• Apparent Lack Of SL V's On Lansdale-Doylestown?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R5Dailyrider

Seems like the SLV's are few and far between on my line. Given the slowed production/delivery of SLV's whe will we see modern equipment?

Changed thread title to MichaelBug's title below. -ed
  by Patrick Boylan

I don't know, but unless I'm mistaken the majority of the 'old' equipment is mid 1970's silverliner 4s. Will you consider revising the thread's title?
  by MichaelBug

R5Dailyrider wrote:Seems like the SLV's are few and far between on my line. Given the slowed production/delivery of SLV's whe will we see modern equipment?
They are showing up more often on Lansdale-Doylestown than they had been, but still, not so much on the longer peak-hour consists, IMO. I see V's now about 40% to 50% of the time on Train 509 in the AM. (509 is usually a 4-car consist.) On the other hand, I haven't seen V's at all on Train 6576 in the PM (7 cars Monday-Thursday, 6 on Fridays) & don't expect to do so for the foreseeable future.
  by Limited-Clear

Guys keep in mind it's not as simple as just putting a set on a train because they can, you have to consider storage at the end of the night, the yard where the equipment finished might not be able to accommodate the extra cars, the set you ride might uncouple and couple to other cars in the day, if your train has fives they need to either make sure the equipment that couples and uncouples are also fives, or make changes possibly shorting other trains and delaying other trains to get compatible equipment in place, the fours and fives can't yet operate together like the twos threes and fours did for years in revenue
  by rslitman

R5Dailyrider wrote:Seems like the SLV's are few and far between on my line. Given the slowed production/delivery of SLV's whe will we see modern equipment?
Still a lot more frequent than on the West Trenton line. The next time I see a V on reverse commute trains 328 or 371 will be the first time. (They are actually peak direction trains on the Elwyn line, which, being a traditional Pennsy line, naturally gets favored with the Vs and other perks.) I rarely see Vs on the Reading side, but when I do, they are on the Lansdale/Doylestown line, a "necessary evil", I guess, in order for SEPTA's most favored line, which is often paired with Lansdale/Doylestown, to get them often.

The ones I saw on the Trenton line on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend were not paired with Chestnut Hill East or any traditional Reading line. They were Temple U. trains whose numbers started with 97.
  by ExCon90

Trenton trains, regardless of equipment, are not paired with CHE on weekends, I presume because of the disparity in passenger loadings north and south of Center City (Trenton, of course, being south of Center City) -- they'd have either half-empty 4-car trains to CHE or jampacked 2-car trains to Trenton. CHE and Elwyn seems to be a good fit on weekends.