Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by farmerjohn

I saw this 2 days ago and again today. Out in the Colton Union Pacific yard near the tower in the yard is 2 brand new Metrolink F59PH locomotives linkd head to head. What they doing out their? Besides seeing that, 96 to 98 UP locomotives of all diffrent types that have been sitting on a main track for weeks. Ill try and get some photos.
  by Fan Railer

farmerjohn wrote:I saw this 2 days ago and again today. Out in the Colton Union Pacific yard near the tower in the yard is 2 brand new Metrolink F59PH locomotives linkd head to head. What they doing out their? Besides seeing that, 96 to 98 UP locomotives of all diffrent types that have been sitting on a main track for weeks. Ill try and get some photos.
more like the MPI MP36-3C,
i had the impression that they don't make the F59PH's anymore, unless its a paint job...
  by pennsy

To the best of my knowledge, F-59PH engines are out of production. The F-59PHI engines are still in production. These have a nose similar to the MP units described, a tear drop front. The MP -36 units have two panes of glass in the windshield, while the F-59PHI units have three panes of glass in the windshield. Other differences can be checked out with the latest version of the Diesel Spotters Guide.
  by DutchRailnut

The F-59PHI engines are still in production.

Not true, the last F59phi's were produced years and years ago, believe last units built were in 1998.
The deisgn does not meet current requirements for corner collision post
  by farmerjohn

Ill be sure to snap a picture. Will be driving by their again Saturday. Hopefully the 2 units are out their and I can set my camera on a tripod and snap a picture using my remote while driving. lol
  by timz

Don't put too much effort into getting the pic-- if you show us some new F59s we won't believe it anyway.
  by farmerjohn

wow first time ive gotten sarcasm on this board. :-D
  by Penn Central

The MP36s do look a lot like the F59PHI. The way to spot an MP36 is the single number board located in the center of the nose and four windshield panels as opposed to three on the F59PHI. Here's a photo I took of an F59PHI on the left and MP36 on the right at Union Station recently.

by farmerjohn

Ya thats one of the 2 new ones I saw going down the freeway in the Colton U.P. yard.
You ride on the comet car yet?
  by scotty269

farmerjohn wrote:Ya thats one of the 2 new ones I saw going down the freeway in the Colton U.P. yard.
Comet's aren't that much to write home about :P
  by Penn Central

farmerjohn wrote:Ya thats one of the 2 new ones I saw going down the freeway in the Colton U.P. yard.
I saw the Comet cars in LAUS, then later in the Metrolink Yard. Some others were stored in the Amtrak Yard. I didn't see any in service on Metrolink.

Here is a string of Comets in the Metrolink Yard near Glendale.