• Amtrak Capitol Corridor (California) Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

I just finished processing some photos from my recent California Zephyr trip and I was reminded of the pathetic speeds between milepost 18 and 32, which is between Richmond and Martinez where the tracks run along the bay. The speeds are 40mph passenger, 30mph freight for 16 straight miles, which is absolutely pathetic for a high speed corridor. Yes, the line is curvy as it hugs the coastline, however it is no more curvy than the infamous Connecticut crawl portion of the NEC which sees speeds of 60-80mph. Does anyone know why such a harsh blanket speed restriction has been applied to nearly 15% of what could be a major high speed corridor? Just getting the speeds to 60 would knock 7 minutes off the trip time. For comparison, bringing the 50 miles of 80mph track east of the bridge up to 110 would save a further 10 minutes
  by ThirdRail7

I've never been out there, so obviously I don't know the PCs. I will say that based upon your beautiful shots ( I love the bridges) those curves look pretty darn sharp! There isn't any banking on them, either. I'd venture to say there isn't a lot of space between them either. Raising the speed won't accomplish much if there's no space between the restrictions.

You really can't compare these curves to the Shore Line. Amtrak spent a small fortune to bank the curves so speed could be increased. I'm sure UP has no interest in spending the amount of money needed to make these changes fpr something that doesn't benefit them.. Additionally, if you increased the speed from 80 to 110, the host carrier would incur additional costs. You'd need more inspections, more ties, more maintenance etc.

Again, what does UP gain from this?
  by Jersey_Mike

This isn't about UP, but more the use of California's rail improvement funds. It stuns me that an 16 mile stretch of 40mph track on the Capitol Corridor has attracted little talk of improvement, while everyone is running around like a headless chicken throwing money at CHSR. Anyway, the real anomaly is that while of course curves are slow, there are more than a few sections of straight track on that 16 mile section, but the timetable simply covers the whole section with a blanket 40/30.
  by timz

The limit is actually a bit more than 40mph-- as I recall varies betw 40 and 45. Sharpest curve is 6 degrees, but probably only one of those. Don't think SP's limit was ever more than 45 mph-- maybe never more than 40. In any case, forget about 60 mph along the Strait.
  by Jersey_Mike

SI-02 MAXIMUM SPEED TABLE
Maximum Speed MPH
(Except as Below).................. 79 70
Between Mileposts PSGR FRT
106.4 to 2.2 Trk.1
106.4 and 106.0.................... 30 30
106.0 and 104.4.................... 40 40
93.5 and 92.5...................... 60 40
92.5 and 91.5...................... 30 25
91.5 and 90.7 Trk.3................ 10 10
91.5 and 89.7...................... 35 35
89.7 and 88.4...................... 20 20
88.4 and 88.1...................... 30 30
75.9 and 75.4...................... 40 30
49.4 and 48.6...................... 70 60
36.0 and 18.6...................... 40 30
18.6 and 17.4...................... 60 50
17.4 and 16.0...................... 70 60
5.2 and 2.2........................ 50 40
(Except as Below).................. 79 70
Between Mileposts PSGR FRT
2.2 and 106.4 Trk.2
2.2 and 5.2........................ 50 40
16.0 and 17.4...................... 70 60
17.4 and 18.6...................... 60 50
18.6 and 34.6...................... 40 30
31.0 and 31.8 Trk.3................ 30 30
34.6 and 37.5...................... 60 40
48.6 and 49.4...................... 70 60
75.4 and 75.9...................... 40 30
88.1 and 88.4...................... 30 30
88.4 and 89.7...................... 20 20
89.7 and 91.5...................... 35 35
90.7 and 91.5 Trk.3................ 10 10
91.5 and 92.5...................... 30 25
92.5 and 93.1...................... 60 40
104.4 and 106.4.................... 40 40
For reference the Martinez station is at MP32 and the east end of the Suisun Bridge is at MP 34.5.
  by timz

If you have the timetable, take another look. There's another set of speeds for Amtrak or the Capitols or something; some 40 mph, some 43, some 45, and a token couple of miles of 50.
  by Tadman

sounds like 16 miles of talgo country on a 300-mile route...
  by David Benton

capital corridor is 168 miles , not much of it is straight . but of course it is already committed to the slow heavy bilevel equipment , so probably a moot point .
  by Woodcrest295

I thinking of taking a trip on the CA Capitol Corridor from San Fran to Sacramento in April and i have a few questions.

Where is best to pick up the train in the Bay area? I have been thinking of either Jack London or Richmond.
Is it crowded going to Sacramento in the morning and back in the evening?
Does the train have a cafe car?
Does it run on time?
Any interesting scenery to note?
Can you sit anywhere on the train or do the conductors put you in a particular seat?
Does the line run with double deckers?
Is there wifi / outlets?

Any insights would be much appreciated.
  by ExCon90

If you're going to be leaving from San Francisco, a good way is to take the Amtrak bus from the Ferry Building to Emeryville. Richmond is also a good option, but you miss some interesting trackage. If the times work out, you can take the (infrequent) ferry from the Ferry Building to Oakland and walk a few blocks to Jack London, which gives you the street trackage on the Embarcadero (the Oakland one, First St. in more prosaic times), and with luck meet a train of double-stacks in the middle of the street. The way I like to do it is to take BART (Fremont or Dublin-Pleasanton) to Oakland Coliseum. There is a covered, elevated walkway from the BART station to the Coliseum itself, and a stairway opening off it which leads directly down to the Amtrak platform. Trains from San Jose stop there, and unless the schedule has changed since the last time I looked, there is a morning arrival from Sacramento which turns at the platform and returns to Sacramento. You can sit anywhere you like. You can see New Haven-style catenary supports dating from Interurban Electric days (they're also visible from BART on your way there), and you'll be comfortably seated when boarding begins at Jack London. After the street running you can see a lot of active yard trackage, and as you swing to the right you're passing Desert Yard, so called because there was no water supply (and this in steam days! -- I've read that any engine sent to do work in Desert Yard had to make sure of a full tender, and get itself back to a water plug before going dry). Somewhere off to the left is where the tracks went west to the Oakland Mole, from both the Sacramento and San Jose directions. Shortly thereafter is the former Oakland 16th St. Station, a considerable distance off to the right, away from the tracks. It was structurally damaged in the Loma Prieta earthquake and had to be abandoned, and since then highway construction led to a track relocation placing the railroad well away from the station. (In fact, if there's been redevelopment, it may not even be there any more.) More passengers will board at Emeryville. Shortly before Richmond the BART line comes in from the right. If you board at Richmond you'll have missed everything so far. Soon after Richmond you can catch glimpses of the paralleling Santa Fe route to the San Joaquin Valley. On your left from here to Martinez you have a great shoreline view, with a good many meets, since the Cap Corridor is now almost hourly, and you have the San Joaquins in addition. At Port Costa there are pilings in the water which I have to believe are the remnants of the ferry slips dating from the days of train ferries from Port Costa to Benicia, which lasted until the bridge was built at Martinez in 1930; you'll cross it right after leaving Martinez. The Overland Route, which you're on, rises in the center leaving Martinez, with a flying junction to the San Joaquin route on either side. (Trivia question: is this the only flying junction in the U. S. west of Chicago 68th St. (?) on the formerly IC Metra Electric?) Things get more routine after this, but there is an interchange (on the left) with the Northwestern Pacific shortly before Suisun-Fairfield. At Davis there is a wye junction with what used to be the main SP passenger route to Portland up the west valley. You enter Sacramento over the "I" St. bridge (rail on the lower level, highway on the upper). Immediately to the right as you come off the bridge is the California Railroad Museum (a must if you have time), with a rail connection which is normally severed but can be installed for equipment moves -- that's how they got 4449 into and out of the museum for the sesquicentennial in 1999. I gather from recent posts that the Sacramento station is pretty well torn up because of a major track relocation which straightens out the tracks by putting them farther from the station.

The seating is pretty well open -- people just get on and sit down. I've found the return trains well filled out of Sacramento on a weekday afternoon. Try if you can to get a train that arrives in Richmond before sunset -- it would be a shame to do the waterside running in the dark. If it's going to be after dark, you might as well be ticketed to San Francisco; this will give you the bus ride from Emeryville (and since westbound traffic on the Bay Bridge uses the upper deck, you get a nice view of the City if you can grab one of the front seats on the right).

There is a cafe car, and the food is OK. Double deckers (so-called California Cars) are usual. Don't know about wi-fi.

You'll enjoy it.
  by lirr42

Wi-Fi is available on Capitol Corridor trains, as per Amtrak's website. Don't know about Thruway busses, though.
  by Jersey_Mike

Seeing as this is all in the Bay Area I'm sure if Amtrak isn't providing the Wi Fi Google would be somehow.

Also you can visit this link for a comprehensive preview of the corridor.

http://acm.jhu.edu/~sthurmovik/Railpics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nails.html
  by Tadman

Trivia question: is this the only flying junction in the U. S. west of Chicago 68th St. (?) on the formerly IC Metra Electric?
No, there's a flying junction between the Orange and Green line trains on the CTA about a mile west of the Metra Electric, at 18th and State. Longitudinally, we're talking about a mile west of the 63rd street junction.

Also, not sure if this counts, but at a place where the UP main and UP's ex-CNW mains meet, there's a flyover to effect the change to left-hand running as CNW preferred. It's not really a junction as there's no diverging route.
  by Woodcrest295

Thanks for the useful info... except for that last comment .