• ALTO Tower

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by jhdeasy

Juniata Terminal Company is planning to operate a passenger excursion from Pittsburgh down the Monangahela Line and Waynesburg Branch to the PA/WV state line and return on Sunday July 28, 2013, to raise funds in support of preservation of ALTO Tower. This is planned as an all first class train of private cars; no coaches. Amtrak locomotive(s), not PRR 5711 & 5809, on the head end.

All private car owners and passengers on this special train are required to make a contribution of $500 (five hundred dollars) per person to a non-profit organization known as "Broad Way Historic Preservation Conservancy" that will be supporting the ALTO tower preservation efforts. That rather hefty tax-deductible contribution is over and above a fare (payable to individual private car owners selling space) in the $800 range for the day's trip.

I am sure High Iron Travel http://www.highirontravel.com will be selling space on business car CARITAS and other cars, just as I suspect Juniata Terminal Company will be selling space onboard their parlor-lounge car WARRIOR RIDGE. Dominion Rail Voyages http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com is selling space on their bedroom lounge MOUNT VERNON. I have not heard if Washington DC Chapter NRHS http://www.dcnrhs.org plans to participate with their heavyweight bedroom lounge DOVER HARBOR. Some private cars are expected to come in from Chicago on the Capitol Limited for the excursion.
  by jgallaway81

I wish them the best of luck, but those prices are WAY beyond my ability to hope to participate.
  by jhdeasy

jhdeasy wrote: All private car owners and passengers on this special train are required to make a contribution of $500 (five hundred dollars) per person to a non-profit organization known as "Broad Way Historic Preservation Conservancy" that will be supporting the ALTO tower preservation efforts. That rather hefty tax-deductible contribution is over and above a fare (payable to individual private car owners selling space) in the $800 range for the day's trip.
CORRECTION: I have been told that this new organization "Broad Way Historic Preservation Conservancy" was formed in November 2012 in the State of Pennsylvania. They have applied to the IRS for tax exempt status, but have not yet received a Letter of Determination from the IRS granting that status to them. Those $500 individual contributions would be tax deductible if (and only if) IRS grants that status to them.

My personal opinion is that $1300 ($800 fare plus mandatory $500 contribution) is too high a price for a one day excursion of about 200 miles, even if it is very rare mileage, with travel on luxurious private cars, with good food and adult beverages on the menu, and with some of that money going to historic preservation efforts for ALTO tower. It will be interesting to see what impact that high fare and required contribution have on passenger demand for this excursion.
  by OCtrainguy

For now, the tower still stands. Haven't heard anything about a planned move yet.
  by Dick H

It's coming up on eleven months since the last post here about Alto.
Anyone have any updates? Thanks...
  by Missyg24

RUMOR is Wick Mooreman is goin to open it for a look thru to the public. BUT the issue is parking and a way to the tower. Walkway bridge to Alto from BOYER Candy parking lot look thru & walk back over...
I Doubt It Will Happen..

Alto is not going to be safe to move, it may end up like MO if moved....