• AMT joining the Bilevel Club

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Raakone

On the 9th of February a test train was run, rumor has it on the 20th, a test revenue run will happen. So what's going on?

The AMT (Agence Metropolitaine de Transport...Montreal's commuter train company) will be introducing "GO" style Bombardier Bilevels on the Dorion-Rigaud line, to replace the aging ex-CP "800" cars (how old are they? Early 50's, when they started service they were regularly STEAM-HAULED). So we'll be joining Dallas, Seatle, Toronto, LA, San Francisco, Altamont, San Diego, and Southern Florida.

Except ours probably won't have restrooms (shortly after the STCUM took over commuter service from CP and CN, the same time they repainted the equipment they removed the plumbing. More room, and back in the CP days, fare dodgers would sometimes ride the entire way in the bathroom.)

About 22 of these cars are on order, I think.

~Ra'akone

by downbeat

Here are a few pictures I shot on the first day of service:
http://mediajct.homeip.net/railpix/050220-bilevel/

by MetraRy

yuck, more lifeless railcars in north america. i really dislike them

by Raakone

May I ask what a railcar with life looks like?

~Ra'akone

by D.Carleton

Does anyone here know the disposition of the former CP 800-series cars?

by Carmine

The 800-series Commuter Coaches were moved off AMT territory, probably to storages facilities where they await destruction, and a few have been sold to a Adirodnack scenic railroad.

by D.Carleton

Now AMT is joining the 'multilevel' club with an order for 160 stainless steel cars from Bombardier of a similar design to those being delivered to NJ Transit. As best as I can tell AMT currently rosters 193 locomotive hauled coaches. 22 are the new bi-level cars and 24 are Comet cars from 1989. Is it safe to assume the new rolling stock will replace the 1960's era Hawker Siddeley and Canadian Vickers products?