• Amtrak Grand Central Terminal Operations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Mr. Harlem Line

Back when Amtrak used GCT, did their trains have a locomotive on both ends when going into GCT?

by DutchRailnut

They use to have a F40 and FL-9 on long trains from Albany were F40 was cut of at Harmon and Fl9 went in by itself. the train arrived on track 39/40/41/42 and diesel shut down, the Niagra switcher would pull train around GCT loop after discharging and shove it either into yard( tracks 2 tru 10) or into trackd 24 tru 26 for next departure.
there was no need for two diesels in regular service.

by shlustig

When Amtrak came into GCT, TurboTrains were restricted to Tks. 23 and 24 which had been equipped with the 480v stand-by power. Tk. 23 was the one originally used by the United Aircraft Turbo on the former NH as an overhead vent was provided at the block end of the track.

Standard equipment trains normally came in on the Upper Level Loop (Tks. 38-42), unloaded, and ran around the Loop, through the car washer, and were shoved into the East Yard (Tks. 3-10) for servicing. The Lake Shore and other long consists were split onto 2 tracks.

Switching and servicing (except Commissary) was performed by PC / CR / MN employees. Amtrak was billed for the services.

Until Amtrak took over the engine and train crews, the Amtrak service on the Electric Div. was worked into the normal railroad engineer and firemen crew schedules. Train crews worked in Hudson Div. service between GCT and ALB. Enginemen worked HAR / ALB, but this was later changed to GCT/ ALB.
  by bwparker1

Did Amtrak ever bring trains into Grand Central Terminal?
  by CarterB

Yes, up until 1991 when the Empire connection was made from the West Side line to Penn Sta. Empire Corridor trains and some LD trains.. LSL, Maple Leaf, Adirondack...
  by chrisnewhaven

Nope, Amtrak followed the same route as Metro North. From the junction with the West Shore Amtrak turned down the mainline to Mott Haven and then over the Park Avenue Viaduct and Tunnel. The West Shore was abandoned and decaying during this time, until Amtrak rehabed it.
C.J.V.
  by kinlock

In simplicity, former NY Central trains went to Grand Central and former Pennsylvania RR trains went to Penn Station.
  by bwparker1

New Haven also went into GCT correct?
  by BobLI

yes, New Haven trains went to GCT. I believe they also went to NY Penn.
  by Otto Vondrak

New Haven served both GCT and Penn Station. At some point, all of the New Haven's through trains to Boston were moved to Penn Station, I think after the Penn Central merger. Only New Haven's commuter trains remained in Grand Central after that. I think.

Amtrak used Grand Central Terminal from 1971 until the new Empire Connection was opened in April 1991. It was a move to consolidate all services to Penn Station (makes sense).

-otto-
  by jonnhrr

After the New haven was absorbed into the Penn Central at the end of 1968, there were 4 trains that terminated at Grand Central and 4 to Penn Station, the latter being trains that continued onto Philadelphia and Washington (the Colonial, Senator, Patriot, and Federal). I believe this continued up until Amtrak in 1971. There was also the Turbotrain, which I believe started out as a GCT run, but also switched to Penn, probably after A-day, which made more sense as it could then connect to a Metroliner. That is my recollection as I used these trains to travel from Boston to school near Philly. I generally tried to get the Penn runs as the transfer from GCT to Penn was as inconvenient then as it is now.

Jon
  by george matthews

bwparker1 wrote:Did Amtrak ever bring trains into Grand Central Terminal?
I have several times alighted in Grand Central, from upstate New York and from Canada in the 1980s. And departed to Chicago.
  by lirr42

How about a map showing what lines were used when: (lines approximate)
  by Backshophoss

Believe congress mandated the "forced" change to NY Penn from GCT,there's the rare reroute into GCT for emergencys,
costruction detours. Last years National Train Day moves from Shell were different, might happen again this year along with
GCT's 100th "birthday" celebration.

I remember a few years back Amtrak had to work on DV movable bridge,some Empire service trains went to GCT,
Lake Shore and a few others took a grand detour via MO tower to Woodlawn to Shell then to NY Penn.