• AEM7 Disposition (and other motors - HHP8)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

strench707 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:probably not
Based on.....? (nothing)

Davis
Amtrak has been pretty stingy on donations and they should.
Every unit donated is $10 000 or more that Amtrak is not getting in scrap value.
and other than railway museum of Pennsylvania, there are very few Museums that have interest in NEC or Amtrak.
  by Tom6921

Wouldn't the donation be tax deductible?

How about the society in New Jersey that has GG1s 4877 and 4879?
  by DutchRailnut

ehhh on company that does not pay most taxes ??
  by Greg Moore

Tom6921 wrote:Wouldn't the donation be tax deductible?

Even if it were, I suspect Amtrak has to ensure that the donation is made environmentally safe (this should be easier than the GG1s since I don't think there's any asbestos or PCBs in the AEM7).
When they sell them for scrap, I suspect either they have an agreement with the scrapper and the scrapper assumes all liability or Amtrak is, and figures that into their $10K (if that's the actual number, or whatever it is if it's not).

With a donation, Amtrak is out the money and probably stuck with "safing" the units as most museums are tight on cash to begin with.
  by Backshophoss

Due to the PCB's,all the donated GG-1's had their Main Transformers removed,and unable to run on their own,
it's possible(but unknown) that Amtrak rendered the E-60 and the AEM-7 donated to RRMPA unable to to run.
By that some internal connection has been disabled/removed/grounded
  by David Benton

Greg Moore wrote:
Tom6921 wrote:Wouldn't the donation be tax deductible?

Even if it were, I suspect Amtrak has to ensure that the donation is made environmentally safe (this should be easier than the GG1s since I don't think there's any asbestos or PCBs in the AEM7).
When they sell them for scrap, I suspect either they have an agreement with the scrapper and the scrapper assumes all liability or Amtrak is, and figures that into their $10K (if that's the actual number, or whatever it is if it's not).

With a donation, Amtrak is out the money and probably stuck with "safing" the units as most museums are tight on cash to begin with.
I know that with industrial Nicad batteries, large companies insist the Scrap merchant has a paper trail to trace where the scrap batteries go. Not a good look if your hazardous scrap turns up dumped somewhere.
  by ApproachMedium

The E60 was given to RRMPA straight out of a major overhaul. It was operational as far as I know when it left the shop for the museum. The AEM-7 I am not sure about, but i do not see a reason why they would have disabled it as it really wouldnt make a difference the thing is never going to touch the wire again either way.
  by Greg Moore

ACeInTheHole wrote:Where do we stand on retired remans?
I would expect on the floor in the cab? Don't stand on the roof!
  by ACeInTheHole

Number of retired remans.

Bad news on the 908, it may have blown two traction motors while handling 95 this morning according to a source on the train. Approach, can you confirm?
  by ApproachMedium

It appears to still be en route and it looks like nothing too crazy. I am sure it will be fine.
  by 8th Notch

I highly doubt Amtrak has enough ACS units in rotation to start pulling the plug on Remans for traction motor failures.
  by ApproachMedium

Yea sometimes the blower motors trip and that takes down a traction motor. If one of these TMs actually go, trust me you will know. lol
  by Matt Johnson

Was the AEM-7 cab car conversion idea dismisses due to technical viability or was it some other reason?