• 5020 gets a new paint job at New Carrollton yard!

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Mirai Zikasu

At first look, I thought this was a new ad-wrapped car. On second look, I realized that it was graffiti was on an ad-wrapped car. Sadly, the two blend together rather well.

by jerryinva

How did they manage to get access to the car to do all that?

Kind of scary... strikes up images of NY's cars... is that where we are headed?

But....thanks for the pic....

by Sand Box John

"jerryinva"
How did they manage to get access to the car to do all that?

Based on what I can see it looks like it was done in one of the yards as the graffiti extends form below the windows to below the door thresholds. My guess it was likely done at Brentwood. The perimeter fence in the areas around the north end of that yard are somewhat isolated.

by Mirai Zikasu

jerryinva wrote:Kind of scary... strikes up images of NY's cars... is that where we are headed?
Much as I've ranted about what appears to be a disregard for system aesthetics on the part of the Catoe administration, I doubt that he would ever let things get so bad as to have graffiti-covered cars run through the system (though whether or not graffiti removal could be added to Metro's list of excuses to raise fares, I don't know). Out of curiosity, has there been a surge of graffiti in the last year or so? Earlier in the year, I seemed to end up on a lot of cars on the Blue and Orange Lines that had either seats or walls with marker graffiti. I know Metro can't do much to stop something like that unless they either put guards or cameras in every car, but it seems that all of a sudden, graffiti started showing up out of nowhere.

by Sand Box John

"Mirai Zikasu"
Much as I've ranted about what appears to be a disregard for system aesthetics on the part of the Catoe administration, I doubt that he would ever let things get so bad as to have graffiti-covered cars run through the system (though whether or not graffiti removal could be added to Metro's list of excuses to raise fares, I don't know). Out of curiosity, has there been a surge of graffiti in the last year or so? Earlier in the year, I seemed to end up on a lot of cars on the Blue and Orange Lines that had either seats or walls with marker graffiti. I know Metro can't do much to stop something like that unless they either put guards or cameras in every car, but it seems that all of a sudden, graffiti started showing up out of nowhere.

WMATA has had a policy from day one to remove graffiti from car interiors as quickly as practically possible. The surge you may be seeing is likely the result of graffiti being applied at a rate greater then the rate that it can be removed.

Shortly after the first 6k cars were put in revenue service last fall I road aboard 6024. It had been tagged on the seat side of the wind partition adjacent to door leaf 9.

by Mike Morris

Car was "painted" In New Carrollton yard.
Metro is very good about pulling cars that get "painted".

by Robert Paniagua

Oh no!! Now, the Grafitti is coming down to WMATA's way, here in Boston, we had a few Red/Orange Line Cars as well as Commuter Rail coaches get tagged like that too, and recently NYCTA has recently had grafitti on some of it's rolling stock. And this car in WMATA 5020, they did a heck of a job, just like the full length R10 thru R46 cars in New York in the 70s and 80s.

by Capitol City Rider

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I saw the picture above and had to comment. I grew up in NYC in the 80's and remember seeing the trains painted with a lot of graffiti, but I thought that nobody did it anymore because the subways are always clean. I've been riding the Metro for the past 9 years and have never seen anything like this. Although I know it is illegal, I think I would get a kick of seeing that train pull into the station to get on, however, I would hate it if the Metro's started looking like the NYC trains of the 80's. You've got to be half-crazy to even do something like this given all the third rails, cameras, and security of the Metro. I would guess that this hardly ever happens, so nice job on the rare photo. Probably won't see anything like this again for the next couple of years.....

by Sand Box John

"Capitol City Rider"
. . . You've got to be half-crazy to even do something like this given all the third rails, cameras, and security of the Metro. . .

Here is a dirty little secret that most are not aware of. WMATA's property outside of the station entrances, mezzanines and platform have nothing more then a chain link fence securing their right of ways and yards. There are no cameras or regular foot patrols along their right of ways or in the yards. As to the issue with the third rail, one can safely move around within close proximity of the third rail without getting electrocuted.

by mtaworkhorse

i noticed along alot of tracks there are black electrical wires that are connected to the fencing and eventually to blue lights what are those?

by WMATAGMOAGH

mtaworkhorse wrote:i noticed along alot of tracks there are black electrical wires that are connected to the fencing and eventually to blue lights what are those?
Emergency call boxes that have a direct line to the OCC, and I think also have the capability to shut off third rail power in the area.

by mtaworkhorse

oh so its just for a call box its not like a tremble sensor or anything i saw it and thought it was some national security type of thing. they have them along all the tracks everywhere. i never saw anythign like that before. good to know that the system is safe. i was riding the liens and saw one of the blue lights flashing must had to do with that.

by Sand Box John

"mtaworkhorse"
i noticed along alot of tracks there are black electrical wires that are connected to the fencing and eventually to blue lights what are those?

"WMATAGMOAGH"
Emergency call boxes that have a direct line to the OCC, and I think also have the capability to shut off third rail power in the area.

Actually the black cables on the right of way fences are not connect to third rail trip station call boxes. Those black cables are separate system used to detect the penetration of the right of way fence. They are on the fences that are adjacent to parallel railroad and highway right of ways. When the cable is broken by a derailed train or motor vehicle penetrating the right of way fence an alarm is sounded, displayed and logged in the Operation Control Center.

by Capitol City Rider

Oops double post... please see next page.
Last edited by Capitol City Rider on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.