basket & lose it all if the yard floods.
  by kilroy

I know for a fact the yard was switched by diesels in the PC era and would have needed to be in the PRR era as well. Looked on the way home Friday and there are three AC Motor off signs so make it two tracks fully wired and three briefly wired.
  by 25Hz

kilroy wrote:I know for a fact the yard was switched by diesels in the PC era and would have needed to be in the PRR era as well. Looked on the way home Friday and there are three AC Motor off signs so make it two tracks fully wired and three briefly wired.
Makes sense, just enough wire to get the engines where they need to be.
  by pumpers

From all the buzz going on about Hurricane Joaquin, it sounds like the high-ground storage yards might get a workout this weekend. Although the last I heard the worst might be south from us maybe in Virginia.
Guess if they put anything in these storage yards they have to suspend or severely cut back service??
JS