• Acca Yard Info Request

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by xrywinx

Hey all,
I just moved to Richmond from Maine & boy is there a lot more train activity down here! It's a lot harder for me to keep track of what is what. I go by the Acca quite frequently in my week to week routine. Anyone got any info on what goes through here? Does the q171 & q173 still run? What sort of IMs are coming through here (in Maine it's almost entirely GM)? I'm starting from scratch so anything helps! Also scanner frequencies would help.
  by roberttosh

I'm far from an expert, but I believe there's two NB and two SB Intermodals between Jax and N. Jersey, something like Q172,173, 174 & 175. I also believe there's a Chicago-Portsmouth, VA Intermodal train that may run through Acca as well. The N-S, I-95 line may have another 10-12 manifests and the occasional coal or grain train. Not sure if all traffic on the old C&O goes through Acca, but I think one manifest off that line originates/terminates there and there's also coal trains, many going to Newport News, but again, not sure if they go through Acca. Between both lines, I'm guessing that CSXT must run at least 25-30 through trains a day through the city.
  by elbow

The trains to/from portsmouth do run through acca. Q302/Q303 on the C & O are built in Acca, the westbound backs down to fulton yard to switch onto the C&O, or the engines reverse once they pull in. When I lived in that area the coal traffic was directional, EBD loads coming in the C&O, with empties coming from fulton to acca, then on the buckingham branch west. Richmond is a great train town, don't miss out on all the other cool spots besides acca. The Ns yard in south richmond still uses a caboose on the turn to crewe. You can go up to the top of church hill and there are some parks up there that you can get a good arial view of fulton yard, and dont forget the triple crossing. Basically I think the shockoe bottoms area on the east side of town is great, especially with the elevated track.