• 44 Tonners

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Narrowgauger

Heres a question.....Are there any 44 tonners still operating in New England? I dont think the C&C still is. How about anyone else?
Thanks Ted
  by shadyjay

Conn Eastern RR Museum has one, which sometimes operate on their limited museum trackage in Willimantic CT.

Danbury Railway Museum (Danbury CT) has 2, with 1 of them operational, IIRC.

Conway Scenic (N. Conway NH) had 2... #15 I think went to Canada. #380 is ex-New Hampshire Central and I believe is still on CSRR property, though not in use.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Fletcher Granite in Westford, MA has still got theirs: http://goo.gl/maps/tYNRr.
  by GP40MC1118

Rhode Island:
Old Colony & Newport - Two 45T GE's and 1 privately-owned 45T Porter
Newport Dinner Train - Two 44T GE's

Massachusetts:
Norton Company/Worcester - 65T GE
Fletcher Granite - This is a 65T or 80T GE...NOT a 44T

New Hampshire:
Ciment Quebec/Bow - 50T centercab GE

Dave
  by RonM

CT Trolley Musuem, Warehouse Point. Former US Army. Low cab(?) Out of Service.
  by Cosmo

shadyjay wrote:Conn Eastern RR Museum has one, which sometimes operate on their limited museum trackage in Willimantic CT.

Danbury Railway Museum (Danbury CT) has 2, with 1 of them operational, IIRC.

Conway Scenic (N. Conway NH) had 2... #15 I think went to Canada. #380 is ex-New Hampshire Central and I believe is still on CSRR property, though not in use.
There are two, supposedly still operable, out at the TILCON Reed's Gap quarry in Durham/Wallingford, CT.
At least one of them is an ex NHRR engine.
  by boatsmate

The Valley RR in Essex has 2 of them also 0900 and 0901 both operate on a regular basis
  by Tracer

Does the white mountain central rr have one? Ex. Army or something?
  by Narrowgauger

Tracer wrote:Does the white mountain central rr have one? Ex. Army or something?

You know....I think your right. It might be a 65 tonner now that I think about. But it is a GE switcher that I didnt think about !
  by douellet

The White Mountain Central does have an ex Army center cab GE. They were using it last time I stopped there a few years ago. Their Climax steam engine was being repaired. I think it's bigger than 44 tons, but it looks a lot like one.
  by Cosmo

boatsmate wrote:The Valley RR in Essex has 2 of them also 0900 and 0901 both operate on a regular basis
Those are both 80 tonners. Very similar body style and hard to tell from the 44's unless you put em side by side.
  by ebtmikado

Cosmo wrote:
boatsmate wrote:The Valley RR in Essex has 2 of them also 0900 and 0901 both operate on a regular basis
Those are both 80 tonners. Very similar body style and hard to tell from the 44's unless you put em side by side.
VERY EASY to tell the difference: 80 tonners have "front porches", 44 tonners do not.
Lee