• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mtuandrew

Thanks, btg. That does look a lot more like the “Panera” model that Hoss references above. I hope they see their way to providing coach meals again too, and reinvest in a better par-cooked system.

Amtrak, if you’re reading, you could offer a quite palatable steak & potato entree with minimal actual “cooking.” One of your suppliers must offer sous vide cooked steaks, other meat entrees, and baked potatoes, so all you need to do is put them into an in-car convection turbo-oven able to develop a good char. I can try to set you up with reps from a major cafe chain if you want a comparison! I’m looking forward to trying that concept in my own kitchen soon.
  by Albany Rider

Mr. Norman:

I just tried the link you posted and got the message: "Oops! We cant find the page you want".

The page also said to "Call Julie"

I wonder if Amtrak has bothered to give the menu to agents at staffed stations along the impacted routes.

Tony
  by Gilbert B Norman

Tony--

There's something happening....

As you noted, the "Fresh and Contemporary" menu has been withdrawn from the website; a generic "contemporary" news release has been posted. No specific mention of menu items - nor "Caliente o Frio".

Somehow I think One Mass is in crisis mode (not that it is ever otherwise) at the moment.
  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Fresh Choices":
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... u-0518.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote
I do give them credit for listing an email address [[email protected]] on the menu so that feedback may be given.
[/quote]
Just for the hell of it I did send an email to that address complaining about this concept and told them that touting this as an improvement was insulting to Amtrak passenger's intelligence. I invite you all to join me and express your opinions.
  by ExCon90

Amtrak didn't originate the idea, however. It was given a practice spin, so to speak, around 1967, when the every-third-day South Wind from Chicago to Miami was cut back to Louisville, with a separate train on the PRR Louisville-Chicago. Newspaper ads touted the new, convenient cross-platform transfer at Louisville. Hey, you go with what you got.
  by bretton88

JimBoylan wrote:At the moment, this link is active: https://www.amtrak.com/alert/contempora ... e-ltd.html
The press release has been slightly altered. There is now no mention of the possible food options available. I suspect that there was so much negative feedback to the menu that Amtrak is making some changes. That is probably why the menu has been taken offline. Though I will admit June 1st is a short turnaround for any changes.
  by Greg Moore

I'm still livid about this whole thing.

I was looking forward to taking the LSL to visit my son in Buffalo and as a coach passenger. I wanted the LSL expressly because of the diner. But apparently, they don't want my money.

I've already complained to Amtrak and their response was an insult to my intelligence by telling me how they were "enhancing" the customer experience. I'm still unclear on how "we don't want to serve you" is an enhancement.

I've also written my Senators.
Hopefully the message is getting across.
  by David Benton

bostontrainguy wrote:This is something I posted on another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a1iHs30gEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth a watch but at least take a look at 19:38. Why can't we at least have that!
Its also worth watching the video after it. In case its not the same one , a father and son document their trip from Milwaukee to Jacksonville.
On the Capitol the next morning , they are the among the first to the dining car, to find everything sold out , except precooked Cheese Burgers. A trip to the cafe car reveals a menu board with almost everything "sold out". Major disappointment.
The point is, was it really that great a experience, consistently?. If Amtrak can at least deliver the cold meals with reliability, and the extra viewdier storage allows them to carry more, it may be a better solution.
Of course , nobody has even tried these meals yet.
  by Matt Johnson

David Benton wrote: The point is, was it really that great a experience, consistently?. If Amtrak can at least deliver the cold meals with reliability, and the extra viewdier storage allows them to carry more, it may be a better solution.
Of course , nobody has even tried these meals yet.
All I had to do was look at the new "menu" to see that they aren't really meals at all. Honestly, I would never expect less from overnight sleeper service than one would get in Acela first class, which is in line with airline first class food at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3vud7uL1fA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's Amtrak; ten days out from "launch" and they've evidently scrapped one menu, and thus far have not publicized a replacement.

At this point, "betcha no change" on June 1. They might publicize some tag name like "Amtrak Fresh" between then and now, but it will be like United Airlines and their Polaris - big rollout followed by, save twelve aircraft, nothing .
  by electricron

Amtrak's high costs they're trying to eliminate are the costs of labor. A decade ago they eliminate the dishwasher, and it looks like they want to eliminate the cook and most of the waiter/waitresses today. They want to take it down to just one person in each car - the diner and cafe car.
That's the reason for the cold meals - there's no cook aboard the train. All the cooking is done before the food gets to the train.
Here's my suggestion for a better menu choice than what they originally proposed; think what most Americans would pack into a picnic basket. Various sandwiches using cold cuts meats, pork and beans, potato salad, potatoes and corn chips, fruits, ice cream, pies, cookies, and cakes. The menu wouldn't have to be that restrictive, there's plenty of items to choose from that could be served cold. But no, their original cold menu looked like some french chef made it instead of an American housewife feeding her family on a picnic.
  by bostontrainguy

LSL summer schedule has been posted showing the full dining car symbol and this note:

Dining: Contemporary and fresh dining choices for Sleeping car
customers onboard. Meals can be ordered with the Sleeping car attendant
and delivered to Sleeping car passengers through enhanced room service.
Sleeping car customers choose from a variety of quality, fresh and readyto-serve
meals. A Kosher meal is available with advance notice. Sleeping
car passengers have the option to dine at available seating in the Lounge
car or served in their bedrooms or roomettes.