• 2017 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dm1120

Providence line in particular not faring well today at all. Keolis is blaming the weather.
  by dbperry

Well actually Keolis is correctly blaming Amtrak for switch problems. Earlier frozen doors problem is on Keolis but that didn't seem to create serious delays.
  by Bramdeisroberts

805 is now 55 minutes behind schedule. It's like Keolis has thrown in the towel and just isn't trying anymore.
  by Steve Wagner

On Thursday, February 9 I missed the 6:31 a.m. inbound from West Concord by about a minute. Had a second breakfast in the Club Car Cafe in the old depot while confirming Harvard Law School was open. Caught the 7:31, which was almost empty. The school's authorities decided by about 10:25 to shut the place down at noon. I caught the 1:10 from Porter Square. The two trains I rode were on time or nearly so and the several others I saw, including expresses both ways in the morning, appeared to be as well. Ridership was light, since the governor had the afternoon before told all "nonessential" workers in the executive branch to stay home, nearly all schools were closed, and the state's DOT had advised everyone not to drive except in emergencies.

The worst part of day was driving the four miles between West Concord and my home in Maynard, about 1:45 -- 2:15 p.m. Even Route 62 hadn't been properly plowed, the snow was falling heavily, and visibility was minimal. Very dangerous.
  by Bramdeisroberts

I wonder if they're triaging service to different lines to preserve average on-time stats.
  by Diverging Route

Dozens of T-Alerts for the PVD line today. Frozen switches, frozen doors, medical issues... and more. A few trains departed from PVD instead of WIK, and 842 the Attleboro short-turn was cancelled.
  by Diverging Route

Delays in the forecast!
The commuter rail is operating on a regular weekday schedule Monday, 2/13. Please use caution traversing platforms and parking lots.

Franklin, Needham, Providence and Stoughton trains may experience delays of 10-20 minutes due to modified Amtrak operations.

Addtionally, some Providence/Stoughton trains may not be able to stop at TF Green or Ruggles stations due to modifications to Amtrak switch usage during the storm. Ruggles passengers will be accommodated at no cost on the Orange Line from Back Bay. TF Green passengers may consider RIPTA service to Providence Station. Service alerts for individual trains will be sent advising of any changes as early as possible.

Last updated: Feb 12 2017 04:50 PM
  by dm1120

Epic failure on the Providence line this morning. I'm on the 804 and it just took an hour to get from Sharon to 128. Now we're stopping at Hyde Park and Ruggles too.
  by Diverging Route

46 T-Alerts from 0555-0800 due to the problem at Canton Malfunction Junction. Once 241s could be issued, trains had to run at restricted speed until the next automatic (east of RTE). Many trains were > an hour late.

842 was short-turned at Mansfield, running an hour late. At least two Stoughton trains I saw were cancelled.

The first inbound at RTE (800) finally arrived at 0720.

And...
Providence Train 904 (7:50 am inbound) will deboard passengers at Canton Jct where they will board Trains 808 and 810 and continue inbound.
Affected direction: Inbound
Affected trips:
808 (6:35 am from Wickford Junction)
810 (7:30 am from Providence)
904 (7:50 am from Stoughton)
  by Frode

I was on Train 808 from Mansfield which picked up the delayed Train 842's passengers as well and made all stops. At Canton Junction, the passengers from the cancelled Train 904 also got on, so 3 trains' worth of people on one train. Needless to say it was standing room only and little of that available. Also an hour late. What can be done to fix Canton Junction? Is it just old switch equipment prone to failure or something else?
  by Diverging Route

6+ hours later, it's still going on. I sure hope it's resolved by rush hour today!
  by dbperry

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/ ... 9880449024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

photo at link above:
"Amtrak electricians today installed new circuit boards in a signal house that was damaged by an electrical arc, causing @MBTA_CR delays"
  by Diverging Route

Significant delays continue this afternoon.

The T-Alerts are getting interesting. This one has some "Alternate Facts." :P
Stoughton Line notice: All passengers on Train 915 will board alternate train at Canton Junction Station continuing en route to Stoughton.
Affected direction: Outbound
Affected trips:
915 (4:20 pm from South Station)
And this one is pretty hip -- now we have "PRO" trains! No amateurs here...
Stoughton Train 917 (5:12 pm outbound) is cancelled today due to an Amtrak signal issue. Psngrs going to Stoughton will board Pro trains to Canton Jnct for additional shuttle.
  by Diverging Route

And the best T-Alert of all, includes the new North-South Rail Link!
Providence Train 821 (4:30 pm from South Station) is operating 25-35 minutes late between Canton Junction & Wachusett due to an Amtrak signal issue.

Affected direction: Outbound

Last updated: Feb 17 2017 05:23 PM