• Any hand-thrown switches on Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CSX Conductor

Jersey_Mike wrote:Also the east end of the Springfield, MA station complex is all hand throw and also have hand throw derails to protect trains in the "yard" from rolling onto the Boston Line at CP-9(7?). The Vermonter is currently the only train that might have to deal with these.
At the beginning of this thread it was mentioned that the poster was asking about hand-throwns other than yards. Also, the Vermonter is not the only train that would traverse the switches at the east end of Springfield Station. All trains that run straight through from DC to Springfield need to be turned for the return trip. The normal move is to disembark all passengers and then after everone is off the train pull east onto the B&A @ CP-97 and pull clear of the westbound signal for CP-97, then shove west on the east leg of the wye @ CP-98 and onto Guilford's property at CPR-1. After clearing the signal @ CPR-1 you'll get the signal south to CP-98 which is the diamond over the B&A and then you will be at Sweeney Interlocking (Amtrak). After clearing Sweeney the Springfield Line TD will line you back into the station and then you shove back into the station and tie down the train.
  by Tadman

With regard to Bob's comments, isn't that part of the job to get off the train and throw the occasional switch? I don't want to sound insensitive, and there's parts of every job that stink, but it strikes me that a conductor would have the expectation that some ground work is required.
  by Jersey_Mike

At the beginning of this thread it was mentioned that the poster was asking about hand-throwns other than yards. Also, the Vermonter is not the only train that would traverse the switches at the east end of Springfield Station. All trains that run straight through from DC to Springfield need to be turned for the return trip.
The Vermonter is the only train that runs through the hand throws as part of a revenue operation and the station tracks are technically a yard, but function as through tracks in the case of the Vermonter and were constructed as such back in New Haven days.
  by chuchubob

Tadman wrote:With regard to Bob's comments, isn't that part of the job to get off the train and throw the occasional switch? I don't want to sound insensitive, and there's parts of every job that stink, but it strikes me that a conductor would have the expectation that some ground work is required.
Of course that comes with the territory. He simply wasn't thrilled about going to the ground in the dark cold rainy night, and he had a couple people willing to listen to him complain. Also implied was that, now that we're in the Buck Rogers era, remotely controlled switches are feasible.
  by Noel Weaver

chuchubob wrote:
Tadman wrote:With regard to Bob's comments, isn't that part of the job to get off the train and throw the occasional switch? I don't want to sound insensitive, and there's parts of every job that stink, but it strikes me that a conductor would have the expectation that some ground work is required.
Of course that comes with the territory. He simply wasn't thrilled about going to the ground in the dark cold rainy night, and he had a couple people willing to listen to him complain. Also implied was that, now that we're in the Buck Rogers era, remotely controlled switches are feasible.
This is a problem that I have found too with SOME Amtrak train crews. The best passenger people both on the engine and
on the train have had freight experience. Then they know what a little work is like.
Last month I rode an Amtrak train that was delayed and being delayed enroute and not one member of the train crew
bothered to make any announcement of any kind to the passengers on this train. I travel on a pass and I am not going to
make a fuss because of that but if I were paying a considerable amount of money to ride from Albany to New York, you can
bet that I would raise hell with Amtrak over this.
I can remember over the years that passenger crews had to switch out cars, throw switches and do other ground work and it
didn't hurt them one bit and it won't hurt them one bit today either.
I was just plain disgusted after the Amtrak trip to New York last month. Incidentally it was a much different story on the
return when everybody in the crew was much more interested in keeping the passengers informed as the delays were still
there. Just like everything else, some are much better than others.
Noel Weaver
  by GWoodle

There may be an item here or over on Trains where Amtrak would use a siding to meet a long freight. Hopefully back in & pull out? I've seen it done on BC rail, but that was with the nimble Budd RDC cars.
  by ZephyrHogHead

Trains 5 an 6, hand throw switches going over most of Donner Pass with TWC, ABS.
  by timz

For those not familiar-- Donner Pass is mostly double track, with a couple stretches of CTC single track. There are hand-throw x-overs, and a couple hand-throw sidings, but Amtrak won't ordinarily need to use them.
  by ZephyrHogHead

I forgot there are also some hand throw x-overs and siding switches 5 and 6 use between elko and winnemucca. it is all double track,abs, directional moves.
  by Tom

I remember a similar post a few years back. I wrote back then about the terminal track at the old L&N station where the Crescent calls. I assume the switch off the main into the terminal track is still hand-thrown.
  by realtype

EricL wrote:And then even in the case of power switches, many are equipped with hand throws for the trainman to use when the dispatcher can't get the switch to line & lock remotely. This happens a lot in winter, due to ice and snow buildup - even in spite of preventative measures like switch heaters.
Yeah, this happens a lot. The switches north of WAS Union Station for the CSX Metropolitan Sub (Amtrak Capitol Ltd., MARC Brunswick Line) and Capitol Sub (MARC Camden Line) seem to malfunction almost weekly in the winter. I've been on trains a number of times when the conductor has had to hand throw the switch even with the switch heater working. Just last week this happened to a train I was riding (and it's still summer). It sucks since we have to proceed at 15mph until the next signal, and the line gets congested in rush hour.
  by jp1822

Despite heated switches on the NEC, many malfunction in colder winter months. One person noted this happens in Maryland. Well I can also say that this happens in NJ as well. Sometimes when it is really bad, Amtrak will only permit NJT to operate on local tracks - express trains as well as local trains. It's gotten better in recent years, but I do remember being on an express train and being told over the PA by the conductor - "Amtrak is operating us on the local tracks to minimize switching movements. Happened for NEC trains and NJCL trains. Needless to say the NJT conductors I encountered that cold winter day were livid! Even between Newark and NYP, they limited the switching at Secaucus Junction.