• Advice on the CSX testing and working for the railroad

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by All-in

Hey there everyone! I'm a newbie here and am seriously considering a job with the railroad. I've already had the interview and I'm waiting for the call for the next testing session. I just missed the one that started earlier this week in Cincinnati.

Are the tests open book, timed or multiple choice on the mid term and final exam?

I'm looking forward to reading the replies and any advice you may give me. This is a big step for me. I've been at my current job 10 years now and I'm a bit nervous about taking that step.

by DJ

Well I guess it's my turn to help somebody out.

Friday is my last day at AMDG, and I fly out to Atlanta on Sunday. Our letters telling us to report to REDI came in today, but they won't be handed out untill we pass the Operating Rules test. We took our GIT today.

Most of the tests are mutiple choice, with some word matching and completing work order forms. With the word matching, you get a question and write the answer out on the answer sheet.

I wouldn't say that the school is hard, but there is alot of information to absorb in a short time. My class only has four other guys in it, so I think that may have helped.

Get your signals out of the way as soon as possible. You have to know these word for word. Towards the end, things do get a little harder, and you don't want this hanging over your head.

You only get your hands-on equipment three times, but that is not the purpose of this school. Just make sure you can hang on to the side of the car for 5 minutes, and give hand signals while doing it.

As far as being on the job, I wondering about that myself. I can't wait to get to ATL and get on some moving equipment.
  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

The guys at the redi center are great guys. Especially Tre Gamble and Rod Wilson. CSX will put you up at the Holiday Inn right next to the Atlanta Braves stadium----hopefully you can catch a game while you are there. The rooms are excellent---nice and clean----and the hotel feeds you every Wenesday for free.
The very first time you get off the bus they will be waiting and watching you----------when climbing stairs make sure you use hand rails------no hands in the pockets while walking-------no walking around talking on the cell phone.

Also a word to the wise-----do not do anything stupid with alchol-----we had a guy who went thru 5 weeks at AMDG then 2 weeks at the REDI center and the VERY LAST NIGHT HE CAME IN DRUNK-------he was gone in a matter of minutes for good. Talk about a waste of 7 weeks!!!!!

To really impress the instructors you need to know the 5 core values of CSX---if you don't know them you will before you leave-----also the mission statement and purpose of CSX------all can be found on the CSX website.

Also they like people who volunteer-----and if you don't they will start picking you anyway---so you might as well go ahead and do it!!!!!!!

Nashvillie Newbie

by All-in

Thanks!! Also, are any of the tests timed or do you have as long as you need to complete them? What is the lowest test scores someone can get and still be hired?

by Newcastletrain

The tests are not timed and you need to maintain an average of 80% overall. So you can bomb a test or two and make it up with others. I do have to disagree about the REDI center. For me, it was a colossal waste of time when you could be learning your own territory and gleaning information from the old heads. Also Tre was annoying. But I do agree about watching your alcohol intake-they will sh#@can your ass real fast for that. We had two get fired, one for insubordination and the other for narcotics. Idiots. Have fun, be safe and remember it is only a job no matter what they all say.

by Newcastletrain

Also if you go to Cincinnatti go to Metropolis (it's a dance club). WOW!! Fun place with good views if you know what I mean. It is about 15 minutes from the school. Also, PM me for nice places to stay down there.

by All-in

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

I'm a supervisor at a plastic extruding plant. I really don't want to be in a factory for the next 30 yrs but it's hard to leave a job that your family depends on and try for something else. My current job is "hands on." I don't have one of those supervisor jobs that sits in an office. I'm right in just like all the other hourly employees doing the same nitty gritty. I think I can pass the tests but it's nerve racking! The thought of being out of a job and then not passing and getting hired by the railroad is awful! I have a wife and small son depending on me.

Has anyone here known anyone that didn't get hired strictly because of not passing the tests?

by All-in

Hey newcastletrain, when I find out when the next training is I'll PM you about where to stay. There's a guy I work with who's hoping to go the same time I do also. We're going to stay in the same room and split the costs. His brother got on the railroad a couple years ago from here but transfered to Jacksonville, Fl. (we're in Southern IN)

by Newcastletrain

If you are a supervisor then you have average or above average intelligence and will have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the school. The major thing is that you will have to survive for 5-7 weeks without pay or benefits. If you can do that, then go for it, no question hands down --go for it. Also, you have to be sure to keep your nose clean for those weeks, lest you get fired for something stupid. Do it, you wont regret it. The benefits are very good, no matter what the old heads say. Yeah you have to pay 106 bucks a month but to have a baby it costs 15 bucks for the whole thing from initial visit to discharge of your wife and beautiful baby!

by Newcastletrain

Also did you go to the 'first week to last" thread I put about the schooling? Here it is and there is another for Atlanta if you want it. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10888

by CSX Conductor

Newcastletrain wrote:We had two get fired, one for insubordination
Just curios, what was the insubordination for?

by CSX Conductor

As for studying, you need to know all the rules, but if you forget certain specifics, all that matters is that you know where to reference them (i.e. timetable, signal aspects book, etc.) :wink:

Btw, DJ, let me know when you report to Selkirk. If you end up working Selkirk East let me know, especially if you have any questions. :wink:

by Newcastletrain

The "insubordination" was for not listening to the instructors and arguing about it after the fact. Also, it involved a heated dispute with another classmate and the ability to work "well with others".