• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Red Wing

west point wrote:Rockland. Seasonal probably. Main thing is will it not detract from time keeping. Maybe best way is to make it an all year flag stop. Call systems can be tied to signal systems so passenger(s) need to activate 5 minutes before traveling thru station. Not quite cost netural but close. Stopping and starting does cost something + extra crew salary if train arrives later than schedule.
The track doesn't go past Rockland.
  by Rockingham Racer

Red Wing wrote:
west point wrote:Rockland. Seasonal probably. Main thing is will it not detract from time keeping. Maybe best way is to make it an all year flag stop. Call systems can be tied to signal systems so passenger(s) need to activate 5 minutes before traveling thru station. Not quite cost netural but close. Stopping and starting does cost something + extra crew salary if train arrives later than schedule.
The track doesn't go past Rockland.
Yes, it is quite impossible for a terminus to be a flag stop.
  by swist

The track to Rockland from BRK is owned by Maine Eastern, I think. Will NNEPRA want to deal with another possibly unfriendly track owner behind PAR and the MBTA?
  by Red Wing

swist wrote:The track to Rockland from BRK is owned by Maine Eastern, I think. Will NNEPRA want to deal with another possibly unfriendly track owner behind PAR and the MBTA?
State of Maine owns the tracks and once the top of the year happens CM&Q will be the new operator on the line with an opening in the contract for passenger service.
  by Dick H

As I mentioned in the Maine Eastern Forum, when it was announced they would not get a new contract,
The Downeaster train set (usually the four car set) that lays over in Brunswick for 5 hours plus, could
make a round trip Brunswick to Rockland and return. They could put on a fresh crew at Portland and
they could take #681/#691 to Brunswick and Rockland and take #688/#698 from Rockland to Brunswick
and back to Portland. No new or additional cars would be needed and the usual push-pull equipment
could just change ends at Rockland. Maybe try a Friday-Saturday-Sunday operation for the summer next
year. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. One other item would be what level of track maintenance
will be required of CMQ? It seems unlikely that they will maintain it to Class #3 standards, unless their
new contract with the State of Maine requires it.
  by MaineCoonCat

Dick H wrote:One other item would be what level of track maintenance
will be required of CMQ? It seems unlikely that they will maintain it to Class #3 standards, unless their
new contract with the State of Maine requires it.
Can anybody get their hands on (or find a link to) a copy of the Performance of Work Statement? "Enquiring minds want to know!"
  by charlesriverbranch

According to the MBTA Web site, they're replacing a bridge in Winchester this weekend and running buses from North Station to Woburn. Amtrak told my girlfriend today that the Downeasters are running but will not serve Woburn Saturday or Sunday.

So, the obvious question is: will the Downeasters use the Haverhill line?
  by swist

The announcement at the station says they are busing around construction.
  by TomNelligan

charlesriverbranch wrote: So, the obvious question is: will the Downeasters use the Haverhill line?
Yes, they will take the traditional routing of Boston & Maine trains to Portland, via Reading.
  by swist

That must mean they are not busing around Woburn, but busing to/from Woburn to/from Reading or some station not on the Lowell line.

Or else I'm nuts and didn't read anything about buses!
  by MEC407

The Downeaster web site states:

PRIORITY ALERT: October 17 & 18 only - No service to/from Woburn

Due to track work in Massachusetts this Saturday and Sunday, the Downeaster will not service the Woburn/Anderson station. All other stations will be served according to the published schedule.

No mention of buses providing service to Woburn.
  by swist

OK. I'm completely losing it. Must have been bus service in some other place - MBTA. Sorry.
  by Dick H

Downeaster Timetable Changes effective Monday, October 19, 2015

Seasonal service to Old Orchard Beach discontinued until Spring.

#689 and #699 will leave Boston at 11:00PM, instead of 11:20PM
with other station times about 20 minutes earlier, also...
  by sicariis

Planning Thanksgiving eve travel, and rather than deal with the I-93 Distressway traffic this year. I think we're going to take the Downeaster to Boston and then either NER or Acela to PVD.

My question is this, Is all of Exeter, NH train station overnight parking? And what are my chances of getting a spot around mid afternoon. I've travelled through EXR on the weekends and never had a problem, but all the talk about commuter parking has me a bit worried, and considering alternatives like taking COAST Route 7 to the train station or going to DHM.
  by Rockingham Racer

According to the Amtrak website, Exeter has 10 short-term and 72 long-term parking spaces for Amtrak passengers.