• 567-B top deck covers

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by BR&P

Trying to put Durox Vector oil deflectors on a 12-567-B. This B engine has older style top deck covers - they are not hinged in the back, rather the whole cover lifts off and can be removed from the engine compartment.

These covers have reinforcement ribs running laterally, or from the center of the engine outward toward the sides so to speak. These extend downward the full height of the cover, and on 8 of the 12 cylinders they hit the plastic Vector and prevent the top deck cover from closing completely.

The obvious solution APPEARS to be removal or cutting back of these reinforcing pieces. Removal of the reinforcement might reduce rigidity of the cover, allowing warpage and preventing proper a seal. Or maybe it won't be a problem. Has anyone encountered this problem? Anybody "been there, done that"?

Thanks!

by GOLDEN-ARM

Contact Doug Tedeschi, at Durox. It sounds as if you got the wrong parts. The lift-off piece is supposed to use a notched gasket, for clearances. Ask him, to steer you in the right direction. Don't modify the Durox part to fit, it will void the warranty on the piece. Regards :wink:

by BR&P

Thanks Golden-Arm. I did speak with Durox, and what I have is the only type they make. These apparently fit 567-C and up including 645's, but the old 12-567-B is different.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'm not talking about modifying the plastic Vector shields, I'm talking about notching out or removing the metal reinforcing pieces inside the top deck cover itself. If I don't find somebody who has done so on here, I'm going to see if I can find an old top deck cover I can play around with, that way if it does not work we're not out of service. I'm sure somebody has a scrap cover somewhere.

As a last resort I've already talked with a shortline nearby which has some newer EMD's and they may buy the Vectors from us.

by txbritt

How much notching would be required for a fit? We've got some 567B's at work and I'll take a look at the bottom of the covers, and try to speak to the CMO and get his opinion.

TxBritt

by BR&P

Thanks TxBritt, but I decided the majority of the oil leaks I saw were probably not going to be solved by the Vectors anyway. After giving everything a real good cleaning it appears the oil is not coming out from under the covers, it's coming from between the top deck and the block - there is a seam there and it's weeping through in a few spots.

We already have a policy of wiping down the block after each run, time and energy permitting, so we'll continue that. After consideration, we decided to leave the 567-B top deck covers as made rather than carving them up to make the Vectors fit. They are pretty rigid now and modification might make them flex more and seal less. The old girl is doing OK at the moment and we'll just leave well enough alone I guess.

Thanks again to those who offered suggestions.