• 5 VRE locomotives failed in March

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

5 of VRE's locomotive failed this month stranding passengers for over an hour.

Roeber said VRE will closely look at what caused Monday’s delays.

“If it was a mechanical part that broke, such as a non-working piston, then that is something our mechanics could have not foreseen,” Roeber said. “If it was something like a hose that was not connected properly, and it was something that could have been prevented, we’ll make that determination and address the problem with our riders.”

VRE has purchased nine new locomotives in an attempt to update its equipment and minimize delays.

They are expected to roll into service in 2010.

Roeber said the engines, which cost about $34 million, were paid for in part by federal stimulus money and by local and state tax dollars.

Roeber said the agency needs a total of 20 new engines to keep up with demand.

“We’re looking into ways to get an earmark of some sorts to purchase the remaining engines and put them into service sooner than later,” said Roeber.

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/loca ... ays/32830/
  by gp40marc69

That probably explains why P336 was cancelled one day in March. I was planning on listening to my scanner on that train from Manassas to Union Station. VRE's trains always seem to break down very frequently as opposed to MARC. First it went from about 60 minutes late to over 2 hours late to cancelled. I don't see how those commuters can deal with all those breakdowns and late trains on a daily basis minus the freight traffic.