• Any restroom facilities in NJT locos?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by hsr_fan

A friend asked me about how engineers deal with the inevitable biological functions that are bound to occur during a run, and I didn't have an answer. Are there toilets on NJ Transit's locomotives?

by TAMR213

I know there are on at least some. But I dunno how an engineer is going to "go" during his working time, except for when hes laying over, because of things such as the deadmans pedal and the alerter.

by Jtgshu

Yes, there are bathrooms in the locos - Ive frequently used the ones on the motors, especially because im a rearbrake, and the motor might be righ tnext to me, and of course, no bathroom car in the rest of the train or anywhere near me. They are a last resort however. The 46's are nice, sort of, because they actually have a door, but the '44's they are just right out there in the middle of the engine room.

the Geeps have them in the nose - never been in one of those though.....smelt it though!!!

by Lackawanna484

TAMR213 wrote:I know there are on at least some. But I dunno how an engineer is going to "go" during his working time, except for when hes laying over, because of things such as the deadmans pedal and the alerter.
------------------------

Guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. There is some time built in for checking the pans, waiting for a hurrying passenger, etc, so there's time for nature.

by Jtgshu

You might think we have a door problem, or that there is a stop signal and we are simply waiting to go, but meanwhile, we have railroad its just that we are waiting for the engineer to come out of the can!!!!

It sounds better to say "check your doors crew" or "I don't have my door lights" or whatever than "I gotta hit the head, we'll go when I get done!!" :D

by james1787

Heh, next time I hear that on the PA.. I'll probably chuckle. Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go!

by rcbsd45

And the moral of this thread is: Engineers are forbidden from indulging in White Castle hamburgers before going on duty...... could seriously affect the whole schedule, better known as "Shirley Time" to those in the ranks....

by ABCD

The PL42AC has a small crapper with a door, located in the vestibule between the cab and electronic lockers.

by Nasadowsk

<i>And the moral of this thread is: Engineers are forbidden from indulging in White Castle hamburgers before going on duty</i>

They're called 'sliders' for a reason!

by Irish Chieftain

I remember during the final (?) Try Transit Festival, I had a look at the "facility" within the nose of a GP40PH-2. Interesting setup, and interesting way to access it...

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:You might think we have a door problem, or that there is a stop signal and we are simply waiting to go, but meanwhile, we have railroad its just that we are waiting for the engineer to come out of the can!!!!

It sounds better to say "check your doors crew" or "I don't have my door lights" or whatever than "I gotta hit the head, we'll go when I get done!!" :D
Hahaha. That brings a hole new meaning to "two" to go. :wink: (If you don't get it, think about it for a second.)
  by howardr142

How do you access it? Need to go down a set of stairs?

by n01jd1

Ya know what they say about "sliders", Eat a sack, squirt em out the back!!!

Nasadowsk wrote:<i>And the moral of this thread is: Engineers are forbidden from indulging in White Castle hamburgers before going on duty</i>

by nick11a

n01jd1 wrote:Ya know what they say about "sliders", Eat a sack, squirt em out the back!!!

Nasadowsk wrote:<i>And the moral of this thread is: Engineers are forbidden from indulging in White Castle hamburgers before going on duty</i>

I guess then you aren't talking about the low level Comet Is.

by n01jd1

I am guessing that NJTransit's GP40-PH-2 and GP40-PH-2B's have the old style hatch setup versus the steps and "full size" door found on later GP and SD series. The old style hatch looks like you need to be a contortionist to get down in the nose to answer a call of nature. Of course even with the steps, one only uses the facilities on a locomotive as a last resort!!! I have seen gas station restrooms that were cleaner.

Irish Chieftain wrote:I remember during the final (?) Try Transit Festival, I had a look at the "facility" within the nose of a GP40PH-2. Interesting setup, and interesting way to access it...