• Anything new happening on the New England Central?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by SnoozerZ49

I don't see to much about the New England Central, does anyone have any news how things are going over there? Is it business as ususal ? Is business good or bad? Any news would be appreciated.

by RS115

The current issue of Railpace has a good article about the 10 year history of the NEC including current ops with some good pictures. www.railpace.com for dealers carrying/contact information.

by NellsChoo

Winter weather has prevented us from visiting Palmer, but I read the resturant there should be open again the end of April, so we will be down there again munching on clam strips and watching the trains!

Is there another easy-access area where people can spot NECR?

JD
  by p&w3901

Millers Falls isn't a bad spot to watch them come through. NEC heads northbound through there around 6:30-7A, and you can get some nice shots of them on the trestle crossing the Millers River, then chase them north through Northfield, Vernon VT, and into Brattleboro. And since Millers Falls is where they and the big G run side by side, you can railfan 2 for the price of 1!!

by bshrdr

NECR is farily active down on the south end of the line - still running 2 trains a day, 608 & 610, both are now based out of Palmer despite what the Railpace article says (I'm one of the authors). They were in the process of changing the schedule around, and moved 610 from being based in Montville to Palmer when the article was going to press. Had to put something in there... :) Even now, they're not as predictable as before - more trains outlawing down this way in CT than before.

Either way, traffic on the south end is pretty good - 608 (now Palmer to New London) is anywhere from 10 to 40 cars, and 610 (switcher between Pamer & Norwich), is typically around 20 cars.

They do, however, seem to be a bit power strapped, even with the 4 newly arrived LLPX leasers.

Other than Palmer, I can't think of any really decent place to sit & catch action. Lack of trains kinda forces you to chase. If you do chase, the Railpace article does have some of my favorite photo locations listed.

-Tom