Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by scopelliti

Anyone have more info about the accident this morning where an Amtrak train hit a parked LIRR train in Penn Station track 14? See: http://us.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/04/ ... index.html

Looks like no one was seriously hurt.

by PatPend

I knew something was up this morning. At around 8:30 am I got off the C3 at Hunterspoint Ave. and saw a number of NYPD milling about the platform, and an M7 (which I've never seen stopped at Hunterpoint Ave before) parked on the other side.

Here's a link to another article:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longi ... ge-big-pix
  by klesko25

I was on the 8:20 from Lynbrook usually gets in at 8:54. Once we got to Woodside we sat there for 45 minutes. Got into penn at 10:05. unfortunately I've been reading that there were a few serious injuries. Hopefully everyone will be all right.
  by bellstbarn

I heard two descriptions on the radio. One said the Amtrak assailant was a "work train," the other said an "empty train." What was the locomotive? Number or type? thanks.

by DutchRailnut

reported empty Amtrak train 184 coming from sunnyside yard with a AEM7.

by LIengineerBob

Amtrak 184 with AEM-7 #948 (DH move from SS yard)
LIRR 2099 with M-1 #9200

by tp49

I was trying to find a page once linked to on the old board where it showed the track map and layout of Penn just to get an idea as to exactly where this might have happened. If anyone could point me back in the right direction to the link I'd be appreciative.
  by bingdude

I think we all saw the news footage. CBS-2 got to interview the Brakeman.

Looks like they met at the East end of the platform for track 14. The meatball (AEM-7) was sitting in the middle of the interlocking there.

Is 9200/9199 the next pair to get scrapped?

by KFRG

Good question Bingdude,
I guess it all comes down to structural integrity of the car. It would be nice to see 9200 repaired, but with the M1 retirement process im not so sure.
BTW, if my memory is correct, I believe that I walked thru 9200 on a KO train.

-Tom

by DutchRailnut

it shows the strenght of those 35 year old cars. Mr Nasadowski may now concure that the FRA standards are not there for the cats butt.
now over last 35 years things have gotten heavier so new cars have heavier crush strenght again.

by krispy

How about the nitwits in the press, take Newsday yesterday for instance. All in one story referring to the engineer as the motorman, driver and operator - covering the Subway, the british and a different craft, but not the engineer. Then it's followed by a diagram showing the incident occurring in C and not JO interlocking. Who did the research, Dr. Conehead?!?
  by Head-end View

Glad somebody else besides me noticed that. Supposedly the incident happened in line 2, and the Newsday diagrams shows it at lines 3-4.

BTW Krispy; do you have a problem with Dr. Conehead? He gets answers to a lot of interesting traffic safety questions. I think he strives for good quality info in his column. Newsday in general does print a lot of innacurate stuff, but I think the Dr. Conehead column is a notable exception. :wink:

by krispy

No, no problem with the good DR. As if we could all be that handsome, and if you have to wear a cone, I guess that's a good place to put it... :wink:

But my slight was more aimed at the paper in general, and it was aimed at whoever did the homework must have consulted the highway dude, and not the rail dude. :(

But hey, that's our local rag. Even the big boys can make major gaffes, as evidenced by the NY Times when they checked out their "experienced rail witness" with their take on the incident on the Bushwick...
  by N340SG

I would suspect 9200 will have to be scrapped out of turn. The center sill is cracked. It is not one of the overhauled M-1 cars, so it will go scrap sooner or later anyway.
I guess that's the third best news for the LIRR, outside of no major casualties, and the accident not being their fault. They can just get rid of the car involved, without sweating it. How often does a RR have that option?

by Nasadowsk

Tom - that's what I've heard. Which stinks cause it's a bit annoying to see an old unit go because of an Amscrewup, but hey...

Hey, you guys need any inverter savvy people in hillside? I finally got tired of elevators the other day....