• Airport Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by CLamb

nomis wrote:I'm suprised nobody mentioned extending the NJT trains to the airport. At least they will do something other than foul a track for a long time while laying over at 30th St. :-)
It's something to think about. How about direct service between Newark airport and Philadelphia airport? The airfare is upwards of $100 each way. If only Newark airport had rail stations actually at the terminals.
  by 34thStreet

CLamb wrote:
nomis wrote:I'm suprised nobody mentioned extending the NJT trains to the airport. At least they will do something other than foul a track for a long time while laying over at 30th St. :-)
It's something to think about. How about direct service between Newark airport and Philadelphia airport? The airfare is upwards of $100 each way. If only Newark airport had rail stations actually at the terminals.
Well, they sort of do, only you have to transfer to the Air Train, which is supposed to be rebuilt in the near future any will likely be out of service as a result.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/0 ... build.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, the access from the mainline trains to EWR (NJT and Amtrak) via Air Train isn't too bad, and is something PHL lacks, although we have regional rail at each Terminal, so if you take the airport line from Center city to the Airport you never have to change trains to a people mover like you do at EWR.

A rail transfer from PHL to EWR right now is a pain if you don't like transfers- RR from PHL to 30th, then you can do either Amtrak to EWR or Trenton RR then NJT to EWR (which takes forever), then the Air Train to the terminal. Try doing all that with luggage.
  by Limited-Clear

Ok, I'm going to ask a question that many are wondering, why would you have service from one airport to another? If I am at an airport I either got there from civilization by car or train intending to take a flight to a far off land, If I have flown in I either have a transfer to another flight or I want to go to the local civilized area (ie center city and suburbia)
  by ekt8750

Limited-Clear wrote:Ok, I'm going to ask a question that many are wondering, why would you have service from one airport to another? If I am at an airport I either got there from civilization by car or train intending to take a flight to a far off land, If I have flown in I either have a transfer to another flight or I want to go to the local civilized area (ie center city and suburbia)
Some airports are cheaper to fly to than others so if you could save a few $$ by flying to one airport then taking a train to your final destination then you're going to do it.
  by MattW

ekt8750 wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:Ok, I'm going to ask a question that many are wondering, why would you have service from one airport to another? If I am at an airport I either got there from civilization by car or train intending to take a flight to a far off land, If I have flown in I either have a transfer to another flight or I want to go to the local civilized area (ie center city and suburbia)
Some airports are cheaper to fly to than others so if you could save a few $$ by flying to one airport then taking a train to your final destination then you're going to do it.
Well, I think his point was in that case, let's say it's cheaper to fly into PHL than EWR. If you were going to take a train, you're not going to take it to Newark airport then to your final destination, you'll take it to your final destination.
  by TrainPhotos

What about Trenton-Mercer (KTTN)? It is absurdly close to west trenton station, isn't it? Couldn't they make another station by scotch road & use an airport people mover, or something? Plus, I have noticed very many airport line trains seem to end up on the west trenton line & even have the airport signs still up when they pull in at west trenton. Very useful for friends and family who fly into/out of KPHL, but I am thinking of those wishing to use KTTN's wide selection of destinations served by frontier airlines...
  by ferroequinologist

It's about a mile and a half, but TTN is a very small airport. Yes, Frontier serves a several destinations there (though it's not a "wide selection"--it's a few major cities in the east in midwest, and Florida), but they're all once-a-day flights, or even less frequent. Given that traffic there is a couple orders of magnitude less than PHL, you could expect, at most, a few passengers from east West Trenton train to make the transfer, especially since it'd be an hour ride from CC, rather than half an hour like it is to PHL. A people mover is definitely overkill for such a tiny airport. What might make sense is some sort of van airport shuttle, like hotels have.
  by MACTRAXX

TP, FE and Everyone:

I think that this mentioned TTN-PHL Airport connection is a interesting option using the WT Line from the
West Trenton station and a connecting bus or jitney should be sufficient for passengers that are connecting
between flights - a costly TTN people mover would not see enough use to justify its construction...

This connection using through Airport-WT trains should be promoted by SEPTA and both airports along with a
new dedicated bus/jitney (depending on ridership) to Trenton-Mercer Airport from the West Trenton Station...
In short this sounds good - and could work well...

MACTRAXX