Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by AMTK84

This afternoon while the equipment for train 2223 was heading east into Union Station, the engineer reported that METX416 was having difficulty loading at all. A mechanical forman rode out on 2223, and the trip went okay. The said forman got off at Elgin on the return trip, with full knoledge that METX416 was having the same problems as before. Then between B-35 and Spalding Road train 2227 (METX411 West) reported that he saw smoke coming from the wheels on METX416. The train was stopped, and inspected, nothing found. The train attempted to continue, and stopped about a quarter mile west of Bartlett when tower B-17 told him to change ends and come back to Elgin. As a result of the dispatcher's orders train 2246 was terminated and the equipment sent back to the Elgin yard. Train 2248 (METX8467 East) picked up passengers from 2246's equipment at National Street; train 2245 (METX417 West) was canceled and 2245's equipment was used for 2247. The crew of number 2246 took the equipment from WX-1 (METX122 West) to Big Timber Road behind 2243 (METX425 West); when 2247 arrived at Big Timber road the crew from 2246 took 2247's equipment back to the Elgin yard, and the crew on 2247 took WX-1's equipment to become number 2252.

by doepack

Looks like 416 has an imminent date with Western Ave shops...

One question: Was WX-1 one of those "passenger extras", or was it merely a deadhead from Western Ave to balance out the equipment in Elgin so as to protect Monday AM rush hour?

by MetraF40C607

416 has been a POS since day one. Not really surprising that that unit is breaking down.

by F40CFan

doepack wrote:One question: Was WX-1 one of those "passenger extras", or was it merely a deadhead from Western Ave to balance out the equipment in Elgin so as to protect Monday AM rush hour?
Yes, WX-n trains are the extras that they run the day before holidays. I rode that puppy on Good Friday and it was nice. They should have more trains that make those stops on a regular basis.

416 should have a date with the scrapper.

by Metra 47 607

416 should have a date with the scrapper

Yes I totally agree and so should the rest of them.

by metra 613

LOL What else is new with them,How about 401 to 427 to the scrapper thats better.

by doepack

F40CFan wrote:Yes, WX-n trains are the extras that they run the day before holidays. I rode that puppy on Good Friday and it was nice. They should have more trains that make those stops on a regular basis
I've noticed that Metra will add trains like that every now and then, but will only advertise it within the downtown terminal, it never seems to make the website unless the extra service is being offered systemwide, i.e., for the July 3 Taste fireworks, or on Thanksgiving eve. Didn't see any Good Friday extras on UP-W, though...

by MetraF40C607

The extras were posted on Metra's site, but you had to look under each individuals line's schedule to be able to even know that they were running. Usually when this happens, they also cancel one train and put the WX-# train in it's spot.

by F40CFan

MetraF40C607 wrote:Usually when this happens, they also cancel one train and put the WX-# train in it's spot.
In this case, when they have one WX-n train, 2237 (the 5:17) is annulled and 2239 (the 5:23) is extended to Elgin, rather than terminating at Roselle to fill in.

When they add two WX-n trains, another evening run is annulled, but I can't remember which one off hand.

On the Milw-West, the conductor usually announces the WX trains for a week or so before they run. Sometimes there are sheets on the trains with the one-day schedule printed on them.

by MetraBNSF

When BNSF adds extra trains, they're usually numbered in the 9300 or 9400 series. One thing i notice is when extra early trains are run, later trains usually aren't cancelled, the sets are just deadheaded back to CUS.

by doepack

Metra obviously has more control over their ability to run "extras" on lines that they own and operate directly, like Milw-West, or the Rock. BNSF seems to work pretty well with Metra in terms of accomodating and coordinating the extra schedules as well. Union Pacific, on the other hand, isn't quite as flexible. For instance, according to the current terms of the contract, UP won't run UP-W Metra extras on "minor" holidays, such as Good Friday, and when the extras run on the July 3 Taste fireworks night, or on the eves of Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's a one-way trip only, the equipment is not allowed to deadhead back downtown for another trip. Not very efficient true, but until the contract is reworked after the new improvements to this route come online, this will continue to be the reality...

by AMTK84

I rode behind 416 yesterday, the engineer said it ran great. My Metra source confirms that they're really trying to fix 'em up; 416's turbocharger problem was fixed, and 425 is a very efficient engine, it got our inbound train into Chicago 3 minutes early with a slow down for track work.

by doepack

AMTK84 wrote:I rode behind 416 yesterday, the engineer said it ran great. My Metra source confirms that they're really trying to fix 'em up; 416's turbocharger problem was fixed, and 425 is a very efficient engine, it got our inbound train into Chicago 3 minutes early with a slow down for track work.
Wow!! Finally, a POSITIVE report on the MP36's! Almost thought I was on the wrong message board...

by MetraBNSF

It seems that most of the problems occuring with the MP36's are on the MILW lines since they have the majority of them. But, how are the MP36's faring on the BNSF and RI? I know they seem to do well on BNSF...

by AMTK84

Tonight train 2243 arrived National Street something like 3 minutes early with METX411. From what I am told they're (411, 415, 416, 417, 425) great units when they work propperly.