• Abandoned underpasses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by trainsinmaine

The thread that I began on stone arch bridges has yielded some interesting info. Thanks to you all! (I'd like to keep the thread going, actually. Any more interesting arches to see out there?)

While we're on this subject, I think one of the neat surprises a railfan can have when driving out through the country is to go around a corner and suddenly encounter the abutments of an abandoned underpass. Many of these are made of stone, and some are pretty impressive (the ones off U.S. 20 in Chester, Mass., for example, that used to carry the tracks of the Chester Quarry branch of the B&A). Beautiful stone work there. Some of these old piers last held trains decades and decades ago, but are in remarkable condition.

Let's start a new thread: Who knows of interesting old underpass sites in New England? (I'm obviously interested in bridges and masonry.)

by Jedijk88

There's one on the old Williamsburg branch ROW of the NH in Leeds MA. It's right off Rt. 9.

by gprimr1

On the road to palmer ma you pass a VERY TALL grade that looks like it once carrier a train.
  by trainsinmaine

Re Palmer: Which road?

by NHN503

Epping, NH at Rt 27 & Rt 125 intersection. Old WN&P overpass

by w.r.branch

In the Town of Palmer, two sets of abutments are in the village of Bondsville on route 181, and Thorndike/Pleasant Streets. Then there are two in South Belchertown at Railroad St. and South Liberty St. These are from the Hampden Railroad. Another set is to the west in Ludlow.

by ewh

How about the CNE in New Hartford, CT where it basically flew over most of the downtown.

by bigbronco85

Some are in Berlin or Clinton for the old Central Mass along route 62, and there are some up in NH north of Fitchburg MA (Greenville???) along route 31 I went by a few times
  by trainsinmaine

I walked out over part of the Greenville trestle just a month or two before it was taken down. It was one impressive piece of architecture. It was a shame it was taken down --- I think it should have been preserved, with protective railings of some sort along both sides so it could have been walked or biked.

The abutments still stand, and look eerily like old Aztec ruins.