• Amtrak California Pacific Surfliner X-Games Wrap

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

But will the train run?: https://www.adweek.com/creativity/x-gam ... ife-promo/
Vert Alert: X Games and Amtrak Partner for Larger-Than-Life Promo

Two tourism boards pitch in on a program centered on giant train wraps and sustainable travel

First-time partners X Games and Amtrak are launching a sustainably-minded collaboration that aims to take cars off the traffic-choked roads of Southern California and deliver fans by rail to the upcoming three-day sports event.

As part of the deal, Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner trains that run between the Central Coast and San Diego will be wrapped with action-packed images of the athletes taking part in the summer competition. Among the stars slated to attend are Sky Brown, Nyjah Huston, Garrett Reynolds and Rayssa Leal.

This marks the first time Amtrak has had a brand-backed promotion on its trains. And the X Games project is intended to open the door for future partners looking for a unique, larger-than-life piece of outdoor media that measures 85 feet long and 16 feet high.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I think this shrink wrapping of passenger train equipment will expand.

Know so first hand; it's quite common overseas.

While I doubt if it will include much Superliner equipment (beyond cars assigned to the Winter Park Ski Special where it already exists), I certainly foresee more of such within the Corridors such as Sgt. Smith has immediately noted.
  by eolesen

I know that at least one commuter agency has been using wraps as a revenue source on trains. Not much different from buses carrying ads.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by STrRedWolf

MTA Maryland's been known to wrap their Light Rail vehicles for extra cash, but I think they put in some design limits after the mess that was the "Bodyworld" exhibit at the Maryland Science Center. The wrap design was so dark, rumor has it that it could only be run in daylight or on the Penn/Camden shuttle so that it could be clearly seen.
  by Literalman

I would not like trying to look at the ocean or any other scenery through advertising mesh. It strains my eyes to see through it, and at night (on a local bus, for instance, when I need to see where we are), it's harder, and at night in the rain it's impossible for me to see through it: the water seems to bead on the mesh.
  by RandallW

While I typically enjoy a window without wraps, in places like Florida during the summer, I prefer sitting at windows with the wrap--it is palpably cooler than having full sunlight on you.
  by Gilbert B Norman

First Mr. Randall W, I don't know what happens to Florida after Easter or earlier than Thanksgiving; is it even there? :P :P

Whoops one exception to that; August '98 for a family emergency (resolved within five hours; my Sister "hit the panic button" too fast). Getting off the plane @ FLL, the only time I had felt such a blast of hot humid air was getting off the plane in Saigon (VVTS) July '67.

The only operator I've seen with shrink wrapped equipment "when I go down during January and February" is Brightline when on one set "The Palm Beaches" were being extoled. I do think the Tri-Rail cars are shrink wrapped, but such is to display their livery with the windows unobstructed. So if you enjoy the South Florida "vistas" of junkyards, service business depots, retail shopping centers, a high rise or two in the background, you can still have your views.

Mr. Moderator, sorry for talking about South Florida; kill at your discretion.
  by Jeff Smith

"Mr. Owner" approves.

I've never ridden in shrink-wrapped equipment, but I'd imagine it would annoy fellow foamers. Imagine say the Zephyr or the Builder with shrink-wrapped coaches and sleepers. I'd imagine scenery-foamers would be very annoyed.