• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jstolberg

If you don't trust the engineers to decide what to do when a sensor fails, they should be called drivers and not engineers.
  by DutchRailnut

Why ?? we get a steering wheel ?
  by MattW

jstolberg wrote:
OT: Maybe operators, like transit vehicle operators. Even when something like Atlanta's MARTA is being operated manually, all the person really does it make it go or make it stop, when they're in automated mode, they literally just press the "go" button.
  by David Benton

I think the phase change "problem" may be something to do with the extra regenerative braking function. The Inverter has to sync with the phase of the new feed, which is quite complex. I was riding Auckland's new EMU'S (CAF), and noticed the time after leaving the neutral section of a phase break till the traction resumed was longer than I expected. Probably similar technology, and nothing to do with the actual Hz, but with the resetting to the new feed. I have also noticed similar time lapses with battery inverter/charger systems synching with a generator supply.
Really makes me appreceiate the skill electrical engineers had in synching the national grid before they had all the modern instrumentation and computers of today .
  by Amtrak67 of America

In American railroading, the person running the train is a locomotive engineer so allow me to make this simple, I am a real locomotive engineer and I'm also moderator, so we will call them engineers for now on.The engineer craft won't be degraded by anyone regardless of thoughts or fantasies. This isn't open for debate on this forum. Any questions feel free to pm me. Unless your discussion has anything to do with the ACS-64 then let's keep it off the discussion.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Campus Inn; Ann Arbor--

Mr. 67 née Silverliner, how did Amtrak, and for that matter the BLET, come to title your craft as Passenger Engineer?

Off topic, but enquiring mind wants to know.
  by ACeInTheHole

The 625 and 626 are both in service as of this weekend. 625 is handling todays 159 after having done 152 down, and 626 is in charge of 162/169 after having done 152/159 yesterday. Dont know if I am asking too in depth a question here but is there a scoring criteria of some kind for the Sprinters on their tests? Seems somebody has very high confidence in the 626 given that its handling a same day Boston turn with a late night lower corridor section on its second revenue round trip. Im wondering if thats dumb luck of the draw or somethjng to do with its tests.
  by Amtrak67 of America

Gilbert B Norman wrote:From Campus Inn; Ann Arbor--

Mr. 67 née Silverliner, how did Amtrak, and for that matter the BLET, come to title your craft as Passenger Engineer?

Off topic, but enquiring mind wants to know.
GBN I don't have an answer for your question but the fact is we are engineers and not drivers as is called elsewhere in the world but regardless it doesn't matter how the term came to be as it has no place in this discussion. Feel free to post that question elsewhere on railroad.net. As I have already mentioned, this is not open for discussion. As a real engineer, I won't allow my craft to be degraded by know it alls. This discussion is about the ACS-64 so contribute to this thread about the locomotive or don't post at all.
  by OportRailfan

ACeInTheHole wrote:...laying down in the CP ELMORA area on todays westbound Pennsyvlanian.. ...
Elmora is not a CP. It's simply "Elmora"; a remote controlled interlocking. (and ex-interlocking station)
  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:The 625 and 626 are both in service as of this weekend. 625 is handling todays 159 after having done 152 down, and 626 is in charge of 162/169 after having done 152/159 yesterday. Dont know if I am asking too in depth a question here but is there a scoring criteria of some kind for the Sprinters on their tests? Seems somebody has very high confidence in the 626 given that its handling a same day Boston turn with a late night lower corridor section on its second revenue round trip. Im wondering if thats dumb luck of the draw or somethjng to do with its tests.

To answer your question, yes. They analyze the data collected on the shakedown runs and there certain things that have to happen. A "checklist" if you will.

625 and 626 have the latest software, so there were high hopes for this group. From what I've seen, there was just one little complaint about the 626, but nothing that would prohibit it from entering service.
  by ACeInTheHole

Ah, I understand, thank you ThirdRail. Yeah, I noticed the timing for its runs, and I figured there was no way such a green Sprinter could end up with a run like that by dumb luck. Im not going to ask you anything more in depth than that, but yeah, I figured I should get some clarification on my hunch. It seems the confidence in the 626 was well placed, 162 was 3 minutes early into Boston and 169 6 early into Washington, never falling more than 10 minutes behind for the round trip. I understand that the schedules are padded a bit, but still, great job by the new kid.

Now, as I see it out here, and im sure you see wherever you are, we have a blizzard upon us, this is the first one for the 603-626 crew, whats your rundown on which will be the good performers and which will be the bad eggs? Is the overall confidence in their abilities at this point low or high?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu May 14, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: nesting quote
  by jcpatten

Recently took the train the Florida and back, starting in Boston. The Regional from BOS to NYP was pulled by 617. The train moved right along, with only two "power losses" in the passenger cars: one just north/east of New Haven Station, the other somewhere around Harold Interlocking. Both took about a minute to come back.

The southbound Meteor was pulled by 602. Again, we moved right along and arrived early at most of the NEC stops - until we encountered some slowness between BAL and WAS, causing us to arrive later than scheduled.

The northbound Meteor was pulled by 613. No problems I could tell, but between WAS and BAL there was more slowness. Must have been track work in both cases.

My trip back to BOS was on the Acela, not germaine to this discussion.
  by ApproachMedium

Currently there is trackwork between Bowie state station and I think BWI, so there is only two tracks and you were probably getting stuck behind Marc locals.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu May 14, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: nesting quote
  by ApproachMedium

Sounds like the parking brake was working really well...