• Amtrak Metroliner Paint question

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by green_elite_cab

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any unrebuilt Metroliners in the Phase II paint scheme? I know #820 had a Phase II nose, but I recently found a photo of an unrebuilt Metroliner Snack Bar coach in complete Phase II paint. Unfortunately, it is being hauled by a GG1 and this obscures the road number.

Until this point, I had not seen any Phase II painted Metroliners that did not have the Auxiliary roof hump. Any hints would be appreciated!

Chris
  by MACTRAXX

Chris: The Phase Two Metroliner color scheme was applied using Scotchlite sheeting...

Yes-car #820 was the original test car with the revised front end color scheme - it did lead to what would be used on the
1979 rebuilds of a portion of the Metroliner MU fleet front ends - the sides had Scotchlite sheeting similar to what the then-
new Amfleet cars had applied on them...I always liked the large Helvetica "Amtrak" that was used and I would have liked to
have seen this front end version used on the cab cars that some Metroliner MU cars would be converted to...

The Metroliner MU fleet had a variety of color schemes and as far as I know the only possible paint that was used were on the
fiberglass extrusion frame on the front ends and a few cars got a white-painted "window mask" (the red side window "pinstripe"
was Scotchlite) which was short-lived - remember that stainless steel is not designed to be painted...

That Snack Bar-Coach that you describe may have been a experimental variation of that Phase Two color scheme - I would need
to see the picture that you mention - along with the car number - to determine more...

The Metroliner MU cars had a few variations of their logos and color schemes initially and the 1979 rebuilds were at least some
effort to standardize the color schemes used on this fleet and as many here know soon afterwards the Metroliner MU fleet was
to be "de-moted" to Harrisburg-Philadelphia-New York service and their reference as "Capitoliners" began in earnest...

MACTRAXX
  by MP85 803

The café was the 868. It was actually a hybrid of the phase I and phase II paint. The pointless arrow and white area on the fiberglass nose sides were covered over with the phase II Scotchlite stripes and the front repainted with the large Amtrak while the remainder of the stripes remained from the phase I scheme which had more white above the red and below the blue stripes.