• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by waldwickrailfan

4531 is on 1217/1278 lately
  by Amtrak7

These engines are more powerful than I thought; if they can pull 10 MLV's with HEP in revenue service in diesel mode!
  by Fan Railer

Amtrak7 wrote:These engines are more powerful than I thought; if they can pull 10 MLV's with HEP in revenue service in diesel mode!
Most locomotives can pull pretty long consists. Passenger locos are really only limited by HEP capacity. The only thing that is really affected is the running time.
  by ACeInTheHole

Good ro see 4522 back in business. Any updates on any of the other damaged ones?
  by Fan Railer

We have an ALP-45 thread already; I suggest a merge. Otherwise, yes, it is testing for planned future commuter service on the RVL, which is slated to start next spring.
  by srock1028

Fan Railer wrote:We have an ALP-45 thread already; I suggest a merge. Otherwise, yes, it is testing for planned future commuter service on the RVL, which is slated to start next spring.
Negative--It was just a test train for repaired or fresh out the shop engines.
  by Fan Railer

srock1028 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:We have an ALP-45 thread already; I suggest a merge. Otherwise, yes, it is testing for planned future commuter service on the RVL, which is slated to start next spring.
Negative--It was just a test train for repaired or fresh out the shop engines.
I stand corrected.
  by Brick City

I was starting to derail the 'Remaining F40s" thread with talk about the ALP45s so figured I should continue here. I asked why they were being used on completely non-electrified lines (Main, Bergen and Pascack Valley lines) and was reminded that they were originally intended for the ARC Tunnel and still had to be used somewhere.

My follow up question is: wouldn't it make more sense to put the ALP45s on the Raritan Valley line where its dual use mode can actually be utilized and transfer the PL42ACs commonly used on the Raritan Valley line over to the non-electrified lines mentioned above? The same would apply to the diesel locos I see at Newark Penn on the North Jersey Coast Line headed towards the non-electrified stations beyond Long Branch.
  by ACeInTheHole

Brick City wrote:I was starting to derail the 'Remaining F40s" thread with talk about the ALP45s so figured I should continue here. I asked why they were being used on completely non-electrified lines (Main, Bergen and Pascack Valley lines) and was reminded that they were originally intended for the ARC Tunnel and still had to be used somewhere.

My follow up question is: wouldn't it make more sense to put the ALP45s on the Raritan Valley line where its dual use mode can actually be utilized and transfer the PL42ACs commonly used on the Raritan Valley line over to the non-electrified lines mentioned above? The same would apply to the diesel locos I see at Newark Penn on the North Jersey Coast Line headed towards the non-electrified stations beyond Long Branch.
The only wires on the RVL are on the small strip on the NEC just before you switch onto the Lehigh Valley line. So no, it wouldnt work there. In theory the smartest thing to do with the 45s is send them up the M@E and Montclair Boonton. And free up the straight diesels that come here for the Main and BCL/PVL etc. there is alot of wire on the M@E and Montclair lines, and no Amtrak to deal with. It would make alot of sense and save alot of fuel.
  by ChrisU

beanbag wrote:
Brick City wrote:I was starting to derail the 'Remaining F40s" thread with talk about the ALP45s so figured I should continue here. I asked why they were being used on completely non-electrified lines (Main, Bergen and Pascack Valley lines) and was reminded that they were originally intended for the ARC Tunnel and still had to be used somewhere.

The only wires on the RVL are on the small strip on the NEC just before you switch onto the Lehigh Valley line. So no, it wouldnt work there. In theory the smartest thing to do with the 45s is send them up the M@E and Montclair Boonton. And free up the straight diesels that come here for the Main and BCL/PVL etc. there is alot of wire on the M@E and Montclair lines, and no Amtrak to deal with. It would make alot of sense and save alot of fuel.
Actually there is plans to start running off peak trains to New York on the RVL in the Spring. They would switch modes in Newark....
  by ACeInTheHole

NJTArrow2 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Actually there is plans to start running off peak trains to New York on the RVL in the Spring. They would switch modes in Newark....
whoops, i was thinkin Hoboken/Newark for the RVL bit. Right i forgot about that.
  by andegold

If the 45s were used on more RVL trains couldn't they switch to electric while hanging around in Newark and Hudson Yard? What are the comparative noise levels between modes while idling in Newark? Would/could the fuel savings while idling under wire offset the greater fuel usage while running the line?
  by amtrakhogger

Is there any reason (other than lack of interest)) why NJT has not started running the ALP 45's into NYP on a regular basis?
  by Fan Railer

amtrakhogger wrote:Is there any reason (other than lack of interest)) why NJT has not started running the ALP 45's into NYP on a regular basis?
On what trains would NJT put them? Currently, there aren't any extra slots at NYP to accommodate more service, and I don't see a reason to stick a 45DP on a train where a plain 46 or 46A works fine.