• Action at Rochester Junction

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by Brad Smith

Lots of heavy equipment working at Rochester Junction at the moment. The old Rochester Branch heading north out of the junction has recently been graded and is very well defined now. A front end loader was filling dump trucks with the asphalt millings which had been piled there and stoning the trail along the old ROW further down Rt. 251.

by scottychaos

cool!
the Rochester area is building quite the network of railtrails! :P
I like it.

So I take it the LV Rochester branch is going to be a railtrail connecting with the "LV mainline railtrail" at Rochester Junction?
how far north is the Rochester Branch trail going to run?

Lets see..We have the Greenway trail (PRR) which can currently be walked/biked from the War memorial in downtown Rochester all the way to Letchworth Park and further south.
(technically that trail is Erie from downtown Rochester to genesee Valley Park..then it picks up the PRR, but I consider the whole thing one railtrail..and it is, just 2 different doner railroads.)

The BeeBee station railtrail is being graded from Ridge Road north.
just need a few new bits of trail built to conect charlotte beach with the Greenway and the Erie Canal trail. (and of course these LV trails at Rochester Junction already connect to the Greenway.)

nice network in the works! :P

Lets see...last time I rode on any of the LV trails, the conditions were:
nice and smooth (graded) between the Greenway trail on the West side of the LV mainline Genesee River bridge, eastward to Rochester Junction.
then rough, undeveloped to Mendon.
then smooth, developed, again from Mendon a few miles eastward..
then very rough (undeveloped) heading east, I assume all the way to Victor..

are there plans to deveope the Entire LV mainline between the Greenway and Victor??
undeveloped parts of the LV mainline are very difficult to bike on..very rough with lots of ballast still in place.

Scot

by Brad Smith

I was on a schedule, so I couldn't explore the work zone too well. However, the equipment belonged to the Mendon Highway Dept., so I imagine the town line will be the end this grading project.