• ALCO's Biting the Dust?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by pablo

First, let's see when these "new" Guilford units show up. The source of the report isn't always so reliable.

That leads me to the second point I have: the amoreho1 monkey up above is one of those guys that spreads nonsense across forums...like NS buying the D&H.

Repeat after me, amoreho1, murray, etc.: the units have potential, and the NYSW has now shown they are interested in care and upkeep, which means rebuilding what they have to work better. Read some posts, please.

Dave Becker

by RichM

Thank you, Dave. I think we need more rules that Mom must not have taught, like, read all the posts before you respond to the last one, try the search function before you ask the same question that's already been answered 11 times...

by GOLDEN-ARM

Amoreho1, you sound like a very uninformed person. (putting it as nicely as possible) Where do you get the idea that Alcos can't work, and that EMD's are the "magical solution" to all of the railroads woes. Sounds like a bunch of horses$#%, from another clueless foamer, if you ask me.......
Somewhere, in the vicinity of the railroads shops, is a person fluent in both languages, that could help rewrite the language portion of the program, or translate the screen's messages, for someone who could/would rewrite it, to make it english. The new locos, that are run in Mexico, are bi-lingual, if you know how to read enough spanish, to convert the screens to english. (I do, and always put a SOTB unit in the lead, when I can)
You reminded me, of some "dummies", who earlier in the year, called the Alcos "things". I feel sorry for you kids of today, that believe railroading began, and will always be from the SD-70/Dash-9 era. How sad, for you....... :(

by cjvrr

Guys,

From his profile it looks like Amoreho1, or Aaron is a young person. So why not cut him a little break. He may be new to the hobby. Bashing him does nothing more than turn him and others off.

Plenty of crew members in train service on the NYS&W have labelled the Alcos "Things" and even gave them names, like "Blinky", etc. These comments from the crews have been posted on other websites quite frequently. To me its not unlike the Ford, GM, Mopar crowds bashing each other.

Alcos have been around for years, will continue to be around albeit in dwindling numbers in the future, but no one can dispute that there ain't gonna be any new ones.

EMD and GE will continue to be around for years and will continue to attract railfans for the "newness". Being born in 1971 I like steam engines but not nearly as much as first and second generation diesels, this third generation / wide cab stuff is too boring to me. So is it so hard to see that someone younger would like the newer stuff compared to 30+ year old Alcos?

From the sounds of it the NYS&W has made the decision to try and resurrect the Alcos. Selling them at this point is not an option since they don't run anyway. They would only get scrap or parts prices for them. So buying something else could potentially cost the NYS&W double the money they paid for the Alcos. ($$ invested in Alco purchase + $$ to buy replacement units)

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

by Steve F45

ok back on topic then.

I've never seen pics or had any opportunities to see inside nysw alco's. But they have computer screens in them, similar to newer loco's? Or did i misread something?

by UPRR engineer

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective:

"G-A, you really love Alco's dont you?"...... "If its cold enough outside i do" :-D

by RichM

Yes, I can't say I've seen many of them, but sitting in Wyckoff late one night when I shouldn't have been where I was to start with... "what's that light in the cabs of the trailing units?"... looked like a flat screen monitor.
Last edited by RichM on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by GOLDEN-ARM

UPRR Engineer, aka "Ace Ventura", It doesn't have to be cold, to wanna crawl inside of one of them thar' Schenectady contrapshuns......... :P
Sure as hell, beats one of them "Toaster Motors", any day of the week. Hard to imagine, one day, people might actually WANT to see some Dash-9's (TRASH-9's). Stranger things have happened before, though, I guess.........

As far as not "bashing" the kid, well, if he wants to "bash" the loco in the thread, he's gotta take the heat, for talkin' trash, himself. Every kid that drools for a Trash-9, is not going to get a pass, from this hogger, when he bashes the the stuff, that made that GE Junker possible, in the first place. There is a whole lot more, to this world of railroading, than some piles of junk, with wide noses on them. (NOT wide cabs, as some folks like to call them. EVERY cab I have been inside, is a standard width. NOSES however, seem to have gotten wider, in the last few years) If you talk the talk, of the uninformed, mindlesss or clueless, that's how you will be responded to, no matter what your age. Grow thicker skin, or stay in the TAMR forum........... :P

by Steve F45

RichM wrote:Yes, I can't say I've seen many of them, but sitting in Wyckoff late one night when I shouldn't have been where I was to start with... "what's that light in the cabs of the trailing units?"... looked like a flat screen monitor.
i've never seen anything green in the alco's when watching from midland park. Usually see a panel of red lights flashing like crazy.

by amoreho1

you guys may not like me and my views but one thing you will learn is im not the person togive a sh#t what people think and yes my name is aaron and I'm new to rail fanning

by RS-3

Well Aaron that works out really well as I don't care what you think either. As for new to the hobby, who'd of thunk it? I DO care about the opinions of those that know what they are talking about such as N_DL640A, Golden Arm, Alcoman, Alcodoc, and many others. After all that's what the forum is all about, hearing other's people opinions and ideas (not just your own). Or to put it another way, "learning". And one does that best by listening to other people, people who know what they are talking about.

As for which units have computers, I think N_D640A answer that quite well in an earlier post (or maybe it was on the Alco forum).

RS-3

by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, Aaron. Welcome to railfanning, and railroading. Glad to have you on board! I think you spelled s%@# wrong :-D . Thanks for your opinion, about Alcos!!! You certainly are entitled to it, no matter how wrong, it might be. I imagine many years ago, another "Aaron" was complaining about the last few steam engines running around. It somehow was a "distraction", to his watching the endless parade, of F units, and early Switchers......................
He probably believed they were old, worthless, and not worth the time to watch, or photograph, either........... I believe we all know how that ended.
Regards :wink:

by UPRR engineer

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:UPRR Engineer, aka "Ace Ventura", It doesn't have to be cold, to wanna crawl inside of one of them thar' Schenectady contrapshuns......... :P
Remember our last Alco discussion? LMAO.... You really do "love" them dont you? :-D ....Gross

Dont get mad but, gotta say this one also. Ever been caught in the moment with a motor? ........Sorry buddy, hope ur laughing.
  by amtrakhogger

Yeah, NYSW is retiring it fleet of C-636's and replacing them with
Ingersoll-Rand Box-Cab Diesel Electrics found in an old warehouse
in P'Burg! All are rated at 600hp with no MU capability! Yuk Yuk!

by Otto Vondrak

Okay guys... let's all settle down here in the crew room! You're gonna make young Aaron blush here, you know.

Aaron- welcome to our site, thank you for posting, and we hope you are here to learn. Try to be careful when you post- if you're not sure of something, it's okay to say so. If you're not sure if something you're about to ask has been discussed, then search for it. If you respect others, you will get respect in return... and you may learn something.

NOW... back to our Alco discussion? I'm curious to know what NYSW intends to do with their Alcos! They sure made quite a show last year, never saw them leading, though (but it looks like others did)!

-otto-