• Another SEPTA Suicide

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by amtrakhogger

Nothing really, unless Septa can somehow install fences everywhere and have all the trains run at restricted speed. Now that engineer has to deal with that fatality and his or her own emotions to boot. Like "Did I dump it fast enough?" You tend to believe you had something to do with it or that you could have done something different to prevent the incident.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Luckily, there are easier ways out for those that are committed that are less costly and traumatic. Overdose from cyanide powder, is quick and easy.

(Note: I am not trying to promote suicide, but pointing out that these gruesome tragedies didn't have to happen if another choice was made.)
  by JeffK

That's so tragic. The operators I've talked to say you never really get beyond the emotions and second-guessing.

And sitting here in my office I too don't rationally see how someone can decide to end it all in a way that traumatizes so many others. But having lost a high-school friend to suicide - a guy who never tried to reach out to any of us before taking his life - I don't think there's much that could be called rational.
  by ExCon90

I would think that if someone has reached the point where he sees no other course of action and, whatever the method used, disregards the effect on those closest to him, he's not going to give any thought at all to the effect on people he doesn't even know. And even fences don't prevent suicides by people standing on station platforms.
  by the sarge

Y'all are just way off. Why even think of different methods of suicide, a utopian fence-lands, or permanent 15 MPH slow orders? The picture below is what needs to be mandated for all who venture outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ExCon90

After making my previous post it occurred to me that as long as there are grade crossings it's absolutely pointless to try to devise ways of preventing suicides.
  by bikentransit

So all of those suicide prevention signs aren't doing the trick.
  by MikeBPRR

bikentransit wrote:So all of those suicide prevention signs aren't doing the trick.
So you've said before. Would you rather SEPTA do nothing?

Maybe someone who is about to jump sees one of those signs and calls. How does that not make those signs worth it?

As someone who has lost people to depression, I am offended personally by the assertion that their lives are not worth the effort and the money.
  by bikentransit

I never stated that the lives weren't worth it. What I am questioning is the effectiveness of this program in the face of an ongoing suicide problem using SEPTA trains.
  by NorthPennLimited

bikentransit wrote:I never stated that the lives weren't worth it. What I am questioning is the effectiveness of this program in the face of an ongoing suicide problem using SEPTA trains.
So what better idea do you have to help society mitigate suicide by railroad equipment?

Or are you only good at taking a dump on other people's ideas?
  by the sarge

NorthPennLimited wrote:So what better idea do you have to help society mitigate suicide by railroad equipment?

Or are you only good at taking a dump on other people's ideas?
Considering his views on septa and that 99% of his posts are negative or whining and crying, I figured the signs were for him.
  by Limited-Clear

The last thread you had that blasted these signs got locked, you must be very selfish not to recognize that these signs regardless how stupid, silly or pointless you think they are actually are there for a reason and do help people, as was pointed out before you will not get statistical information on them as it is a help service for someone at the point of no return, the last thing they are going to do is say "hey I was going to end it all but I saw this sign", they call and talk to someone who tries to help them.

The signs are widely displayed all over the world so they do have an effect, you will never know the death to survival rate as you can't ask a dead person if they just ignored the sign.

This maybe harsh, but grow up and realize people have issues, they get depressed and anything or anyone to help is a positive, the signs are a great step forward and show that these large companies do have compassion and are concerned with what goes on (wouldn't they look cold if they just turned around and said too bad, not my problem)

Suicides are and have been for decades an unfortunate reality of railroads
  by AlexC

bikentransit wrote:I never stated that the lives weren't worth it. What I am questioning is the effectiveness of this program in the face of an ongoing suicide problem using SEPTA trains.
Signs (of any kind - gun free zones, drug free zones, school zones, speed limits) are only going to stop people who are not firmly committed to the act they are going to perform.

Literally more brain power and electricity has been wasted on this thread than the expense of putting them up.

To prevent further waste, I am locking this thread. If you want it opened, PM with a very good reason to.