• Amtrak CEO Open Letter to Congress

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

From Global Railway Review. This article is worth your thoughtful read.

Key points...

1. Sufficient funding

2. Intercity Passenger Rail Trust Fund

3. Access to railroads for new service and adding trains

4. Preference enforcement

5. New routes
  by Arborwayfan

Allowing Amtrak to use federal subsidies for new corridor routes for a while seems very, very sensible. Those routes are likely to bring in many new passengers. They are more likely than routes over 750 miles to be set up with trips that are at least as fast as driving or flying in mind. They seem like a good place to invest federal money. In fact, I would cut down or eliminate the PRIAA state funding requirement for the long term, not just for a short time at the beginning of a new route, because this kind of service seems like to the best use of federal money.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is expanded analysis of the letter by Bob Johnston in TRAINS Newswire:

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... egislation

Lest we not lose sight that every other agency in town is preparing a similar letter.

Ask me, it's just the latest rendition of The Litany.
  by Greg Moore

It is, but I think President Biden will make an effort to focus on infrastructure and we already know he's a fan of Amtrak.

I was perusing a slide deck Governor Cuomo presented recently on NYC infrastructure costs and it made a point of emphasizing how much infrastructure can drive growth.

I'll admit I'm not fan of the former President, but I really had hoped he'd try to move the needle four years ago with his promise of a $1T (or was it larger?) infrastructure initiative.

I think there's a real advantage to for this approach with Amtrak: Congressional members want to cut spending now (amazing how quickly a certain party can cite that mantra when they're not in power) but EVERY member of Congress wants more money for THEIR state. And we're going to need items to boost our economy.

I can see selling states (or call it buying votes) with promise of increased Amtrak service being a way to grease the wheels (so to speak) for other initiatives.

I have high hopes for the next 4 years for Amtrak.
  by Backshophoss

For NOW Gateway/Portal Bridge are the BIGGEST NEEDS,then bringing back DAILY service on the LD routes is NEXT.
New routes would be nice,BUT, will the host RR's allow them?
  by TheOneKEA

Backshophoss wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:31 pm For NOW Gateway/Portal Bridge are the BIGGEST NEEDS,then bringing back DAILY service on the LD routes is NEXT.
New routes would be nice,BUT, will the host RR's allow them?
I would also argue that another big need is a final up-or-down decision on replacing the Baltimore and Potomac Tunnel and refurbishing it for MARC services. The President knows all too well how much of a bottleneck and time penalty that tunnel is for the Northeast Corridor.
  by R36 Combine Coach

What about the 2-track bottlenecks north of New Haven including the drawbridges? It has been repeatedly stated
here that these are the reasons for no through Florida service from New England.
  by Backshophoss

Depending on how the PAR/PAS sale/split goes,Florida via Springfield may be possible,Coast Guard Doesn't give in easily on the Bridges for the"Weekend Fleet" crowd
  by John_Perkowski

What you didn’t notice was Mr Bill doubled down on mandated access. I think it’s to lose that portion of RPSA 70 and have Amtrak pay its full opportunity cost for time on the line.
  by Ridgefielder

Backshophoss wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 pm Depending on how the PAR/PAS sale/split goes,Florida via Springfield may be possible,Coast Guard Doesn't give in easily on the Bridges for the"Weekend Fleet" crowd
Don't forget it's not just the "Weekend Fleet" we're talking about. Naval Station New London is upstream of the Thames River bridge.
  by STrRedWolf

Right now, resuming full LD service would depend on load... and if the load's there, Amtrak can switch it back...

...but it won't hold a candle if the tracks are out and there's no money to repair it.

Gateway, B&P, any place on the NEC where it's 2 track only.
  by R36 Combine Coach

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:24 pm Gateway, B&P, any place on the NEC where it's 2 track only.
Sunnyside (Harold) to New Rochelle is also 2-track.
  by John_Perkowski

It’s the beginning of a new administration. Everyone is begging for money.

218+51+1.

Remember, there’s this small matter of the pandemic creating trillions of new federal debt.
  by eolesen

New money will be tough. Lots of states and agencies doing deficit spending due to Covid get first dibs.

New routes for Amtrak? Pipe dreams.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by electricron

New administration, new promises, old studies, no results to date; just the same old story.
Let's review what happen to trains during the last stimulus package from FY 2009.
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - WikipediaTransportation
Total: $48.1 billion, some in the form of Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) Grants
$27.5 billion for highway and bridge construction projects
$8 billion for intercity passenger rail projects and rail congestion grants, with priority for high-speed rail
$6.9 billion for new equipment for public transportation projects (Federal Transit Administration)
$1.5 billion for national surface transportation discretionary grants
$1.3 billion for Amtrak
$1.1 billion in grants for airport improvements
$750 million for the construction of new public rail transportation systems and other fixed guideway systems.
$750 million for the maintenance of existing public transportation systems
$200 million for FAA upgrades to air traffic control centers and towers, facilities, and equipment
$100 million in grants for improvements to domestic shipyards

$8 Billion for intercity passenger rail projects and rail congestion grants, with priority for high-speed rail
Where was that $8 Billion ultimately spent?
In $Millions
Chicago Hub/Ohio 2617
California 2343
Florida 1250
Southeast 620
Pacific Northwest 598
Northern New England 160
Empire 152
Northeast 112
Keystone 27

Congress allocated an additional $2.5 billion in the FY 2010 budget
In $Millions
California 898
Florida 800
Chicago Hub 428
Connecticut 121
Southeast 45

So, in two years that the Democrats had control of both the Congress and the President, they gave these totals for High Speed Rail.
California $3.241 Billion
Chicago Hub $3.045 Billion
Florida $2.050 Billion
Southeast $665 Million
Pacific Northwest $598 Million
Northern New England $160 Million
Empire (New York) $152 Million
Connecticut $121 Million
Northeast Corridor (south of NYC) $112 Million
Keystone (Pennsylvania) $27 Million

After 10 years of planning, engineering, and construction, trains going as fast or faster than 110 mph today are on the Keystone, Connecticut. and Northeast Corridors. Note, they were already doing so before 2009. Note, the US Government considers 110 mph and faster speeds High Speed Rail.

Of the $10.5 Billion set aside prioritized for High Speed Rail, only $260 Million was spent effectively, as promised. An additional $3.241 Billion was given to California to help build its High Speed Rail project, none of which is in service yet, and only 171 miles of phase 1's 520 miles is under construction. The total CHSR system is promised to be around 800 miles.

One could easily state that $10.240 Billion was wasted 11 years ago. If you wish to credit the CHSR allocation as not being wasted, $7 Billion was wasted 11 years ago.
Math = 10,500 - 260 = 10,240
Math = 10,500 - 3,241 - 260 = 6,999

Where did that extra $7 Billion go? It certainly was not spent on High Speed Rail.

Over $3 Billion of that 7 was spent in Illinois, most of it rebuilding the corridor to St. Louis with a promised 110 mph speeds - and if we are lucky trains will soon be reaching speeds of 90 mph. That $3 Billion was over promised and poorly delivered.
Over $2 Billion of that 7 was promised to Florida, which after all that was done, none of it was spent in Florida.
The remaining $2 Billion of that 7 was spent on choke points here and there throughout Amtrak's national network, including $600 Million for the Point Defiance Bypass, which has had just one ill fated intercity "Cascade" train ran on it. A new passing siding here, a bridge refurbishment here, a new train station here, and something else there.

Except for the $2 Billion promised to Florida, something somewhat benefiting Amtrak was done - but did we, Amtrak's customers, actually benefit from any of them? Was a new rail service provided, was a new corridor opened to new cities, did a foot of additional operating high speed rail enter service? I believe the correct answer to date is no.

And here we are about to see additional $Billions promised for High Speed Rail projects. Do you really believe within the next 10 years we will actually see a foot of additional high speed rail tracks operating with it? Or any new cities added to Amtrak's national network?