• Acela Replacement and Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by OrangeGrove

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:The former "El-Cap" hi-levels have parts that would require "reverse engineering" to create new parts,the car's batteries are are no longer
made,not that long ago,Beech Grove adapted 1 of the "Pacific Parlors" to use the Superliner's batteries instead of the originals.
The cars have not moved in years stored out in the open at that passenger car "boneyard" near a steel mill in Granite City IL.
Yup. The Parlours were heavily modified in prior overhauls to take whatever off-shelf parts they could physically handle, but they still require lots of unorthodox component self-fabrication and special expertise of long-defunct Budd blueprints for Beech Grove to maintain the cars. And that's a royal P.I.T.A. for them, as well as a much more problematic outlier now that all other self-fab Heritage maintenance have been purged from the roster. Since the Superliner III order (whatever gets cobbled together for that now that Sumitromo has thoroughly screwed AMTK on the bi-level design template) is going to include programmed replacements for all of the aging S1 Sightseer lounges, a hard cutoff is coming in the next decade for future Beech Grove maintenance of the Parlours that will preclude another midlife overhaul. There's zero reason to keep them when S3 Sightseers are likely to be produced in expanded quantities over the S1 Sightseers they replace and will feature lots more interior flexibility on the livery options to dress them up in nice configurations. That'll end up being the take-it-or-leave-it offer to the Pacific states for the Starlight. Either that or substituting the Pac Coast with an offer of refurbbed S1 Sightseers with new Parlour-facsimile upper-level livery if budgets are too constrained on doing nice things with S3 lounges. If the states really want their 5 historic cars that badly, they'll have to take on 100% ownership and self-maintenance. And they don't have capability of doing that because the maint bases in CA and WA don't have the parts fabrication ability of Beech Grove.
Amtrak already has announced plans to rebuild five Cross Country Cafe cars as Parlor Car replacements (further rebuild of the existing Hi-Levels was also said to be evaluated).

But what do the Pacific states have to do with any of this? The Coast Starlight is a long-distance (hence, completely federally funded) train.
The Santa Fe HiL's...yes, something doesn't smell right there for just how long they've been marketed as supposed plug-and-play acquisitions but gotten few-to-no sniffs from any potential buyers. You would think that even if they're an inherently low-odds option for any public-subsidy service on the map a premium-level private excursion carrier like the Rocky Mountaineer or Alaska RR would've taken a decently long look by now at evaluating (if not actually purchasing) a few of those units to add variety to their tourist-oriented rolling stock collections. But no...not even that much cursory interest. Something about those cars' condition or cost of operating is scaring everyone away on closer inspection, and has been doing so for many years now. That's a very big and pregnant elephant in the room.
The problem with marketing the ex-Santa Fe Hi-Levels reportedly has as much (or more) to do with Corridor Capital's conditions for overhaul and service of the cars (such as retaining ownership) as it does with the equipment itself. I would have expected they could outright sell at least some of the cars, but such is apparently not the business plan. So they sit.
  by mtuandrew

Maybe Corridor Capital will grab the Pacific Parlours to go along with the rest of the Hi-Levels. It seems to be a single-person operation in the CCRail office though. Unreasonable demands or poor management by the owner might be why the Hi equipment isn’t turning any wheels, rather than any equipment faults - they seem like they’d have been a pretty obvious pick for California for instance, instead of the Comarrows.

Anyway, we are way way off topic with those cars.
  by gokeefe

Here's an idea ... Corridor Capital buys the Acela sets. Then nothing further happens because no one wants them.
  by Matt Johnson

gokeefe wrote:Here's an idea ... Corridor Capital buys the Acela sets. Then nothing further happens because no one wants them.
Haha, way to get us back on topic with a totally plausible scenario! :)
  by Gilbert B Norman

mtuandrew wrote:Maybe Corridor Capital will grab the Pacific Parlours to go along with the rest of the Hi-Levels.
Good Lord, Mr. Stephens, what a piece of puff. 547 W. Jackson is the former Burlington Building; maybe there's a UPS or FedEx Store within giving them (him?) some semblance of a going business with a railroad tradition.

So far as the Parlours TRAINS Newswire reports they will be withdrawn during First Quarter '18 and cycled through Beech Grove for shopping.

And now, back to the Acelas.
  by CHTT1

The former Burlington Building, 547 W. Jackson, is Metra's headquarters. Maybe CC is renting a closet or something?
  by mtuandrew

CHTT1 wrote:The former Burlington Building, 547 W. Jackson, is Metra's headquarters. Maybe CC is renting a closet or something?
More likely that he spends his days at the Potbelly downstairs :P Interesting to note that CC also owns Steel Fleet I LLC, which is presumably the company actually holding the railcars. You can make up some fun shell corporations as a lawyer!

All of this stuff about the Hi-Levels and Corridor Capital makes me think that there has to be a sucker, er, investor out there who would buy the Acela I equipment (passenger cars, probably not power cars) for future use. As I’ve said previously, they are orphan cars, but 121 ready-to-run orphan cars are a pretty big fleet regardless of their complexity and lack of traps. Whether that investor/group will step forward, and whether Amtrak will sell to such a group, is another story.
  by Arlington

I am looking forward to seeing this thread focusing on Acela and talking (and picturing) Avelia pilot sets and hoping it delivers early (are there incentives in the contract to deliver early?)
  by Matt Johnson

Arlington wrote:I am looking forward to seeing this thread focusing on Acela and talking (and picturing) Avelia pilot sets and hoping it delivers early (are there incentives in the contract to deliver early?)
The "prototype"/first production model is supposed to roll in 2019, with the next ones not appearing until 2021. I assume that means they're allowing for some potential rework based on testing results. I'll be sad to see the first gen Acelas go, as I think they're beautiful trains, but given that the Avelia should be clearly superior in virtually every category I guess I can't complain. Being based on proven TGV & Pendolino heritage should bode well, though I don't believe that active tilt has ever been implemented on a shared truck/bogie articulated set before. I assume that Alstom knows what it's doing though, so I think there's reason for optimism that this will go more smoothly than the Bombardier Acela development (which of course was largely hampered by excessive weight of the trainset).
  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote:t there has to be a sucker, er, investor out there who would buy the Acela I equipment (passenger cars, probably not power cars) for future use.
There's certainly something to that. Recently I was in Argentina and there is a big criminal court case regarding an ex-government ministerial type who bought some used trains from Spain for use in Argentina. He reportedly got a few envelopes under the table from someone in Spain to grease the wheels. The rolling stock showed up looking like a victim of Penn Central.

If that happens once, it happens again. I wouldn't put it past someone to put in a bid for scrap + $1 on those cars and keep them somewhere like a shuttered steel mill. For quite a few years, someone was keeping about (20) F40PH at the mill in Joliet (the one from the movie Rudy, now closed) and someone else was keeping about (10) South Shore orange cars at a closed mill in East Chicago.
  by mtuandrew

Matt Johnson wrote:Can we add Jet Train to the Acela disposition discussion? Where the heck is that thing now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8s7pcqpc4c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last I heard, TTCI in Pueblo.
  by Arlington

mtuandrew wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Can we add Jet Train to the Acela disposition discussion
Last I heard, TTCI in Pueblo.
How about: "No, we cannot add JetTrain to this thread."
  by R36 Combine Coach

mtuandrew wrote:t there has to be a sucker, er, investor out there who would buy the Acela I equipment (passenger cars, probably not power cars) for future use.
The LRC cars were removed from the power units and continued in service. I see the same with Acela cars, perhaps VIA could buy to replace the LRC (provided modifications are made for low level platforms).
  by mtuandrew

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The LRC cars were removed from the power units and continued in service. I see the same with Acela cars, perhaps VIA could buy to replace the LRC (provided modifications are made for low level platforms).
I thought so too, but that depends on

a) VIA having the need for up to 120 cars
b) VIA having enough money for used cars but NOT enough for new cars
c) anyone having the ability to legally and safely install traps in these cars (VIA has demonstrated that they can remove tilting)

Easier for VIA to order new from Siemens or Alston (or Bombardier), or simply not expand their fleet.