• Amherst Show - West Springfield, MA - Jan 30-31

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by dcm74

Just as a reminder the Amherst Railway Society's annual Railroad Hobby Show will take place on January 30 & 31, 2010, at the Eastern States Exposition grounds in West Springfield, MA.
This year the show has expanded into more of the Mallary Building so there will be nearly 7 acres of all forms of railroading. For the latest information check http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com There is a current listing of vendors and their locations as well as floor plans for all 4 buildings.
Who else is planning on being there?
  by atsf sp

I guess i'll start the list. I will be there. Depending on my plans for the weekend, I don't know what day I will go. But I went last year and made a railfan day out of it. I went to the show, visited the West Springfield Yard, Palmer, and the P&W Worcester yard. I drove Route 20 between Springfield and Worcester, along the tracks from Springfield to Palmer. I also saw the G&U. I plan on aother good day this year.
  by dcm74

atsf sp wrote:I guess i'll start the list. I will be there. Depending on my plans for the weekend, I don't know what day I will go. But I went last year and made a railfan day out of it. I went to the show, visited the West Springfield Yard, Palmer, and the P&W Worcester yard. I drove Route 20 between Springfield and Worcester, along the tracks from Springfield to Palmer. I also saw the G&U. I plan on aother good day this year.
If you'd like to add a little more highway close to the tracks follow Route 67 from Palmer through Warren to West Brookfield then follow Route 9 East to Worcester. The tracks aren't always next to the highway but a good map will show you the roads that intersect the tracks.
  by mxdata

Otto, a while back I mentioned an event in a posting and was contacted by a moderator who insisted it should instead be posted on your events calendar. When I tried to do so, it required providing a contact telephone number. I don't think many people care to volunteer their family for long term jobs as a telephone information service just to post an notice about an upcoming event that might be of interest to some of the viewers. :(

MX
  by Cadet57

I'll be there Saturday. Cant wait. One of my favorite parts of winter. :P
  by Otto Vondrak

mxdata wrote:Otto, a while back I mentioned an event in a posting and was contacted by a moderator who insisted it should instead be posted on your events calendar. When I tried to do so, it required providing a contact telephone number. I don't think many people care to volunteer their family for long term jobs as a telephone information service just to post an notice about an upcoming event that might be of interest to some of the viewers. :(

MX
Note: If you start your post with, "Otto..." you should probably send it to me in a PM or email.

The form asks you to post *a* contact phone number, not your personal phone number. Also, you'll notice that phone contact is NOT a required field. Sorry if you misunderstood the requirements.

Posting your event to the Events Calendar means wider exposure for your activity... it's a free service, so you should take advantage of it.

See you at Springfield.

-otto-
  by jetfan

I'll be there for the first time, don't know what to expect. Stop by and say hello - table 136 in the Mallary building.
  by diburning

I want to go but I probably won't be able to as I won't have a ride this year. (I went with my friend last year and this year he's not going).

For the people who want HO scale Atlas Gensets.... Jan 30th is the official ship date. Maybe some vendors will have them already by then.
  by Otto Vondrak

I'll be handing out RAILROAD.NET buttons, while they last. Say hello if you see me, tell me your RAILROAD.NET screenname, and get a button! :-)

-otto-
  by mlrr

I'll be working the Acela/Amtrak Northeast Corridor layout for the 4th straight year with David Harrison. We'll be in the main building table 46. Feel free to stop by and say hello!

Looking forward to seeing all of you there at some point! Hopefully I can make it away from the display and make my rounds. I'll be wearing my Amtrak shirt (like I do every year) with a phase III AMD-103 on the front.
  by p&w3901

[quote][/quote]One of my favorite parts of the show:

http://www.amherstrail.org/DHMRRC/index.html

Otto- Thanks for the compliment! We've expanded this year (again!) to add considerably more switching options. We've added industries at both ends, a new street running scene between the yard and the Amtrak station, and a switching wye at the west end which then feeds into modules running down the middle of the layout. In addition, by adding a new module at each end, we have also added another 12' to the mainline, and brought the overall size of the layout to 72' x 24'. In addition, we've assembled a couple of unit trains (50+ autoracks, 120+ coal hoppers), and who knows how long the long train on Sunday will get this year (last year we capped out at 235 cars............)
See you all there!!

Jason