• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ExCon90

ApproachMedium wrote:double slip switch with movable point frogs. That should be good for up to 30mph though i doubt they will make any moves that quick.
From the photo it looks like a #20, good for (afaik) 45 mph. Doesn't make much difference to an arriving train, but it lets a departing train accelerate to track speed faster than if it had to hold to 30 until clear of the interlocking.
  by Railjunkie

Part of the TLM has arrived in Albany. Jobs should be posted by the end of the month. According to the manager in charge track work will be done at night and reloading of the gons will done in the morning. The new CP143 will be cut in on Friday the 13th which also has a full moon so what could possibly go wrong... Once that is cut in work should begin on the platforms??? Seems Amtrak Mech is ahead of schedule while the contractor keeps falling behind
  by Rockingham Racer

Maybe I missed it, but where is CP 143? South of the station? And could anyone post a schematic?
  by jhdeasy

Greg Moore wrote:Nope, at the south end of the platforms (I didn't look at the north).

This is in response to a request (requirement?) from the EPA I believe (I'd have to go through my notes) to cut down on idling. For example, in morning (say 5:00 AM) I've seen up to 3 Empire Service trains in the station idling, waiting for their respective trips.
After checking the timetable, I see that this makes sense. There are 4 southbound departures from ALB before the first northbound train arrives at ALB. All four of these trainsets could be staged at platforms in the station during the night, connected to ground power, awaiting their departures in the early morning hours.
Rockingham Racer wrote:Maybe I missed it, but where is CP 143? South of the station? And could anyone post a schematic?
I believe CP 143 is immediately north of the (currently being extended) high level platforms at Rensselaer station.
  by ThirdRail7

Railjunkie wrote:Part of the TLM has arrived in Albany. Jobs should be posted by the end of the month. According to the manager in charge track work will be done at night and reloading of the gons will done in the morning. The new CP143 will be cut in on Friday the 13th which also has a full moon so what could possibly go wrong... Once that is cut in work should begin on the platforms??? Seems Amtrak Mech is ahead of schedule while the contractor keeps falling behind

There is something you don't hear every day! :wink:
  by Greg Moore

Railjunkie wrote:Part of the TLM has arrived in Albany. Jobs should be posted by the end of the month. According to the manager in charge track work will be done at night and reloading of the gons will done in the morning. The new CP143 will be cut in on Friday the 13th which also has a full moon so what could possibly go wrong... Once that is cut in work should begin on the platforms??? Seems Amtrak Mech is ahead of schedule while the contractor keeps falling behind
Well apparently a failure of the calendar since the full Moon is on the 21st, not the 13th :-)
  by MACTRAXX

Rockingham Racer wrote:Maybe I missed it, but where is CP 143? South of the station? And could anyone post a schematic?
RR and Everyone:

I would like to see where this interlocking is myself - is it behind the Rensselaer Maintenance Facility or closer to
or at the Hudson River Bridge? Mile 142 is right at the ALB station on the south end visible from the platforms.

MACTRAXX
  by Railjunkie

CP 143 is just north of the platforms. Its being rebuilt with new puzzle switches and as I joked about Friday the 13th well lets just say it happened
  by jhdeasy

I've read that the new International Railway Station and Transportation Center in Niagara Falls NY (NFL) is close to completion.

Has Amtrak announced a date to begin serving the new station, in place of the existing station off Lockwood Road?

The existing facility will remain as the location for inspecting, servicing and repairing equipment, as well as parking private cars.
  by Railjunkie

Last I heard there was a $$$ issue between Amtrak and the county. Plus the area around the station was never developed as promised and there a still many vacant store fronts in the new building. Dont hold your breath
  by wintower

Anybody know anything about the D.O.T. car that was behind the motor on an Empire train sitting in SSYD this morning at about 6:15a. when I passed by?
  by Backshophoss

Was that DOTX 221,aka "Office of Safety" ?? That car is an unmanned, automated track geometry testing car that sends reports in via
cell phone tech,is placed on the head end next to the power.