• Abandoned ROW's North of Boston (for the millionth time)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CSX Conductor

CharlieV wrote:I've never seen them, but my understanding is that there are a couple of old tunnels in Connecticut, long abandoned; plus the State Line tunnel on the CSX line on the Mass/NY border-- there were originally a westbound and an eastbound tunnel, but now just one of the two is used I think.

- Charlie V
Correct about CSXT's State Line Tunnel, if you even wanna call it that, LOL :P . The "tunnels" are only about 500 to 1000 feet long. Anyways, the southern portal is still used today with a maximum speed of 40MPH. If you ever get out to see it, you will notice that the south portal has much more height clearance. There was rumor that the north portal would be used again because there was talk about double-tracking that section again, but unfortunately I don't think we'll se that for quite some time, if at all. :(
  by Ed Canney

I was checking an old USGS map (date unknown) of Lawrence MA and noticed that the line out of South Lawrence was known as the Lawrence Branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad: running between Lawrence and Tewksbury Jct with stations in West Andover and another called Haggett’s Station just north of Tewksbury near Haggett's Pond. The line now only serves an industrial park in South Lawrence. Does anyone have information about this branch, when it was abandoned to Tewksbury.? Also, are there any remains of the line past the industrial park?

Thanks in advance.

by CSX Conductor

Ed,perhaps someone could help over in the Guilfordforum. :wink:

by Rockingham Racer

There is an industrial track leaving the main line where FA tower used to be, just north of Andover St. That may have been the original branch line, don't know.
  by musehobo

I found some traces of the branch around Haggett's a few years ago. I am also trying to find out if the building located where the West Andover station was, is the station. Walker Trans does not have a photo. The location is north of Route 495 at North St/ Handler St.

by ferroequinarchaeologist

Last time I was in that area, it was apparent somebody on Route 133 had built his driveway on top of the old roadbed.

PBM
  by scott_currier

Rockingham Racer wrote:There is an industrial track leaving the main line where FA tower used to be, just north of Andover St. That may have been the original branch line, don't know.
That's correct. There was a station at one time that served both lines. There were two boardwalks and they met at the point where the tower was.

The base of the tower is still visible.

The Lowell and Lawrence runs out to the industrial park. It's encroached upon and obliterated in many places but in West Andover there are a few places you can find it. It used to run right where 495 and 93 cross over each other.

You can see where it crosses 133 and it's intact up by Haggets pond heading towards 495.

It goes south a little bit, someone did build their driveway on it. It goes down to the next street.

The next time you see it again is a short distance north of where it went underneat the present freight main. Remains of the tunnel entrance are still there although the tunnel has been filled in.
  by scott_currier

musehobo wrote:I found some traces of the branch around Haggett's a few years ago. I am also trying to find out if the building located where the West Andover station was, is the station. Walker Trans does not have a photo. The location is north of Route 495 at North St/ Handler St.
Rick Nowell did an article on Lawrence and Lowell and vicinity in the and included some pictures of different stations. I know that he put in a picture of Haggetts. Not sure about West Andover.

If I think of it I'll ask Dick Symms if he has a picture of it at Walker.

Do you have a picture of that building that may be the station that you could send me? I'd like to take a look, if not I'll head out that way this Sunday.
  by scott_currier

Ed Canney wrote:I was checking an old USGS map (date unknown) of Lawrence MA and noticed that the line out of South Lawrence was known as the Lawrence Branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad: running between Lawrence and Tewksbury Jct with stations in West Andover and another called Haggett’s Station just north of Tewksbury near Haggett's Pond. The line now only serves an industrial park in South Lawrence. Does anyone have information about this branch, when it was abandoned to Tewksbury.? Also, are there any remains of the line past the industrial park?

Thanks in advance.
According to Formation of New England Raiil Systems, which I read a while ago, the line was known as the Lowell and Lawrence. Aside from what I posted previously, the line is still connected at Wamesit but is heavily overgrown a short distance from there. There is iron down all the way to North St.

The line used to serve an industrial customer there, if you look at 7.5 minute topos of the area you will also see it continue on and a spur going into Tewksbury Hospital.

From beyond North St to just north of the freight mainline it's for the most part obliterated.

Lisa and I went out and walked part of it just north of the freight main a couple of weeks ago.
  by citystation1848

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since this thread has seen the top of the forum! Anyways, I received an email the other day from a person in Windham, NH with interests of a fall bike ride. Any interest out there? Date would have to be October 29th. The Nashua River Rail Trail is a favorite since its a fairly easy line to ride, but are there any suggestions for a trail? I'd love to spend some time checking things out, but being in Springfield, MA, distance is a factor. What trails have you guys and gals biked?

One line I'd like to check out is the rail line that passes through Townsend, MA. I know the tracks are still in place for a stretch, but is this a possible line to bike? Perhaps it'd be better for a walk? Where would be a good place to start?

So again, October 29th for a bike ride... location anyone? I'm open to suggestions.

Matt
  by Agent at Clicquot

ThinkNarrow wrote:The [Marlboro] Branch ROW crosses 62 at a shallow angle. While it is easy to see on the left of the road, it is very difficult to discern on the right.
As of Sept '05, this was still the case.
ThinkNarrow wrote:Central Mass ROW, again left to right at an angle, that passed over route 62 on a bridge that was removed ten or fifteen years ago.
Is it me, or was there an open season on Central Mass' bridges? The only under grade bridge I could find in or around Hudson was the Assabet River crossing. I guess the scrapper had no use for a wooden trestle.

ThinkNarrow wrote:Until the [Marlboro] Branch was abandoned, the Central Mass passed over the [Marlboro] Branch on an additional bridge a few feet west of the bridge over route 62. [This bridge was later] was removed and replaced with a fill.

I rode the railtrail about a month ago and noticed earth piled up against the CM abutments. To paraphrase Paul Harvey, 'Now I know the rest of the story."

Next time I'm out there, I'll look for what's left of the interchange track.

There's still rail on the Marlboro Branch's (low) Assabet River bridge (the one adjacent to Rte 62).

ThinkNarrow wrote:At this point, the rail trail is following the original pre-1943 Maynard Branch ROW. Temporarily, the rail trail construction stops at this point.
And aside from a mile or two the town of Maynard uses as a unimproved, though public, access road ... the bike path pretty much ends there.
ThinkNarrow wrote:crossing the river again on a high trestle and proceeding toward Marlboro, including a new tunnel (!) under the connector that runs out to I-290.
That's kinda neat to ride through. A good place to hide if rain should spoil your ride. :-)

* JB *
  by SPUI

CharlieV wrote:I've never seen them, but my understanding is that there are a couple of old tunnels in Connecticut, long abandoned; plus the State Line tunnel on the CSX line on the Mass/NY border-- there were originally a westbound and an eastbound tunnel, but now just one of the two is used I think.
There are two tunnels near Norwalk on the New London Northern - one of them is the oldest railroad tunnel in the US still in use in its original configuration. (A short part of the Park Avenue tunnel approaching Grand Central in New York is older, but it's been connected to a longer tunnel on each side and been supplemented by another track in each direction through two newer tunnels. The first railroad tunnel in the US was on the Allegheny Portage Railroad west of Altoona, PA.)

There's also a tunnel under a hill on the Northeast Corridor in eastern New Haven, built to bypass a street-level section.
  by Cosmo

Actually, the first tunnle you mention is in NORWICH, not Norwalk! Sorry, but I live nearby and I gotta stand up and shout for my current town. There are also two tunnles (IIRC) out near Hawleyville, yes, long abandoned, on the old HP&F ROW from Hartford to Danbury. I belive H-ville is West of Waterbury, but dont quote me, as I've only gotten 4 hrs sleep in the past 24! (Damn Navy!)
I'd check on the NHRTHA forum as the Hawleyville bores are a frequent topic of disscussion. (A legend really, sort of an "Area 51" for NH fans... :P )
  by RRBUFF

There is a short tunnel in Norwalk Ct. on the line to Danbury just before coming into South Norwalk.
  by frrc

FYI, the Cities of Leominster and Fitchburg lost a $500,000 grant to convert the line from downtown Leominster to Fitchburg this week. The 4.2 miles of track was appraised at $1.5 million, supposedly CSX is asking $8 million for the line. All the rail and ties, and related signal boxes and grade crossing signals were removed a few months ago, wonder who paid for that ?