• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NS VIA FAN

bratkinson wrote:If Amtrak food, even in Acela First Class, LOOKED as good as what VIA puts out for their business class.......
VIA Business Class is more of a First Class product than 'Upgraded Coach' on Amtrak. It used to be called 'VIA-1' and offers 2&1 seating, hot towel, hot meals, wine & liquor and lounge access. All trains operating in Windsor to Quebec City Corridor offer Business Class except a couple that are purely commuter orientated……and the more popular runs operate with 2 cars.
  by bostontrainguy

Just checked out the Cross Country Cafe on the City of New Orleans and I am a bit confused. First of all it's a Superliner diner, yet the very detailed 3-D tour shows no stairs or dumb waiter. The diner menu is different from the last time I checked (which was actually a different menu northbound and southbound I assume due to the late Chicago departure). It now has steak and grilled burgers and fresh eggs. Yet the 3-D tour shows no grill and no access to the kitchen below. It talks about the car having the latest in food preparation technology.

Can't figure it out. Anyone been on one of these?

https://www.amtrak.com/media/train_tour ... OLLER.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New menu:

https://www.amtrak.com/media/train_tour ... 111710.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old menus:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/282/669/Ci ... 111516.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/262/11/Cit ... 111516.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Backshophoss

2 possibilties,the dumbwaiter is buried in box area next to the display case,the "double barrel" trash can might be
where the "staircase" to the kitchen is buried.
There seems to be little storage space in the combined Galley/prep spaces,both "dry" and fridge/freezer spaces,
most of the storage is downstairs in the kitchen area.
  by Mackensen

As I'm sitting in the DC lounge waiting for Acela 2220 the attendant for 29 (15) rolled in to announce a "new menu" and proceeded to describe the new entrees (with great enthusiasm, and to the general pleasure of those present). Sure enough, there's a new (to me, anyway) menu for the Capitol Limited on Amtrak's website: https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/469/890/Ca ... u-0417.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Comparing against the old menu, it looks like a total overhaul (the steak is still there, of course). It appears these items are being rolled out to the other LDs as well. I don't have an LD trip scheduled in the near future, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who does if the new items are any good. Looks like a modest price bump across the board as well.
  by gokeefe

There are two things about this change that are very good. Perhaps most important the price increase. Second the improved menu selection which sacrifices none of Amtrak's best offerings and significantly improves secondary choices.

It's good to see them being able to increase revenues during a period of strong ridership. The better Amtrak does financially the less meat there is on the bone for their opponents.
Last edited by gokeefe on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by bostontrainguy

Interesting menu. I see the Silver Meteor has the same menu. Seems like more choices including a $36 meal which would be my choice traveling in a sleeper. Glad to see Amtrak is working to improve the food service even under pressure to reduce or eliminate it. I wonder if Wic Moorman has anything to do with this?
  by bratkinson

The new menu looks interesting. I'll be on the Cap on May 1, so I'll get to see what the new choices look like. But for me, I'll stay with my 'old reliable' that I've enjoyed in Amtrak dining cars for more than 40 years...steak at dinner and scrambled eggs in the morning. Taking the sleeper on an AGR point redemption makes it all taste even better!
  by gokeefe

bostontrainguy wrote:I wonder if Wic Moorman has anything to do with this?
That is perhaps the $64k question. Given the length of tenure and the strong focus on the strategic picture I think there probably was no direct involvement but perhaps something like, "Keep up the good work and try to make a little more money."

It's a really good sign that this initiative has happened. Certainly we know now that things won't be stagnant.
  by David Benton

Didn't Amtrak have 5 years to make the food service break even ? Or , was that a self imposed Boardman era thing?
  by David Benton

As a vegetarian, Stir fry noodles doesnt really cut it as the only dinner choice for a multiday ride. (apparently the other "healthy"dish is also noodles).
As someone pointed out on another board, many people don't like or cant eat shellfish, there is no other fish option. I'd probably try the noodle dish one night on a trip, unless it was really good , I'd probably stick to the veggie burger from the cafe for the rest of the trip.
  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:I wonder if Wic Moorman has anything to do with this?
That is perhaps the $64k question. Given the length of tenure and the strong focus on the strategic picture I think there probably was no direct involvement but perhaps something like, "Keep up the good work and try to make a little more money."

It's a really good sign that this initiative has happened. Certainly we know now that things won't be stagnant.
I have heard he was behind this.
  by AgentSkelly

Whoah, I just looked at the new menus for the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder and I'm impressed...now granted, I was always happy with the food in the dinning car on Amtrak, but this is a major turning point.

Amtrak still uses Aramark for their commissary, yes?
  by Arborwayfan

I have ridden on the City and eaten in the the Cross-Country Cafes. The stairs are still there, and I think the dumbwaiter is, too.
  by gokeefe

AgentSkelly wrote:Amtrak still uses Aramark for their commissary, yes?
Last I heard yes.
  by gokeefe

Tadman wrote:I have heard he was behind this.
Even better then. He has a lot of support within the railroad. All good signs.