• Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ADIX) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of the operations, equipment, and history of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, operators of the former New York Central Adirondack Division since 1992. Any relevant news stories posted from outside sources require a link to the original article plus a brief "fair-use" quote.

Official web site: http://www.adirondackrr.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adironda ... 1568573053

-otto-
New York State Railfan Forum Moderator
  by kaseytrainfan26

does anyone know what the rr plans on bringing up for motive power to saranac and lake placid for the coming season, i hope its not 6076, its getting rather mundaine
  by tree68

kaseytrainfan26 wrote:does anyone know what the rr plans on bringing up for motive power to saranac and lake placid for the coming season, i hope its not 6076, its getting rather mundaine
I believe 6076 has a home at the north end for the season.

The F's won't do for that operation, and 8223 and the RS18u's are pretty much dedicated to Thendara and Utica respectively, assuming everything is running by opening day.
  by kaseytrainfan26

okay thank you for the replies! i was just wondering cause im gonna be one of the new volunteers working on the north end this coming season. and one question.

why wont the f units do up here? im not a fan of emd f units, much bigger fan of alcos.

any answers are appreciated. thanks.
  by jurtz

kaseytrainfan26 wrote:why wont the f units do up here? im not a fan of emd f units, much bigger fan of alcos.

any answers are appreciated. thanks.
F units cannot be operated in reverse very effectively because the engineer has no way to see in the reverse direction. The choice is to 1) have a second F unit pointing in the opposite direction or 2) perform a shove movement back to where you came from. Shove movements require another crew member be on the rear of the train to call clearance, and usually must operate well below track speed. A second engine would be a waste of power, especially in SL/ LP, where the grades are minimal. With a road switcher like the GP-9, the engineer can see reasonably well in both directions, so it can be run around the train at each end of the run and pull the train from the head end in both directions.
  by Cactus Jack

Guns - They earn your paycheck ... nuff said.

Back to topic of ADIX and meaningful discussion please.
  by Leo_Ames

More nonsense from a local government that wasn't even aware that this railroad existed. And classy job in not giving the other side equal opportunity to present their case to the board. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest threat to this region is our local governments.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... l?nav=5046

"The Colton town board wants the railroad tracks on the Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor to be removed so a multi-use recreational trail can be built.

The board recently passed a resolution calling for the tracks to be removed, town Supervisor Denny Bulger told the Enterprise Friday. The resolution passed unanimously."

It doesn't even sound as if the Adirondack Scenic Railroad ever approached them. How come with this tactic clearly being in place by the other side that they're not taking premptive action to get local governments along the line aligned with them or at least aware of their existence and what benefits they offer to the region? And it possibly would've offered them a chance at rebuttal with this latest round since clearly this local equivalent of the Hooterville town council on the 1960's sitcoms Green Acres and Petticoat Junction wasn't going to seek out the other side before passing their resolution of support.

Maybe if the Adirondack Scene Railroad had did what the trail advocates did, we'd at least be getting some public discussion with an opportunity to present the pro-rail side. Instead, this local government that the Adirondack Scenic Railroad partially operates through wasn't even familiar with them.
Last edited by Leo_Ames on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Scott K

Since the snowmobile crowd has had such a good season so far, I haven't heard any complaints about the rails at all, unlike last year's nearly snowless season. Now, just when I thought we were going to get through an entire winter without a fresh attack on the railroad...

If the rails ever do come up, I want to see video of those athlete spokesmen the article mentions out on the trail, in the remotest sections.

Scott K.
  by Leo_Ames

"The Piercefield town board is asking for rail spending to stop until the state decides what will happen with the Adirondack Scenic Railroad corridor.

The board, which asked the state a few months ago to rip up the railroad tracks in the corridor and replace it with a trail, sees it as a bad idea to put money into the corridor if the state is going to open up its unit management plan and possibly change the corridor's use."

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... l?nav=5008
  by tree68

Scott K wrote:Since the snowmobile crowd has had such a good season so far, I haven't heard any complaints about the rails at all, unlike last year's nearly snowless season. Now, just when I thought we were going to get through an entire winter without a fresh attack on the railroad...

If the rails ever do come up, I want to see video of those athlete spokesmen the article mentions out on the trail, in the remotest sections.

Scott K.
Methinks the snowmobile community should be looking really hard at that ad with the biathletes. To me it's an indication that the trail "advocates" expect cross country skiing to be a popular use. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure that the snowmobilers and cross country skiers are going to play all that well together... Maybe because the advocates aren't planning to have the snowmobilers using the trail?
  by traingeek8223

I'd bet my pay check that I know who is behind the lies. Does anyone really think it's the railroad?

I want to know what the Piercefield town board thinks they are doing. There is absolutly NOTHING near the tracks to recieve benifit from people using a trail. Nothing but trees and remote crossings. These towns that are jumping on the trail band wagon need to actually look at how both projects would benifit their town and not just believe what ARTA SAYS the benifit would be.

I'm getting real sick of this. There are plenty of trails. Let's start thinking of a way to bring people in to actually use them (railroad = transportation last time I checked). Nearsightedness is one of my hot buttons. Take some time and look to the future (even the near future).

Idiots.

ARTAs tacktics are starting to make me nauseous and our current state government scares me. We are talking about two groups (ARTA & NYS Polititions) that care more about making people BELIEVE they are right than they are about actually being right (NYS SAFE Act is a good example).