Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by pgengler

I was waiting for my train to leave NYP this morning, I took to looking around at what else was around, and I could have sworn I saw #4113 there (the number, anyway ... I didn't get a look at what it was attached to). Needless to say, I was confused, since (according to hobokenterminal.com, anyway), 4113 is an F40PH-2CAT.
Could I actually have seen there, or did I probably just see a '4' as a '1'?

by nick11a

Well, I'm not gonna say you didn't see it, cause as they say, in the RR, anythings possible. However, it is highly unlikely you saw 4113. Diesels aren't aloud to operate through the tunnels into NYP. The only diesels I've seen in NYP are Amtrak work diesels and Amtrak dual mode diesels as well as (I think) LIRR dual mode diesels. And any non-dual mode diesel has to be (I believe) towed into NYP through the tunnels unpowered.

Weird stuff does happen though. I once saw a Comet IB in a mixed Comet IIM, III, IV and V set back in Janurary of 2002- but people are still finding that one hard to swallow.

by Jtgshu

You probably saw the 4413, an ALP44.

I don't think F40's can fit in the North River tunnels....i could be wrong though.

And Amtrak diesels do operate in NYP terminal itself, albeit not often, thank god - there was one Saturday night, the entire lower level 8th ave concourse was FULL of diesel smoke and fumes. I think it was a yard switcher, or the yard Geep, not an Empire train - finally someone realized that the exhuast fans weren't on, and cranked them on - there are several TREMENDOUS fan down on track level to suck out exhaust fumes and they turned them on and the station cleared out pretty fast, but at the same time, the temp dropped about 20 degress in the station itself, along with down on the platforms - it was down right windy!!!

by pgengler

Thanks ... I thought that I was seeing it wrong; I wish I had gotten a better look so I'd know for sure.

by F40

One way to distinguish a F40 from an ALP44 is the grooves that the ALP has and the F40 doesn't have. If you looked at the front of the locomotive, I think the font of the numbers are also different than the ones in the front of F40's. ALP44's have the Ariel or Courier font, and the F40's (not sure about 4113 but..) have some weird font. Also, the ALP44's have bright, white lights that light its #, and not sure what kind of light is used to illuminate the number on the F40's. (Is it yellow incandescent?)

by sullivan1985

Would have been an intresting sight though to see an F40 in tow behind an ALP46 & Solid C5 consist on the High Line.

by njt5140

F40 wrote:and the F40's (not sure about 4113 but..) have some weird font.
All the F40's except 4113 have new (1997-98 rebuild) number boards. 4113 is the only one with its as delivered number boards.

by nick11a

njt5140 wrote:
F40 wrote:and the F40's (not sure about 4113 but..) have some weird font.
All the F40's except 4113 have new (1997-98 rebuild) number boards. 4113 is the only one with its as delivered number boards.
Huh, you're right. Never realized that. Cool.

by F40

Thanks for the pictures njt5140. Yes, I do remember seeing the 4113 like that. I had trouble remembering.

by thebigc

nick11a wrote: Weird stuff does happen though. I once saw a Comet IB in a mixed Comet IIM, III, IV and V set back in Janurary of 2002- but people are still finding that one hard to swallow.
Here we go again! :-D :-D

by nick11a

thebigc wrote:
nick11a wrote: Weird stuff does happen though. I once saw a Comet IB in a mixed Comet IIM, III, IV and V set back in Janurary of 2002- but people are still finding that one hard to swallow.
Here we go again! :-D :-D
You know it. To the day I die, I'll swear on my deathbed that I saw a Comet IB in a newer Comet set- just that once!

Haha. :-D

by njt5140

nick11a wrote:You know it. To the day I die, I'll swear on my deathbed that I saw a Comet IB in a newer Comet set- just that once!

This is why I carry a cell phone camera for just such an incident!

by mcmannors

njt5140 wrote:
nick11a wrote:You know it. To the day I die, I'll swear on my deathbed that I saw a Comet IB in a newer Comet set- just that once!

This is why I carry a cell phone camera for just such an incident!
That's also why the authorities carry strait jackets as well! ;-)

by njt5140

mcmannors wrote:That's also why the authorities carry strait jackets as well! ;-)
Well, a strait jacket would only be required if someone said they saw Newsday at a place like the former Circle K in Kendall Park or see someone jumping over the inter track fence at Bound Brook and hop onto the train!