• Amtrak Great Dome Schedule Sightings Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

mtuandrew wrote:I would love the lounges and, apparently, V-II “diners” to have forward- and rear-facing cameras a la GoPro, connected closed-circuit to a flatscreen/projector at either end of the car.
Mr. Stephen's, believe it or not that was once done.

The Rock Island's Aerotrain, which in essence, was ten GM bus bodies on wheels in place of tires hauled by an EMD SW-1200, had just that; a TV camera atop the gussied up Switch Engine, that had its picture sent to a TV in the Parlor Car.

Now this was 1955, and HDTV was not around. So I guess the passengers had to make do with grainy Black & White.

I have no idea how long that hung around, but by the time I got to lay eyes on the Aerotrain during '61, it was in commuter service.
  by ryanov

It looks like while there's no complete glass ceiling, the glass goes up much higher on the short domes than it does on the full dome.
Gilbert B Norman wrote:The Rock Island's Aerotrain, which in essence, was ten GM bus bodies on wheels in place of tires hauled by an EMD SW-1200, had just that; a TV camera atop the gussied up Switch Engine, that had its picture sent to a TV in the Parlor Car.
Thanks for sharing that. Boy that's a strange looking thing.
  by ExCon90

ryanov wrote:Thanks for sharing that. Boy that's a strange looking thing.
The windshield and grill treatment was pretty much what new cars looked like at the time. Mr. Norman, am I correct in recalling that the last car (not an obs) had something resembling tailfins?
  by Tadman

Has there been any speculation about disposition? Perhaps the upside is more regular service on Alaska, Via, Conway, or the like. Any northern climate owner wouldn’t have the air conditioning needs, and Alaska and Conway run slower trains on shorter routes, meaning perhaps less wear on moving parts. A gentle retirement gig if you will.
  by Rockingham Racer

I'll beg to differ. In North Conway today, it's going to be sunny and in the mid-80s. I would not want to be in a full length dome today without air conditioning.
  by mtuandrew

Rockingham Racer wrote:I'll beg to differ. In North Conway today, it's going to be sunny and in the mid-80s. I would not want to be in a full length dome today without air conditioning.
Right. 85 and humid on the tundra is still 85 and humid.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Would it have a future somewhere else or just sit laid up in one of their yards.
  by mtuandrew

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Would it have a future somewhere else or just sit laid up in one of their yards.
I’m sure the GN Historical Society would love Ocean View, they’d definitely make room for it at MTM Jackson Street, but Amtrak will probably mothball the car in Beech Grove until Anderson retires.
  by Backshophoss

Ocean View will join the Pacific Parlors at Beech Grove,hoping for a return to service if and when Mr Anderson leaves 1 mass.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I don't think Anderson retiring or not has anything to do with retiring the Great Dome. The whole point is that the Great Dome has been operating for so many decades and it has gotten extremely costly to keep repairing it over and over. It is better off not operating on any mainline passenger train.
  by CRail

Threats persist of long distance trains being cut, diner services are being cut, private car services are being cut, and the dome car is being retired. You don't think these are related?
  by John_Perkowski

ryanov wrote:It looks like while there's no complete glass ceiling, the glass goes up much higher on the short domes than it does on the full dome..
Budd built, yes.

ACF built, no

P-S built, depends on the customer

SP homemade 3/4, no.
  by Leo_Ames

If Via Rail can keep rolling with mid 1950's rolling stock that safely crosses the continent in comfort and style, I find it difficult to believe that this car's mainline days just have to end now.
  by mtuandrew

Counterpoint: I could take cross-country trips in a ‘55 Chevy Bel Air, suitably rustproofed and upgraded to 1990s tech standards. It would be a lot of fun for at least part of that first trip, but should I rely on it as my daily driver?

Amtrak needs to invest in modern single-level lounge cars, something that will change the eastern LD game like the Superliner Sightseers did for western LDs.