• Access to Trains in Boston

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Rbts Stn

Greg Moore wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote: Of course Acelas are all push-pull
Not really. They have a power car at each end.

Generally when folks refer to push-pull they mean some sort of non-powered car at one end.
Of course.

I should have said "pull-pull"
  by Greg Moore

Rbts Stn wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote: Of course Acelas are all push-pull
Not really. They have a power car at each end.

Generally when folks refer to push-pull they mean some sort of non-powered car at one end.
Of course.

I should have said "pull-pull"
As long as no one calls them putt-putts.
  by David Benton

ajp wrote:whether this has any meaning.....
I've been on 2151 (5:10a departure) 4 times over that last 3 months. When I arrived at the main doors of South Station at 04:30 the guard would not anyone into the station - even in bad weather. Twice I waited and he only let us in at 04:50 get thru the station - get a ticket if necessary, and use the facilities if necessary. The last two times i followed the lead of some locals who went around the station and entered thru the platform end. There were all ready people waiting inside and the breakfast concession stand had been open since 04:30. Sowhat is the issie here? Is the front door lock an Amtrak issue or an MBTA issue?

p.s. there are usually 3 Acela train sets at the platforms at that time
looks like the guard is a sticker for detail , or none too bright.
  by ExCon90

The Brits call them "top-and-tailed." Another example of two countries separated by the same language, as the fella said.
  by george matthews

ExCon90 wrote:The Brits call them "top-and-tailed." Another example of two countries separated by the same language, as the fella said.
Probably a majority of trains in Britain have a driving compartment at each end. Fewer and fewer trains have separate locomotives.
  by markhb

Greg Moore wrote:Since they don't operate push-pull Amtrak trains (I have no idea about MBTA), if the engine is facing the station, it's arrived, and will only head to the yard. If it's at the end further from the station, it's more likely a scheduled train leaving in the near future.
I don't know if you meant in general or from South Station specifically, but all Downeaster trains do, in fact, run push-pull (not allowed to pull the diesel engines under the North Station roof), so for those from Maine whose primary Amtrak exposure is to that route, the cue you mention would be completely lost.

But the station being closed is stupid. As, for that matter, is the normal T shutdown time before last call (although I know they've changed some of that).
  by Greg Moore

markhb wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:Since they don't operate push-pull Amtrak trains (I have no idea about MBTA), if the engine is facing the station, it's arrived, and will only head to the yard. If it's at the end further from the station, it's more likely a scheduled train leaving in the near future.
I don't know if you meant in general or from South Station specifically, but all Downeaster trains do, in fact, run push-pull (not allowed to pull the diesel engines under the North Station roof), so for those from Maine whose primary Amtrak exposure is to that route, the cue you mention would be completely lost.

But the station being closed is stupid. As, for that matter, is the normal T shutdown time before last call (although I know they've changed some of that).
This thread has been pretty much about South Station, so that is what I was referring to.