• A rare look at the 01400 Red Line work train!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by RailBus63

01400's with fluorescent lights? That's just not right.

JD

by typesix

They were originally intended to have fluorescent lights but were cut along with other things to save money.

by RailBus63

The 01400's were again supposed to receive fluorescent lights, air conditioning and sound insulation during the rebuilding program, but these features were deemed too expensive (history repeats itself!) and cut from the program. I'm not sure if it was the MBTA or the federal government who objected to the cost this time.

JD

by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:The great feature in the motorperson't cab that I liked and is not present on the newer cars even the 01800s is the "School Bus" fan that's on top of the windshield, I noticed it's the same fan issued on School Buses.
Perhaps they are not on the newer cars because the cars are equipped with air conditioning. I remember seeing that style of fan in older wide-body locomotives, which didn't have a/c. :wink:

by RailBus63

I just had the opportunity to go through the photos - I'm glad to see that the car interiors are largely intact. With some cleaning, it's still possible to do a fantrip with either a 2-car or even a 4-car set.

I still think the MBTA is blowing it - those 01400's restored to a brand-new coat of blue and white paint with sparkling gold trim would make a heck of a historic train.
Robert Paniagua wrote:Also, 01480 was ridden on back in Jan 1980 by a present Forum Participand (RailBus63), so I'm sure he's glad that his favourite car coach is still here.
Yep - a Sunday evening cab ride with a motorman friend from Harvard-Brattle to Ashmont, with me at the controls from Savin Hill to the point right before we coasted into Ashmont. Certainly one of the highlights of my railfan life, and not likely to ever be duplicated in these security-conscious times. And, yes, 01480 was very special to me after that evening and I'm very glad to see it is still running over those Red Line rails to this day.

Jim D.

by Robert Paniagua

Perhaps they are not on the newer cars because the cars are equipped with air conditioning. I remember seeing that style of fan in older wide-body locomotives, which didn't have a/c. :wink:

I think you're most likely right, the newer units have AC in the cabs, nothing else that I heard of anyways.

Yep - a Sunday evening cab ride with a motorman friend from Harvard-Brattle to Ashmont, with me at the controls from Savin Hill to the point right before we coasted into Ashmont. Certainly one of the highlights of my railfan life, and not likely to ever be duplicated in these security-conscious times. And, yes, 01480 was very special to me after that evening and I'm very glad to see it is still running over those Red Line rails to this day.

Right on, I remember you telling me that story, and I'm glad you had fun back then, I had a similar experience on board MBCR F40 1068 at Rockport when the train operator allowed me to climb into the cab to get a picture taken in the engine's cab.

I just had the opportunity to go through the photos - I'm glad to see that the car interiors are largely intact. With some cleaning, it's still possible to do a fantrip with either a 2-car or even a 4-car set.

Yeah, me too. They were awesome! And yes, there's plenty of provision for a fantrip in that train, and they could use the old white/blue paint scheme once again.

by sery2831

They were originally intended to have fluorescent lights but were cut along with other things to save money.
Actually that's an interesting point! Some of the 0700s(like 0719 at Seashore) was rebuilt with fluorescent lighting!!! And these cars didnt come with that technology. I think 0719 is a very neat car.

And I am glad you all like the pictures :-)

by typesix

0719 is better than a 01400 car.

by CSX Conductor

Sorry Robert, but I can't bite my tongue on this one......the MBCR does not have "train operators", they have engineers.

by Robert Paniagua

I see. I forgot that word. Have you seen 1068 around lately? I have in the Southside.

Also, ST214 got a cab ride himself on 1012 around 6 years ago.

by GP40MC 1116

I have some photos from 01450 while i was up at Seashore just in December for a day. If i can figure out how to post them here, I will share it with everyone. Any help is appreciated

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good! you can also provide a link if you have them posted on your personal web site (if you have one) and post the link.

by GP40MC 1116

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh good! you can also provide a link if you have them posted on your personal web site (if you have one) and post the link.
http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... y=bkennedy

That is my NERAIL section with one interior shot of the 1400 series car at STM. I have more i took, just let me know what you all want to see

by astrosa

Got any cab shots?

Thanks for posting those ones!

by GP40MC 1116

astrosa wrote:Got any cab shots?

Thanks for posting those ones!

I have 10-11 shots total of 01450. Let me know if you guys want to see them, these are the most recent shots of the 01450 as the cab end doors are locked and I had the key, their is another 01400 series car parred up with that one, but i did not get into that to take pictures. On my trip to Seashore on that day (Dec 4, 05) i took shots of mostly MBTA or MTA equiptment, outside shots and some interior shots as u can see of 01450 and a PCC, as well as 2 T busses.