• Anybody hear rumors about UP buying parts of CSXT?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by CSX Conductor

Have any of you UP employees heard any rumors lately about the UP possibly buying parts of CSXT's former Conrail lines? (i.e. Chicago to Boston)
  by UPMW2000

Hello, I am employed by UP, and recently attended a town hall meeting with our COO Dick Davidson, and someone asked this question (rumors have been flying for a long time about a UP/CSX merger, CSX buying UP, and vice versa, and even a possible merger with NS) Mr. Davidsons' reply was that the UP currently has a good business relationship with both CSX and NS and that to try to merge with one would destroy that relationship with the other, and that no such merger or purchase was going to occur, as UP would like to continue their good relations with both as well as expand their business dealings with both companies...........
  by UPMW2000

Hello, I am employed by UP, and recently attended a town hall meeting with our COO Dick Davidson, and someone asked this question (rumors have been flying for a long time about a UP/CSX merger, CSX buying UP, and vice versa, and even a possible merger with NS) Mr. Davidsons' reply was that the UP currently has a good business relationship with both CSX and NS and that to try to merge with one would destroy that relationship with the other, and that no such merger or purchase was going to occur, as UP would like to continue their good relations with both as well as expand their business dealings with both companies...........
  by UPMW2000

by UPMW2000

by LCJ

Why would I do that?

What Mr. D. is quoted as saying makes sense. UP has their hands full right now just trying to run the giant system they have currently.

As a rule, this kind of rumor is usually "crap."

by CSX Conductor

Thanks for your reply.....or should I say reply times 5 lol

Yes, I agree that the UP is busy enough with what they have for volume versus manpower.

I also know that mostly everything you hear on the rr is rumors, and nothing more......i was just curios if that one was heard on the UP side.

Thanks again

by slchub

CSX Conductor, the rumor still floats about here 2 years later. How about on your end?

by pablo

I wish I understood how these rumors pop up....

Actually, I do. The more I've thought about it (and this includes the gomer who recently brought up the NS-buying-Guilford-rumor) I totally see how these things start.

1. Foamers. These people haven't the faintest idea what's going on, and usually ask dumb questions that serve no purpose. These rumors are also usually the most outlandish and easiest to dismiss.

2. Intelligent foamers. Count me, I suppose, in here. I can see a railroad map as well as anyone, and wonder why this stub track or that stub track or that under-used mainline still belongs to XYZ railroad when it could be used much better by ABC railroad. We shake our heads...and come up with ideas that are much smarter than what's currently out there, without realizing there are always very sound ideas for the way things are.

3. Union ameliorations. X jobs are lost to either a shortline or mainline downgrade. Members grumble. Someone, somewhere within the ranks talks about a new coal contract, or new customer, or the purchase of all or part of another railroad as a way to keep everyone focused on the horizon instead of the job loss at hand. You'll have to ask your local trainmen if it works.

There's more, but this is a start.

Dave Becker

by mikec880

hahaha

by mikec880

hahaha