• 2-6-2t in Lincoln NH?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by truman

A few years ago a group in Lincoln NH restored an old steam engine and had gotten it working. I believe it was a 2-6-2 tank engine that had sat in front of a mill for decades. Does anyone know what became of it?

by DutchRailnut

here is database for NH steam locomotives.
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/NH.shtml
  by Meyblc

I think the 2-6-2 that you are talking about up at Tilton was the ex-Wolfboro RR engine. I also remember seeing it sitting up at Tilton right at the edge of the road by the Hobo mini-golf place there. I think from there it went to Concord NH and sat there for a while. I have digital pictures of it in the Concord yard. From there I think it was moved somewhere down to Mass. From what I heard, it was cosmetically restored once it got to Mass.

by TomNelligan

I'm guessing that there may be some confusion here between the East Branch & Lincoln 2-4-2T (not a 2-6-2) that was on display at Loon Mountain for many years, and the former Wolfboro RR 2-6-2 (not a tank engine). Since the former came from the Lincoln area I think that's the one the original poster was asking about.

by superwarp1

Man, do I remember the Wolfboro RR. Wish it was still around.

by truman

It was not Wolfboro's old 2-6-2. Of that I am certain. As I remember the story, which appeared in a newspaper, The Union Leader I think, a group had restored to working condition a 2-6-2T that had sat out in front of a factory or business since the early 1960's. Considering the storys source, its easy to understand the confusion about the wheel arrangement.

by BayColony1706

Hi,
are you referring to the Locomotive that sat outside Loon Mt? It is a 2-4-2T Baldwin (East Branch & Lincoln #5) that is now running on the White Mt Central Railroad at Clark's Trading post. I have had the privelage to be a fireman on that locomotive, and it is amazing how well kept it was.

by b&m 1566

The former steam engine of the Wolfeboro Railroad is now on display at the Edaville Railroad. I also remembered it sitting at the Wye in Lincoln back in the early 90's. Little surprised the Clark family didn't try to restore it for themselves.