• Approach Limited at Bay Street Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Lackawanna565

I just found a photo of the signals north of the station before the curve. Both of them show that as their most favorable aspect. I thought there were switches ahead. I did a search on Google Earth and found nothing. The person that took the photo said it was for the curve. But on the Keystone Corridor at MP 52. The signal that was there and before that showed clear for the fifty mile per hour curve. I know they can use clear and normal speed in the area can be 40 or 45mph.
  by cobra30689

I'm not qualified up there so I cannot speak for THAT signal, but there could be a number of reasons why you see that aspect. Down on the RF&P where I run (65-70mph territory), a Stop signal is often protected 2 blocks in advance.....by that I mean an Approach Limited---->Approach------>Stop signal (or Restricting). Does not necessarily mean your next signal will indicate a diverging move.....remember the indication simply states "Proceed approaching the next signal at Limited Speed".......
  by nick11a

NJT sometimes uses an advance approach, approach medium or approach limited to slow trains down prior to an approach. Don't know about this spot however. I haven't been by there in many years.
  by Jersey_Mike

Lackawanna565 wrote:I just found a photo of the signals north of the station before the curve. Both of them show that as their most favorable aspect. I thought there were switches ahead. I did a search on Google Earth and found nothing. The person that took the photo said it was for the curve. But on the Keystone Corridor at MP 52. The signal that was there and before that showed clear for the fifty mile per hour curve. I know they can use clear and normal speed in the area can be 40 or 45mph.
Different railroads have different policies regarding using restrictive signal indications for civil speed control. NJT does this frequently, Amtrak does not. You can't keep making overly broad comparisons.