Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

Something crossed my mind and I came up with a question. Have there been any AC-powered (catenary) EMUs built any time recently in this country? It seems to me all the EMUs running around are pretty old; the only EMUs built recentlyare the M7s. IIRC, AC EMUs have to have transformers to run -- which add to weight. So, considering FRA regulations today, one has to wonder just how heavy is the bare-minimum weight of a new straight-AC powered EMU these days? I mean, for example, would an M8 be much more heavier than the lightest permissible (if ever built) Silverliner V or Arrow IV (considering FRA-regs)?

by DutchRailnut

The M2 weighs 126 000 Lbs for A car and 129 000 for B car.
The M4 weighs 128 000 Lbs for A car and 124 000 for B car D car 129.500 Lbs
M6's are 133.00 for A car, 130 000 for B car, 133.000 for D car(center)
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tadman

It's not AC powered, but South Shore has some new MU's from about 2000 - the others are 1993 or 1983 vintage. Also, Metra is getting 26 bi-level catenary MU's to replace some but not all 1971-vintage highliners.

by 7 Train

Chicago South Shore's first order of modern cars was from Nippon-Sharyo (Tokyu Car) in 1982, which would later build the Metro-North M-4 in 1988. South Shore did have a second order in the 1990s.