• Adams and Delco

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by twropr

Understand that as part of the NJ High Speed Rail project that new interlockings were placed in service west of County:
Delco (where the Delco leads comes off TK 4) and Adams (about four miles east of Midway). Eventually, when NJ Transit builds the Mid Line Loop, it will run between Delco and Adams; however, this project has not been completely funded and is a few years off.
That being said, what is the purpose of Delco and Adams today? Are there actual crossovers there, and if so, are they high speed?
Andy
  by CSX Conductor

The home signals were installed at Adams and Delco just as a beginning to the project. There are no switches at eeither interlocking.
  by ThirdRail7

As of a few weeks ago, Adams INT is in service with an electrified high speed crossover between 1 and 2 track.
  by NortheastTrainMan

Hello & Good whatever time of day it is when you read this.

So, I recently got the Train Sim World 3 game and I've been playing the New York - Trenton route quite a bit.
As I've been playing the route, I was made aware of two interlockings I didn't know existed, Adams & Delco.

You see, I'm only a passenger, so I didn't really notice them as they're smaller, as in not 4 track crossovers and depending on where I'm sitting in the coach, I might not see them at all.

Heading Eastbound, Adams is directly after Midway, with a crossover from 1 to 2 (80 MPH MAS)
Heading Westbound, Delco is directly after & incredibly close to County, with a crossover from 3 to 4 (80 MPH MAS).

In the game, Adams is used exclusively by NJT 39xx trains that skip New Brunswick. Although I don't take Amtrak incredibly often, in my experience if a train uses Track 1 after Fair & Ham due to traffic and is skipping PJC or at least NBK, the diverging move typically takes place at County and maybe Midway.
Does Amtrak use Adams often? Was it made with NJT in mind?

In the game Delco is primarily used for Amtrak trains stopping at PJC. In my empirical observation Amtrak primarily uses County (45 MPH MAS). I don't recall being on a train that used Delco. Again, I don't ride Amtrak incredibly often, so it's possible it gets a good amount of use.

These smaller interlockings appear to be a tad newer. Aside from the higher speeds than Midway & County which are both 45 MPH, what was the purpose of these interlockings? To alleviate bottlenecks / provide alternatives to Midway & County?

Also, when were these interlockings made? This site says Adams was made in 2013, now idk if it's referring to the webpage or the interlocking. Plus the site is unsecure (that's the SEO in me talking) so take from it what you will :P .
http://www.usa.com/frs/amtrak-adams-interlocking.html

I found this site / document to be helpful with the track locations & names of these interlockings (pg 60 contains Adams & Delco).
- https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... Y21-26.pdf

I became pretty intrigued with this stretch after playing the game a bit and I wanted to learn more on its real life counterpart. Any info would be appreciated.

I thought about posting this in the NJT section, but since Amtrak owns these tracks, I thought it might be more appropriate here. If the mods feel the need to move it, go ahead.
  by NortheastTrainMan

Many thanks to the mods for merging these two topics.
As I suspected, Adams & Delco were made for NJT, recently too.
In particular for their Mid Line loop in North Brunswick which is supposed to be located between the two interlockings.
That said, the actual Mid Line loop seems to be in some sort of progress stage, since Adams & Delco interlockings are in place. But the rest of it is at a standstill for now.

So it looks like Dovetail Games (the makers of Train Sim World 3) took a liberty with diverging Amtrak trains from 3 to 4 at Delco instead of County, perhaps due to the 80 MPH MAS vs County's 45 MPH MAS. Thanks for the background info.