• Amtrak Crescent Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NJ3rdRAIL

I apologize for the delay in this trip report. The week after our trip, my husband required emergent sugery and we have been a bit behind the ball while he is recuperating. I wanted to be sure to post this report as I appreciated all of the great assistance I received on this board (w/my endless questions) and want to share our experience with anyone who is interested.

4/16/04-OB- 19 NWK-TCL Viewliner Accessible sleeper, TCL-NOL two VL Standard sleepers

4/26/04-IB – 20 NOL-NWK Viewliner Deluxe sleeper

Backround: 2 adults (39/44 yrs), 1 toddler (2 ¾ year old), 5 weeks vacation time annually with about 7% of our salaries going toward leisure travel.

Historic Rate: (not quote)- $952.17 round trip using discounts from AAA and Carnival Cruise lines “Rail to Sail” program. For comparison, airfare quoted on same date in Oct. 2003 for same dates for 3 R/T on Continental (coach) from EWR to MSY=$1068 w/no meals. We utilized the train as transportation to our cruise port of New Orleans, LA. We booked this trip in Oct. 2003. Amtrak made an itinerary/sleeper car change in Feb 2004.

Disclaimer: This is my experiences and impressions of our rail trip. It is not a pro or anti Amtrak statement and there is no political or other agenda within.

The Trip: Check in at NWK baggage was quickly accomplished as we upheld the 50lb checked luggage weight limit to the [i]ounce[/i]. The baggage counter held our carry-ons until right before boarding as we arrived much earlier than necessary. Other than an Amtrak officer telling me to put away my camera, as photos were not allowed inside the station, we encountered no other security that I was aware of. We checked 2 huge trunks and carried on 2 rolling backpacks and a 24” Pullman that contained a smaller suitcase of our son’s diversions, a bed rail, purse and diaper bag. At the platform, we were greeted by name by the Sleeper Car Attendant (SCA) named “O.C.”- a true gem of an employee who promptly assisted us with carry on to our sleeper. He extended to us all the advertised services due first class passenger’s -complimentary juice & water, bed setup, meal calls, wake up calls and even gave us advance notice of good photo ops and walk off stops. He often stopped by for a “high-five” and a smile for our son and was overly attentive to him wherever we saw him. We tipped him $30 for his assistance. The IB SCA was the anti-“O.C.” and we missed the service we had on the OB leg of the trip. The IB attendant did not offer beverages, but pointed to the beverage station (often in need of replenishing) and said to help ourselves but to “go to the café and beg for coffee” as the sleeper car coffee machine was broken. The pax in the accessible sleeper on this trip were an elderly mobility challenged couple who were often heard calling in the hall for the SCA when he failed to heed their call button (they took all meals and refreshments in their sleeper-never leaving it.) Overall-we were pleased with our SCA’s service.

Train 19’s crew was NOL based except the dining car team. This NY based crew was not especially friendly but efficient enough. We were denied 1st meal seating as a group aboard who did not plan on eating wound up eating after all. The 1st available seating (even for 1st class pax who I understood to have priority seating) was at 7:30pm- not optimum with a little one, but we made do. The food far exceeded our expectations- we were not disappointed in the least with any of our choices. We dined on Delmonico and NY strip steaks done to perfection, burgers, chicken potpie, Jambalaya, turkey, Cornish hens, quiche and the french toast. The salads were crisp and fresh, and the desserts were to die for. DON’T pass up anything chocolate on the dessert menu. We were never disappointed in any meal choice.

Dining Car service on the IB 20 was horrible- we changed tables and stayed at one end of the car to avoid the bad server. There were 3 loud tables complaining about the server so our experience was not an isolated one. The dining car attendant also had a problem with leaving the right number of “dining car pax order forms” on our table. She balked at the fact I ordered off the regular menu and not the child’s menu for my son, but I do not give my son hot dogs or mac and cheese for dinner at home, so I ordered off the menu for him. I assure you he enjoyed the turkey medallions wrapped in bacon and the Cornish hen (twice) and ate about ¾ of each meal (he passed on the veggies that were a bit too al dente and spiced for his liking) and my husband finished what he left. The waiters were accommodating with bringing our son’s beverage in a lidded cup and a scaled down size ice cream with whipped cream after his meals. A side note- the traveling chef, a Mr. Abdul Something (a hyphenated name-please forgive my poor memory) asked us to participate in a dining car survey on the IB trip and I noted the server issue and raved about the food presentation, quality, portion size, etc. As a real foodie- I was pretty impressed over the “rail grub”. He said he was appreciative of my honesty regarding the service issue. We tipped at least 15% of the meal totals for all but one meal (another service issue not worth going into). We did not try any of the café car meals but the long lines at mealtimes indicated that it was in demand. The menu was limited and I must say the one meal I did see (Meatloaf) looked pretty like a large enough portion and the prices were reasonable. We did not purchase any beverages in the café- we enjoyed our own evening cocktails in our sleeper after our son turned in for the night. I did not notice anyone in the diner car purchase alcoholic beverages with their meals.

Our accommodations, as shown above, met our needs perfectly. The accessible without the single chair offered the most floor space for my son to use (I brought along a play mat and a few Thomas trains and he was a happy camper whenever he was not looking out the window from the comfort of his seat with the fold down table.!). The deluxe sleeper says it is ideal for 2 adults or 1 adult and 2 children, but we had no problem w/2 adults and a toddler. The open sink in the deluxe was too much of a temptation for our son, what I felt was the only negative about the deluxe (we "washed hands" no less than 10 times before the trip was through). The covered sinks in the standard sleeper were a better idea. In the 2 standards, we had no problem using the facilities when the other 2 bodies vacated it. Of note, on both OB and IB- the coach bathrooms often needed tending to (yes- I had to use one once and peeked into all of them looking for the diaper changing stations that I was told were on some trains but I never did find one.) The public shower in the sleeper car was always loaded with luggage. I did see the SCA move luggage for one guest, so I do not think it was an issue for anyone in a Standard to use it. As far as sleeping, my 6’2” husband slept in the upper berths of all 3 sleepers and slept well. I doubled up with my son on the lower/wider bed and it was tight but do-able. The video monitors worked in both OB sleepers but was not functional on the IB- the SCA told us “there is no tape to play”. There was an AC problem in the sleeper car going to New Orleans. Several folks gave up the sleepers toward the end of the trip and moved to coach just to be comfortable. Our Deluxe was pretty stuffy- but the hallway was worse. Not a big deal but other folks were quite uncomfortable. Our Standards were markedly cooler. We had the same card on the IB trip and apparently the AC was fixed (a fair trade for the non-operational coffee machine). We were happy to have the chance to utilize all the sleeper choices. We had no problems with the often mentioned thin curtains or mattresses or non-working lighting fixtures.

We were a bit disappointed when no Park Service staff was aboard on either the OB or IB trip as I was told that the seasonal service would be available for both trips. Not having been to the areas we passed south/west of Atlanta, I was looking forward to that. There were the Amtrak magazines in the café/lounge cars but we did not linger there as both were often cluttered with trash and train staff hanging around- it was not an inviting space. Neither of those 2 issues negatively effected our enjoyment of the trip.

The OB trip had few Public Announcements but the IB trip was another story. A very, um..”theatrical” café car attendant made so many extraneous announcements about his wares and hours, our sleeper car neighbor yelled “shut up already” to the amusement to all others within earshot. I am not sure why, but the step off /smoke stops were announced by the SCA on the OB but we were few and far between on the IB trip. We used our schedule and figured it out on our own. We were delayed about 2 hours behind freight at lunch time on the IB, but made up most of the time by flying through flag stops and arrived only a few minutes late into NWK. We were pleased with the time schedule (hey-the delay just meant more time on the train-we were in no rush!) :wink: .

One of the best reasons to take a train- the scenery. I have some awesome pictures of the WAS monuments, the Phila. Zoo, Atlanta skyline and a great little memorial garden in tribute to Jack Martin, a former NARP big-whig, the Alabama river and of course, the Causeway and sunset over Lake Ponchatrain. Also of note- my boys loved watching the engine change in WAS. On the IB trip- a private car was hitched on in Atlanta and removed in WAS. I wish I could give better details about the car itself, but it was a vintage gold and royal blue number and called “The Survivor”. It had the name E.W. Woolworth on it and I watched someone washing dishes in its kitchen. The crew told me that the trip cost Mr. Woolworth $2300 and that he would be entertaining guests in WAS. It seems an expensive hobby; I am glad I snapped a picture of it.

We strolled thru all of the cars on the train- we even got a rare trip thru the dorm car with the conductor (the sleeper car doors closed early at a walk off stop and there were a few of us still on the platform). I was surprised at the amount of room the coach seats offered and think this would be a great way to travel for shorter trips (and without our son). Much more arm/leg room than coach seats on any plane I have flown in recent years. Cost wise, probably fairly economical.

Our first LD trip was a wonderful experience and I would recommend it to anyone. I was worried the 30 hours of relative confinement would be a challenge for my little one but I can honestly say that he loved every minute of it and was a pleasure to travel with. One Amtrak employee (O.C.) made such a lasting impression on my son; he is still talking about “O.C. on the train” all this time later. Our usual vacations are local camping trips in our RV, cruise vacations and “condo-ing” in SC. Taking the train to New Orleans to begin our cruise was nearly a vacation itself. My husband has already earmarked one of our “camping weeks” next year toward a train trip instead and making the train our destination.

For our vacation dollar, I would rate this trip a 9.5 out of 10. The accommodations were more than adequate, the food and service exceeded our expectations, and the crew had some outstanding employees who I will applaud by sending off a short letter to Amtrak. Everyone should take a train trip at least once; more if they enjoyed it as much as we did!

Again, I thank the members of Railroad.Net for assistance with my many questions beyond what even Amtrak’s Guest Services and “Julie” could help me with. Your real life experiences and hints/tips helped make this trip as wonderful and memorable as it was. We cannot wait to travel by rail again... I can almost hear the whistle blowing now.
Last edited by NJ3rdRAIL on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

by updrumcorpsguy

I'm glad to hear you had a good time, and thanks for such a comprehensive report. You should try one of the western trains next!

...and yes, the deserts are wonderful. I'm not usually a desert person, but I always make room for them on the train.

by RMadisonWI

It's good to hear you had a great trip. I'd recommend writing to customer service (if you haven't done so already) complimenting your sleeping car attendant.

If you want to include the other plusses and minuses of the service of your trip, you can do so as well, but keep it short and sweet. Since you didn't seem to have any significant problems, perhaps its best to just focus on the one issue (your SCA).

by NJ3rdRAIL

Mr. Madison,

Thank you for the suggestion of using the KISS (keep it simple,stupid!!)principal in my letter writing to Amtrak. My report is rather long winded and it is a much better to send a brief letter to them. Besides, we had no real trip altering negative issues to speak of-just the praise for an Amtrak employee who made our trip the super experience it was.

I will do some research to see where the letter would be best sent. Thank you again.

SUSAN

by RMadisonWI

NJ3rdRAIL wrote:I will do some research to see where the letter would be best sent. Thank you again.

SUSAN
You can go to www.amtrak.com and click on "Contact Us" on the top bar, and use "Customer Service Inquiry" as the topic, and write your note that way.

Some folks even choose to write Amtrak president David Gunn himself regarding service (both positive and negative).

You could do that at:

David Gunn
National Railroad Passenger Corporation
60 Massachusetts Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002

by tunelowplayhard

Having enjoyed your rail trip as much as you've described in your post, might I suggest chartering a private car on Amtrak. Multiply your fun on the rails by 3 or 4. http://www.aaprco.com/
  by cityofmiami

I had my first East Coast train ride on the Crescent last Tuesday. I got to the depot from the airport on Marta with no problem due to the helpful instructions from a member of this forum. #19 was standing in the station waiting for me. We left on time and had a pleasant run zipping through forest with lots of fall color, rivers, lakes and small towns. By Birmingham we were running 25 minutes late, though we had no noticeable delays the whole way, which we maintained right up to Slidell and then backed into Union Station New Orleans five minutes early. If we crossed Lake Ponchartain I was not aware of it . There were two locos, baggage, transition, two sleepers, diner, lounge plus four coaches. The last two coaches were unused as far as I could tell (i.e. after Atlanta) and my coach was 1/3 to 1/2 full most all of the trip. It was very comfortable and I enjoyed it immensely. Already I want to come back and do the other half of the route north of Atlanta - maybe next April making my spring saga even longer!
I had thought that the station in Birmingham was way out of town but it didn't appear to be. I could see the famous statue of Vulcan brandishing his fist which I last admired close to fifty years ago!
The Crescent City is warm and foggy this morning which only adds to the atmosphere. I think I'll ride the length of the St. Charles streetcar line today. This great funky place I'm staying is on Canal St. and that streetcar stops right out front though I'm mostly walking and walking and enjoying every block.
Next week the Sunset back to the west coast and who knows what adventure that holds - she seems to be up to her old tricks again - yikes!
Happily yours, John Andrew
  by bill haithcoat

Hey, City of Miami, here I am on this forum, also. You mentioned Lake Pontchartrain--yes, you definately crossed it, spent quite a bit of time over it actually---it is just that it it gets so dark this time of year and back on standard time you did not see it. Too bad---it feels like the train is swimming, you cannot see land on either side of the train.

No, the station in BHM is not far from town, it is on the exact outskirts of it, actually. That was the former L&N station. The South Wind, Humiing Bird, Pan American, etc used it years ago.

Southern Railroad trains and your hero, the CIty of Miami, and some others used a different station, long since torned down. It was a little fiurther from town, as I recall. My childhood memores of it are very hazy, was never there too much. It was not WAY out in the burbs, though,it was surrounded by steel mills when they were operating. it was relatively close in. Just possibly yu remember some kind of suburban stop. BHM was large enugh to have one or two of those, and my memory of them is not great, here at work without reference to any of my timetables.

by LI Loco

If we crossed Lake Ponchartain I was not aware of it .
IIRC, Crescent drops down to 10 mph while crossing the Lake. You must have noticed that.

When I rode over Lake "P" in June, there all kids of fish swimming near the surface. Wished we could have stopped to catch supper. :-)
  by bill haithcoat

Some more thoughts, City of Maimi. I do not think Amtrak, when it took over the Crescent in 1979, ever used the "old" terminal station in BHM. I suspect it began using the old L&N station right away, because it provides for a direct route through town. The old station involved a long backing move. so that saved a lot of time.

In fact, even when the Crescent was still under Southern R.R. operation it is possible it started using the old L&N station even back then, just not sure. The last L&N trains operated 1971, just before Amtrak, so perhaps the Southern began using the old L&N station fairly soon after that, just not sure. (Southern did not join Amtrak until 1979).

As to old stations, ATl used to have two big downtown stations but the only trains left running also used the suburban Peachtree station.......so, they tore down the old buildings and the former suburban station became the regular station, which is why the station in ATl is so small---it was built as a suburban station. But also, as in BHM, the train goes straight through without the elaborate backing moves which were necessary back when there were big stations in ATL.
  by RMadisonWI

cityofmiami wrote:There were two locos, baggage, transition, two sleepers, diner, lounge plus four coaches.
That would have been a heritage dorm car, not a transition car (which is a Superliner).

by njtmnrrbuff

Four years ago, I went to New Orleans on the Crescent. New Orleans is a nice city. Yes, I do encourage you to ride the Streetcars. When I was down there, I rode the St. Charles. The Riverfront one is nice. Also, there is a freight line that runs along the entire riverfront there, the New Orleans Public Belt. They have very good frequencies. Dont be surprised if you see any NS toys.
  by cityofmiami

Does anyone know if dinner is till available on #20 if you board in Atlanta at 8ish pm? And how about lunch the next day before arrival at Penn Station? It seems to be consistently early these days? Otherwise, you would only be getting one meal, right? Thanks in advance for the info. John

by Ken W2KB

Last I took it north out of Alanta, a couple years ago, dinner was available. Also was lunch before Newark arrival, but it may have not been the full menu. Don't recall for sure, but there was a meal.

by hsr_fan

I took the Crescent from Atlanta to New York in the beginning of 2003, and at that time they served dinner late enough for me to eat. Unfortunately, the next day both breakfast and lunch were cancelled due to mechanical problems with the dining car.

This trip would have been Jan 31/Feb 1...I remember that, because it was while we were waiting for the engine change in DC that I heard the news about the space shuttle disaster. :(