• Abandoned section near Summit

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by FRN9

I took the NJT train to Chatham today and I noticed that just east of Summit there is evidence of a line that junctioned off to the south. There are the remnants of a railroad bridge support and a clear right of way after it. I've looked on various E-L maps and see nothing of this. Any idea where this went?

Thanks,

F
  by Ken S.

That's part of the Rahway Valley Railroad.
  by FRN9

Thank you. I had no idea of this line.
  by sullivan1985

FRN9 wrote:Thank you. I had no idea of this line.
Green: DL&W Morris & Essex
Orange: CNJ Main
Red: Rahway Valley Railroad.

I'm sure there is more to their system. I'm not to familiar with their operations so please somebody else add if I missed any details.
RahwayValleyRR.jpg
  by JLo

You can even go see RVRR's little Engine No. 15 at Steamtown in Scranton.
  by CAR_FLOATER

There are also remnants of the New Jersey West Line RR in the Summit area.

CF
  by CJPat

sullivan1985 wrote:

I'm sure there is more to their system. I'm not to familiar with their operations so please somebody else add if I missed any details.
RahwayValleyRR.jpg
Sully, not intending to be a stone breaker or anything, but I think the orange line is the former LVRR? CNJ is not visible in that picture in that it parallels Rt 28 just off map. The Rahway Valley had a side branch that went SW towards and paralleled the Garden State Parkway until it crossed rt28 to join the CNJ (just west of the LVRR junction with the CNJ)
  by Jtgshu

CJPat wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:

RahwayValleyRR.jpg
Sully, not intending to be a stone breaker or anything, but I think the orange line is the former LVRR? CNJ is not visible in that picture in that it parallels Rt 28 just off map. The Rahway Valley had a side branch that went SW towards and paralleled the Garden State Parkway until it crossed rt28 to join the CNJ (just west of the LVRR junction with the CNJ)
Yea, I was very confused by that map - the orange is the LVRR, but the RVRR that would have been reactivated would have been that branch that you are referring to CJPat, and meets up with the CNJ near Aldene, across the CNJ(NJTs RVL) from where the SIRT which has been rebuilt roughly enters the picture. As far as I know, the lower red route shown on that Map is NOT the part to be reactivated of the RVRR. Where did that route shown meet up with the LL? Is that in Roselle Park just west of the station?
  by CAR_FLOATER

The interchange to the LV can never be rebuilt, it has been built upon.

CF
  by sullivan1985

CJPat wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:

RahwayValleyRR.jpg
You're right. I stand corrected.
  by AndyB

Car-Floater wrote:
I know there is a West Line Avenue in Union, NJ that was part of a graded right of way for the West Line RR but never built on
West Line Ave. Union,NJ
Where are the remnants in Summit?
  by nick11a

AndyB wrote:
Car-Floater wrote:
I know there is a West Line Avenue in Union, NJ that was part of a graded right of way for the West Line RR but never built on
West Line Ave. Union,NJ
Where are the remnants in Summit?
It came off of one of the tracks in the Yard (Don't think it's Hill City... Probably Track 2 which is also known as the Interchange Track.) And curve south. It was at an elevated grade and then crosses over Morris Avenue. I remember the bridge being there at Morris Avene as a kid but it has been removed for at least the past 9 years methinks.
  by CAR_FLOATER

Nick, it was nowhere near the yard. You are talking about the RVRR, Andy is asking about the NJWL.

The West Line would have crossed (at grade) the M&E near the junction with todays Gladstone Branch (which was the part of the West Line that was built) and went out thru the school that is on Kent Place Blvd.
The route, while graded has been mostly lost to development, as it wound it's way over towards Hobart Gap Rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey ... e_Railroad

I plan on leading an expidition this Spring to trace the railroad from Summit to the Union/Elizabeth border before too much foliage creeps in. During my research to wirite my LVRR book for Arcadia Publishing, I became even more interested in this railroad.

P.S. - Andy, as far as I know, the West Line Ave in Union is an unsubstantiated rumor, but I agree, it is pretty suspicious! I plan to confirm or deny that this year thru some serious research.

CF
Last edited by CAR_FLOATER on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by nick11a

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Nick, it was nowhere near the yard. You are talking about the RVRR, Andy is asking about the NJWL.

The West Line would have crossed (at grade) the M&E near the junction with todays Gladstone Branch (which was the part of the West Line that was built) and went out thru the school that is on Kent Place Blvd.
The route, while graded has been mostly lost to development, as it would it's way over towards Hobart Gap Rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey ... e_Railroad

I plan on leading an expidition this Spring to trace the railroad from Summit to the Union/Elizabeth border before too much foliage creeps in. During my research to wirite my LVRR book for Arcadia Publishing, I became even more interested in this railroad.

P.S. - Andy, as far as I know, the West Line Ave in Union is an unsubstantiated rumor, but I agree, it is pretty suspicious! I plan to confirm or deny that this year thru some serious research.

CF
Yup, you are right, I was talking about the RVRR and not the NJWL. I never knew that about the West Line and how it went through Kent Place School. That's pretty cool. My childhood orthodontist was right there and I never knew it. Amazing.